• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Mythical $25k NSX.

Would you sell your NSX for less than $25k?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 221 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 8.0%

• Total voters
Not all NSX owners are on Prime, and most of those owners follows the KBB when they sell the car. Some Prime members may not be please with what I have said in the past, but I'll say it again, I don't believe a 1991 NSX is worth $30k unless it has super low mileage, or heavily mod with good parts. There absolutely no point of paying over KBB book for a complete stock 1991 NSX with 120k miles on it, the reason is because there are more to choose from when you get to that price range. Little more, you can get a 1995, and little more, you can get a NA2.

Not all NSX owners are on Prime, and most of those owners follows the KBB when they sell the car. Some Prime members may not be please with what I have said in the past, but I'll say it again, I don't believe a 1991 NSX is worth $30k unless it has super low mileage, or heavily mod with good parts. There absolutely no point of paying over KBB book for a complete stock 1991 NSX with 120k miles on it, the reason is because there are more to choose from when you get to that price range. Little more, you can get a 1995, and little more, you can get a NA2.

But not everyone wants a 95 or an NA2. I wanted a coupe. And I think the flip up lights are sexy as hell. The NA1 coupes are the lightest most rigid cars to start with. You can always add power to an NA1 coupe. But Targas & NA2's will always be heavier and less rigid. I'd pay more money for an NA1 coupe.

i agree with you completely :)

but would one consider a high milage nsx (over 200k) considering it was taken care of? maintanance was done, etc.? rebuilt motor, tranny, aftermarket suspension. redone interior and was garaged with very nice paint still? with all records in hand?

what would a car in such a condition run for?

i got mine for less than 26k with 65k miles on it. body is clean, just few minor problems. had to replace head unit cuz it had the flip up screen (dvd) and the installation was horrible. driver side bolster has about 5 inches of crack, i still have not gotten it fixed but will do it soon. car also has two dings, nothing more, in the whole body. one is on passnger side and other is on rear bumper, which are hardly noticeable. it was bone stock when i got it and it had those HRE wheels which i didnt really like. got rid of them, and got some HP split five wheels in black with new tires. i drive the car once or twice a month. paint is very clean and very well taken care of. all in all, i think i got a good deal due to the aftermarker head unit installation.

but i wouldn't sell the car for 25k....... :biggrin:

i agree with you completely :)

but would one consider a high milage nsx (over 200k) considering it was taken care of? maintanance was done, etc.? rebuilt motor, tranny, aftermarket suspension. redone interior and was garaged with very nice paint still? with all records in hand?

what would a car in such a condition run for?

There is a market for such a car, but the price will suffer as 200k is a milestone number. There is a '94 nsx with 160k miles being advertised perhaps 3-4k under market for one with 75-100k miles, I have not seen the car, but its an undesirable color (brooklands), and the owner claims its well-serviced.

so low end, ~$22k, based on this increased mileage. Perhaps, as the cars get older, the delta between high and low mileage cars will increase, as the number of higher mileage cars goes up. Another possible result, as 'all' used nsx's start to rack up high mileage levels, is they might retain their value better, regardless of miles.

Here is an example of a $16500 nsx:

auction1.JPG

It requires some work (approx $1k), but has records, 74k miles... it has a branded title, but its straight.

Speaking of maintained correct examples, from what I've seen, out cars have gone as low as they'll ever go.
I would think our cars will start to go up in value in the next 10 years.

Now if you're talking cars like above that are messed up requiring lots of time and money to fix, or if you're talking salvaged cars, there is no limit to how cheap they will go. If you find a 1991 that needs $40,000 in repairs, you might even be able to get it for free.

The problem is strictly within the KBB value vs. how much people are willing to pay. If some one is selling their NSX for more than book value and people are still willing to pay for it, yes, it will go for more than $25k. That's how the market works. Earlier NSXs at the moment, is in a seller's market, the later NSX has a buyer's market.

Eventually, the market will have an adjustment simply because you can't have a 2005 selling at the same price as a 1991, and I believe the 2005 eventually will drop down to $30 to $40k range.

I have seen many early NA1 going for less than $25k, in fact, there was one last year sold for $17k, needed some work, but not $8k worth of work.
When 05's drop to that I'll be standing in line for one.:wink:

I have mine for sale here in Canada, and I've discovered two things.

People like to compare apples to oranges. I have a 92 with 50k miles on it, overserviced (if that's possible) and I'm asking around $37k US for it (not unreasonable here in Canada). I'll get guys lowballing me saying they can get one in San Fransisco for $25k, with over 100k miles on it.

Then, they want to ignore the cost of owning a rough example, ie. needs timing belt service, new brakes, tires, or general repairs that come with a higher mileage car. As if to say, why would my that car need work? It's a Honda, and my Honda Civic is cheap to fix....

Truer words have never been spoken. If a $25k car needs a timing belt and/or a clutch, you are over $30k. I paid $30k for my 40k mile car. It was 13 years old and it had NEVER been rained on. Had been in a showroom for 10 years. That was worth $5k to me.

:cool:

Wise person,

When I was on the market for an NSX, I knew the car was special and was hesitant to buy one for 20-24k, as parts and labor can be spendy. I drove several 3.2 and 3.0 cars, and IMO the 3.0 cars felt more sporty/solid since it did not have powersteering and You can hear the engine more less noise filters. If I could have found a non power steering 3.2 I probably would have bought it. 95 cars for me was underpowered/over have the least value which is why Honda uped the horsepower and displacement and added an extra gear, yes it had a targa but was less rigid and slower on paper than a 91.

For the enthusiast who wants an exotic feel with no assisted intervention will will probably lean towards NA1 with records and pay more if they know what they are getting into. For the buyers who think its just a Honda they are in for a surprize when timing belt, clutch, a/c, needs restoration. I paid 32k but I got a garage queen with flawless records that drives straight and not loose like a tracked car and if I ever have to sell it again the condition and records will sell the car. The market is based on what the seller is willing to let the car go for and what the buyer is willing to pay supply and demand. As supply of clean NA1's deminish so will the price stay even if not appreciate.

These deals can be found. I bought my NSX with 132,000 miles, clean title, very good conditions for $20,000 flat. The car had an excellent history, some really tasty mods, and the only issue was the A/C needed repair (total bill $1,800 for complete A/C replacement). I'm now up to 150,000 miles with no problems.

Remember, the value of a car isn't written in a book or stone tablet. The true value of a car is a function supply/demand, market timing, urgency etc. You show me a guy in the middle of a divorce who's getting his assets siezed, and I'll show you a guy who's willing to dump his NSX for $20,000 cash. :biggrin:

These deals can be found. I bought my NSX with 132,000 miles, clean title, very good conditions for $20,000 flat. The car had an excellent history, some really tasty mods, and the only issue was the A/C needed repair (total bill $1,800 for complete A/C replacement). I'm now up to 150,000 miles with no problems.
Remember, the value of a car isn't written in a book or stone tablet. The true value of a car is a function supply/demand, market timing, urgency etc. You show me a guy in the middle of a divorce who's getting his assets siezed, and I'll show you a guy who's willing to dump his NSX for $20,000 cash. :biggrin:

You paid 20k for a high mileage NSX that needed almost 2k worth worth thats 22k sounds like fairmarket value to me. Those deals are fair and few if maybe 1 or 2 a year.

20-22 120+ high milers that need work
23-26 for cars 100k miles that need work
27-32 garage queens with tasteful mods or stock with history

These prices have not changed in the last 8 years. I can't say the same for NA2 or 95 or the 3.2 cars that have been this steady in the last 8 years.

You show me a guy in the middle of a divorce who's getting his assets siezed, and I'll show you a guy who's willing to dump his NSX for $20,000 cash. :biggrin:

this had everyone in the service dept. looking at me crazy I was laughing so hard...

I believe early cars can't go much lower simply due to the fact the joy of ownership is worth more than 20k to most... me personally I wouldn't sellf mine ever, I would sell my house first lol, some may say thats a dumb statement but if I was in a pinch I doubt 20-30k would help me enough :p

Would I EVER sell my NSX for $25K? Sure, it's possible. Depends on what else I'm trying to do at that time in my life and what I think of the new owner. If the new owner was a true NSX enthusiast and nut like me, then I could see myself selling it for $25K. Not likely, but possible.

I know when my time comes, I will be buying it here from one of you nuts that I know pampered the car like it was the Popemobile! :)

And by the time I start looking, I'll probably be getting a 02+ so the $25K will out of the question..

I know when my time comes, I will be buying it here from one of you nuts that I know pampered the car like it was the Popemobile! :)

And by the time I start looking, I'll probably be getting a 02+ so the $25K will out of the question..

lol just read your post and got me thinking.

the 25K 02+ would be mythical :biggrin:

just to chime in;
i am actually "reviving" one of those $25k deals. to do it right it will cost you a lot of patience and money. i have over 7k invested already and the car didn't really look that bad to begin with. basically one of previous owners (asshole) hit a motorcyclist and repaired the light front end damage with a shitty one piece nose. since i had the car torn apart i elected to update the electronics and esthetics at the same time raising the cost some.
the deals are out there sometimes, just be aware of what you are getting- buying a lightly damaged car is ok as long as there is no structural damage. oem parts are very pricey- the brackets for the nose will run you about $500 by themselves.

Bought mine for 23K with 145K and it has custom paint (factory red with flakes that turns orange when sun hits it), Comptech Headers, Comptech exhaust, touchscreen Double DIN kenwood, version 2 subwoofer, amplifier, Clifford LCD alarm, 16/17 OEM, Bilstein shocks. Exterior looks about 7, interior is 7, mechanical is 10. I test drove a 35K miles 1991 NSX and it was no comparison to mine. Though mine looked like crap compared to it visually. hahaha.

I didn't care much with the looks as I know I'll be painting it with body kits and rims. I didn't care about interior as I know I'll be buying seats and carpet, and installing aftermarket steering wheel and shift-knob.

niM

i sold my 91 nsx on prime for under 20K. it was not in pristine condition... but was nowhere near bottom of the barrel either. 3-4K was going to put it in perfect condition.

As Vancehu said, its not mythical. Non-salvage title NSXes sell at $25k and below frequently. Now, quality, mileage, and repair issues will vary.

There are several of us who have had our cars for a long time and driven the living heck out of them. People like NSXTASY have been caring for and tracking their cars for a decade or more. These cars aren't worth more than $25k. Mine is worse even less - 1992, 145k miles, paint not so good, small tears in driver's seat bolster, wheels nicked, engine compartment dirty, etc. But, all maintenance is done, and has some upgrades. Still, well used cars tend to show that they are well used, and then they go for less in the marketplace.

Also, remember this. The market for used NSXes about 10 years ago was a buyer's market. I got a 1992 with about 40k miles (I forget exactly) for $36k. I have put 100k more miles on the car and many track events and all weather usage. What is any car worth that was bought for $36k- 10 years and 100k miles later?

On the other hand, those purchasing NA1 NSXes for below $30k have an asset that will stand up to hard use yet only decline in price a little. Compare to any car less than 5 years old and used NSXes are a great value.

As Vancehu said, its not mythical. Non-salvage title NSXes sell at $25k and below frequently. Now, quality, mileage, and repair issues will vary.
There are several of us who have had our cars for a long time and driven the living heck out of them. People like NSXTASY have been caring for and tracking their cars for a decade or more. These cars aren't worth more than $25k.Still, well used cars tend to show that they are well used, and then they go for less in the marketplace.

The Myth is finding a non tracked car with low miles and original paint with records for 25k.

The problem is strictly within the KBB value vs. how much people are willing to pay. If some one is selling their NSX for more than book value and people are still willing to pay for it, yes, it will go for more than $25k. That's how the market works. Earlier NSXs at the moment, is in a seller's market, the later NSX has a buyer's market.

Eventually, the market will have an adjustment simply because you can't have a 2005 selling at the same price as a 1991, and I believe the 2005 eventually will drop down to $30 to $40k range.

I have seen many early NA1 going for less than $25k, in fact, there was one last year sold for $17k, needed some work, but not $8k worth of work.

Vance comon........ a 2005 will never be $30k.

You can bearly pick up a nice 93 Supra for 30k

Does no one realize a same year early 90's Ferarri 355 and NSX with same miles are worth roughly the same even though prices new were nearly double?

That being said our cars aging like Ferrari's with even less production
7200 Testarossa's
11,000 355's
8,200 348's

Even Delorians are now over $50k

The only thing keeping NSX's from ridiculous value is the fact that 5-6 year old ones still exist. If Honda would have made 8000 NSX's and stopped production in 1995 by now a NSX would be more today than its $60k new at the time. It's collectors economics. The only thing affecting old NSX values is that "Newer" one are still available......
once all of them are over 10 years old (ex 2015) it wont matter if you have a 97 or 91 and they will all be roughly the same price, probably over the $80k New price. By 2020 it wont matter if you have a 91 or 05 they be worth double what they were new.

It took the supra 10 years after stop of production (1996) to start climbing which was 2006. Now their worth more than new.

There also about 7000 Panteras built in total which although awesome collectibles are way inferior to NSX in build quality and historical significance they were NEW about $10k in 1974, used in 80's for $4-5k Now 30 years later try picking one up for under $40k. And economically $10k in 1974 equals around $30k thats still over inflation.

88-92 911 Turbos were $40k new try finding one for under $40k even considering ridiculous production numbers over 70,000 911's produced with the 3.2L from 84-89. not sure how many of them turbos, gotta be at least 10,000.

The NSX in 2020 will probably be the same price as a Testarossa as time will tell.

I could write a book about future Desirability & Value based on Rarity and Social Value plus future inflation. It can all be predicted and anyone who doesn't believe that is missing out on some real opportunities.

Rule for cars is.....
Everyone wants at 40 what they couldn't have at 20.
Who ever figures out first, what and when that applies to, makes allot of money.

If I didn't have other means of making money I'd be collecting NSX's, & BMW 850's the only flagships of the 90's that are still cheap really really cheap. Also just wait until 2020 comes around and the 1990's video game generation is paying a couple hundred dollars for nostalgic super Nintendo's consoles that can be bought right now for $20. $10k worth right now could mean $150k in 12 years. better than the stock market.

Last edited:
This is some good reading!! Keep going on with "the car will worth more than new........

This is some good reading!! Keep going on with "the car will worth more than new........

na doubt it.

nsx wasnt featured in the fast and the furious. :biggrin:

supras go for more cause the demand for them is rediculous and also they are HP monsters. DP intake exhaust + boost you get an extra 100HP.

also they get crashed every day, less and less of them on the road.
if you have a supra now, hold on to that baby, prices are going UP up UP!

na doubt it.

nsx wasnt featured in the fast and the furious. :biggrin:

It was in the parking lot at TJs.:biggrin: That car is still sitting at Universal Studios. I took pics of it.

Back