• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The LoveFab LF600 Complete Package, A Real-time Documentation

Hi everyone,

Dan initially contacted us in 2011 when we posted a used Angus turbo system for sale off of another NSX(coincidentally, the owner's name was also Dan, this Dan's findings were recorded here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-Dyno-Comparison-LoveFab-vs-quot-Brand-X-quot). We boxed up the kit, and shipped it to him, along with an emailed basemap. Dan installed the system, and was happy....for awhile.

dannsx440whp_zps03c91127.jpg

Fast forward two years, and Dan was looking for more power. We sent emails back and forth regarding equipping his NSX with a LoveFab LF600 engine package, and using the Angus kit with some upgrades to handle the additional power. When pennies were crunched, it made sense to preserve the Angus kit as a whole, sell it, and start fresh with the LoveFab LF600 Turbo system, paired with the LoveFab LF600 engine package. When combined into one job, the savings are pretty substantial. So while visiting family out east, Tabitha and I made the trip up to Dan's house to pick up his NSX to begin the process.

IMG_20131005_110235_226_zpsd0de914e.jpg

Upon returning to the shop, we promptly unloaded Dan's NSX from the trailer, and strapped it to our Dyno. We were not expecting anywhere near the same numbers as above, and we were right.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f9dkThrsinY?list=UUpnCW-3Zd0xdbVyhoj_LMRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With a baseline number established, we are digging in, and shooting for ~550WHP on 92 octane pump gas, on our Dyno. First up is turbo system removal(to be shipped to the new owner asap). Then the fun begins: engine removal, engine teardown, the machining process, engine cleaning and assembly, turbo system installation, engine break-in, and finally engine tuning, test driving. This process should take 4-6 weeks without any major unexpected hitches(there is always something!!), and we will document the entire thing real-time, as the vast majority of members on here have no idea what kind of intensive work goes into a build like this. We have four other engine builds in the process as well, so progress on Dan's build will stop, and start again, as those engines come out of machining, as they were first in line. Our goal is to get Dan's engine to machining asap, and complete these other jobs while we wait for Dan's parts to be finished.

To kick it off, here we go!

IMG_20131015_181130_891_zps14a82d45.jpg

IMG_20131015_181618_264_zpsbefa0bdd.jpg

After a hectic week of logistics at the shop, we are cruising. We have two other motors coming out of machining this week, so perfect timing for this one to go in.

IMG_20131023_184356_520_zps2a12b425.jpg

Everything is labeled and stored until after the engine comes out of the build room. In this particular case, the turbo system is being boxed up and shipped out.

IMG_20131024_114151_674_zps95a0cb19.jpg

On to the build room for disassembly and inspection!

We had to jump to two other older builds that had priority, right when Dan's engine popped out of machining. Assembly has begun, and we will begin the turbo installation as soon as the engine is installed.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388293458965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388293458965.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,431
1496399_602222926497415_1597918575_o.jpg

Short block is together. We weren't happy with the rod bearing tolerances so we re-ordered a looser bearing to meet our goals. The engine will be in the car before the weekend, and the turbo system installation can then begin.

- - - Updated - - -

1534723_602331846486523_1301340567_o.jpg

These are the parts destined for Dan's NSX as well. We've been busy while waiting for the engine logistics to come together.

Last edited:
It depends on the specs, but baseline cost on the Complete LF600 Package with Clutch is about $26,000. To purchase and install all of these components separately, woukd cost well north of $30,000 once the individual labors are broken down. By combining them, you save a lot. Also, keep in mind, if your NSX needs a timing belt and water pump service, that is included as part of the LF600 engine package.

We will start the update with the good news. Dan's motor and turbo system are rocking!!!

11psi LF600 at just 7000rpm vs [email protected] on the stock motor.

1779764_613809172005457_364053467_n.jpg

The bad news, we made a full pull directly after this to 8000 rpm(made 489whp!), and I heard a tapping noise immediately after idle-down. I shut the car off, pushed it to the lift, and dug in thinking the worse. Pulled the pan, no shavings. Pulled the bearings, all bearings are fine. As a side note, it was great to see the wear, or lack there-of with an hour on the motor. Anyway, while turning the motor by hand, I started to hear a "thunk, thunk", which sounded like the timing belt skipping over the cams.

Sure enough, pulled the valve covers to find a loose timing belt. The tension was set in the build room, with ample pressure. The tensioner lock-bolt was still very very tight.

So, at this point we will drop the motor to reset the timing, and confirm leakdown tests, to see if any valves were bent.

Hey, this is a real-time thread, and these are real problems that arise during many builds. Most shops don't have the guts to post about it.

I'll update shortly! I will say, the glass is definitely half-full on this one so far...

Belt had lost tension for unexplained reasons. The tensioner bolt was still extremely tight, and the belt was tight, checked, and re-checked before the covers were installed in the build room, as it's standard procedure during the valve adjustment. This leaves belt stretch as the the only culprit due to the higher pressure valve springs. I'm baffled, as I've never had this issue before.

Moving on. Two cylinders were at 10% leakdown, while the rest were at 6-7%. It's "passable", but not worth the risk of dropping a valve. So, new valves enroute, heads are coming off as we speak, and we try again. We are installing a Kevlar belt over the factory belt to eliminate that risk. We should have the engine back together for the weekend, and we can finish tuning next week. A setback, but a MUCH better outcome than it could have been. Update coming when the heads are re-installed.

I think I'll do this with all of them, as people just don't understand what goes into these builds.

Here's what likely would have saved Dans hassles. Every build is getting one from now on. Watch out, at $2.99, they cost a small fortune!uploadfromtaptalk1392738705791.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I hopped over to NA1MT's LF1200S build while I waited for Dan's correct gaskets. Gosh this thing makes me drool. I cannot wait to see what this thing makes despite the years of setbacks it's given us. Soon!!!

1909166_618261311560243_307667973_o.jpg

And that's arfnsx's LF800 block on the table in the background. His build thread will start soon :)

Last edited:
You'd think these builds were 5k the way you are getting them and pushing them out!!!
What does the numerical number represent? LF600, LF800, LF1200? Is that hp to be handled? What do you do for motor mounts on these cars with the increased performance?

Yes, the Horsepower designations. They are very expensive. We are finally cranking through these do to FAST, quality machining, instead of 90-day waits. The machine shop, is 7minutes down the road. Obviously, we are excited for this year with that development. We generally only have a week of work to do once machining and balancing are completed.

The mounts have held up, but we fill them on most builds. Windshield urethane is a cost-effective solution.

Back