• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Mythical $25k NSX.

Would you sell your NSX for less than $25k?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 221 84.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 8.0%

• Total voters
My bad, it was from 2 Fast 2 Furious

Here is a pic

2_acura.jpg

"Not all NSX owners are on Prime, and most of those owners follows the KBB when they sell the car. Some Prime members may not be please with what I have said in the past, but I'll say it again, I don't believe a 1991 NSX is worth $30k unless it has super low mileage, or heavily mod with good parts. There absolutely no point of paying over KBB book for a complete stock 1991 NSX with 120k miles on it, the reason is because there are more to choose from when you get to that price range. Little more, you can get a 1995, and little more, you can get a NA2."

Kelly blue book? It does not apply to early NSX's.
Its about 10,000.00 off actual selling prices.
(like many low production speciality cars)
(a good E30 M3 is about $8k on KBB, actual selling prices
are $17-$20k these days)
I like to make a buck like everyone else. If I could buy clean 91 NSX's
for KBB's $17k I could sell them for 27k any day of the week.
Not all NSX's are depreciating. Selling price is based on condition.
And the difference between a stinker and a jewel is about 5-8k.
This in itself will probably drive the stinkers lower.
From what I have seen, nice 91 examples (by my standards) are still
around $30k. A deal is $27k - $28k these days.
Again, everyone has a different standard.
This might be where some of the confusion comes from?
If nice examples ever get anywhere in the teens, I will buy a few and moth ball them. But that won't happen. When we hit the 20 year mark the price guides will reflect actual selling prices. (not KBB) but other respected guides.
It will look funny in 2011 when a 1991 NSX will look like its worth more than a model many many years newer. Then in 2012 92's will pop in price and so on.
Check it out. It will happen. (1988 M3's just popped, but 1989 M3's are cheap! 1/2 the price) LOL LOL

I will give you NADA for your car. LOL LOL
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...1991&m=1187&d=167&c=13&vi=97611&z=92672&da=-1

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...al&max_price=&pager.offset=25&first_record=26

Last edited:
I agree with MCM. KBB is not a realistic price guide for the NSX.

If you are looking for a car with low miles, documented maintenence history and absolutely no paint work then you will pay more than 30K.

If you dont care about any of these things, then feel free to find one and pay 25K. Good Luck with that.

Good deal and steal can be found on everything, including every business. Nothing special, it is a common sense. How easily can you come across steals that is the question. There are far more unlucky stories than lucky one in bargin hunting for a sports car.

There are many cars I would love to get at KKB price (ex, NSX, 91~95 civic si hatchback, Supra, FDs all in good~excellent condition). Just almost not going to happen without some outregeous luck or serious potential risk. KBB works for mass production cars, usually not too well with low production sports cars.

When I bought the Supra, I bought it sight unseen at Salt Lake City. It was not only way below marketprice (what people normally pay), but also below KBB (so called determined book value). Bought a 1 way ticket to Utah and drove it home, 1 week later, the timing belt tensioner broke while I was driving on freeway, it shoot out like a bullet, took out the entire front end including radiator. Tire also bald in the rear, clutch went (even though the previous owner had receipt of recent clutch replacement with some getto organic $200 clutch kit). After I finally got it to "near" my liking. I wish I had just spent more and got the better condition one from the start. It ended up costing me more in the end. Everytime I look back and see my mistakes. Being cheap has yet saved me money once. On the other hand, pay once, cry one have saved me $$$ on countless occassions in the long run.

I offen stock up a piece of production original celluloid for $500+ a piece. Depending on my luck I sometimes can get similar shot from same exactly sequence for $50. Both of which case, I can sell the same item for $1500. Because the items are so rare, huge demand, unique and difficult to obtain. 10 times out of 10 times, I will gladly buy both.

There are a lot of early NSXes out there that I have seen, I would not pay $25k for or even $20k. Once the price dip below $20k. It get into a price range that makes it almost a smart buy. Then it is worth getting it almost just to have it in my opinion, assuming it only have minor problem and a few things need to be taken care of.

However, if I find one that meet my strict standard and is what I want. I gladly pay additional up to $15k, that is amount is what I consider reasonable (what I would pay) difference for nicer example. That is if I can even find one. Been a NSX owner for years and hit countless meets, it is getting harder and harder to for me to see well kept examples. I am not trying to be mean, it is unfortunately very true on what I have seen. Everytime I see one, I just can't help and give two thumbs up.

Good deal and steal can be found on everything, including every business. Nothing special, it is a common sense. How easily can you come across steals that is the question. There are far more unlucky stories than lucky one in bargin hunting for a sports car.

There are many cars I would love to get at KKB price (ex, NSX, 91~95 civic si hatchback, Supra, FDs all in good~excellent condition). Just almost not going to happen without some outregeous luck or serious potential risk. KBB works for mass production cars, usually not too well with low production sports cars.

When I bought the Supra, I bought it sight unseen at Salt Lake City. It was not only way below marketprice (what people normally pay), but also below KBB (so called determined book value). Bought a 1 way ticket to Utah and drove it home, 1 week later, the timing belt tensioner broke while I was driving on freeway, it shoot out like a bullet, took out the entire front end including radiator. Tire also bald in the rear, clutch went (even though the previous owner had receipt of recent clutch replacement with some getto organic $200 clutch kit). After I finally got it to "near" my liking. I wish I had just spent more and got the better condition one from the start. It ended up costing me more in the end. Everytime I look back and see my mistakes. Being cheap has yet saved me money once. On the other hand, pay once, cry one have saved me $$$ on countless occassions in the long run.

I offen stock up a piece of production original celluloid for $500+ a piece. Depending on my luck I sometimes can get similar shot from same exactly sequence for $50. Both of which case, I can sell the same item for $1500. Because the items are so rare, huge demand, unique and difficult to obtain. 10 times out of 10 times, I will gladly buy both.

There are a lot of early NSXes out there that I have seen, I would not pay $25k for or even $20k. Once the price dip below $20k. It get into a price range that makes it almost a smart buy. Then it is worth getting it almost just to have it in my opinion, assuming it only have minor problem and a few things need to be taken care of.

However, if I find one that meet my strict standard and is what I want. I gladly pay additional up to $15k, that is amount is what I consider reasonable (what I would pay) difference for nicer example. That is if I can even find one. Been a NSX owner for years and hit countless meets, it is getting harder and harder to for me to see well kept examples. I am not trying to be mean, it is unfortunately very true on what I have seen. Everytime I see one, I just can't help and give two thumbs up.

lol wow. ya the crank pulley on those supras are death disks. heard and seen wonderful things about them.

organic clutch disks in an supra. :tongue:

i got my tt 6 speed supra for kbb. offered the guy 1000$ more than what he was asking to secure it.

always deals to be had. but everyone is looking for a deal so the chance of finding one before everyone else, its hard.

keep those eye balls peeled! :eek:

kbb is rediculously silly when it comes to exotics or rare cars. i would consult, ebay, craigslist and cars.com to get a feel for market car value.

Last edited:
I paid less than $29K for my mint condition 1991 Berlina Black NSX (June 2007) and I would rate the car being a 9/10 in terms of overall condition. It had 63,000miles on her and some tasteful mods. In my opinion I got a great deal.

Any NSX I've seen posted between the $22K and $26k mark have been cars with:
1. Body work (paint, accident, whatever)
2. Incomplete service history (regularly serviced by Midas or some other no name service center - pass!)
3. Heavily modified/abused
4. High Mileage +90K
5. Desperate sellers - rare!

I, like everyone else wants a good deal but people looking for those good deals need to be aware that the NSX isn't inexpensive to maintain. Wait until the modifying bug hits you as well!!! ;)

At this point I wouldn't even consider selling my NSX for less than $32K. I like most early year NSX owners know that pristine examples with full history are rare to find now. You can get this in newer NA2 examples but then again some are still depreciating. Come on 2002+ models let's see more droppage....LOL

Jetpilot

Vance comon........ a 2005 will never be $30k.

You can bearly pick up a nice 93 Supra for 30k

Does no one realize a same year early 90's Ferarri 355 and NSX with same miles are worth roughly the same even though prices new were nearly double?

That being said our cars aging like Ferrari's with even less production
7200 Testarossa's
11,000 355's
8,200 348's

Even Delorians are now over $50k

The only thing keeping NSX's from ridiculous value is the fact that 5-6 year old ones still exist. If Honda would have made 8000 NSX's and stopped production in 1995 by now a NSX would be more today than its $60k new at the time. It's collectors economics. The only thing affecting old NSX values is that "Newer" one are still available......
once all of them are over 10 years old (ex 2015) it wont matter if you have a 97 or 91 and they will all be roughly the same price, probably over the $80k New price. By 2020 it wont matter if you have a 91 or 05 they be worth double what they were new.

It took the supra 10 years after stop of production (1996) to start climbing which was 2006. Now their worth more than new.

There also about 7000 Panteras built in total which although awesome collectibles are way inferior to NSX in build quality and historical significance they were NEW about $10k in 1974, used in 80's for $4-5k Now 30 years later try picking one up for under $40k. And economically $10k in 1974 equals around $30k thats still over inflation.

88-92 911 Turbos were $40k new try finding one for under $40k even considering ridiculous production numbers over 70,000 911's produced with the 3.2L from 84-89. not sure how many of them turbos, gotta be at least 10,000.

The NSX in 2020 will probably be the same price as a Testarossa as time will tell.

I could write a book about future Desirability & Value based on Rarity and Social Value plus future inflation. It can all be predicted and anyone who doesn't believe that is missing out on some real opportunities.

Rule for cars is.....
Everyone wants at 40 what they couldn't have at 20.
Who ever figures out first, what and when that applies to, makes allot of money.

If I didn't have other means of making money I'd be collecting NSX's, & BMW 850's the only flagships of the 90's that are still cheap really really cheap. Also just wait until 2020 comes around and the 1990's video game generation is paying a couple hundred dollars for nostalgic super Nintendo's consoles that can be bought right now for $20. $10k worth right now could mean $150k in 12 years. better than the stock market.

No, I don't agree with you at all when comparing the NSX to any Ferraris, Pantera, etc.

After observing Prime for couple of years, I have discovered many "new" early model NSX owners are stepping up from Civics and S2k; in my opinion, they're the one that is holding up the NA1 market.

Truth be told, you can find a Testarossa for as low as $50k (without record), and F355 has drop in price even more. For those 40's who wish to buy their dream cars back from twenty years ago, the class of vehicle is very different than an NSX. The problem is Honda kept the production too long to the point that there are almost just as many 2002 plus exchanging hands as the 1991.

Also, a completely stock NSX is a rare sight, and super low milage 1991 is a rare sight. Those are the only cars that will worth some thing. It is just heart breaking for me to see a Prime member fork out $35k for a 1991 NSX with 150k miles on it, even though it's none of my business, I just don't think it's right. However, Jason is right on the area of "paying extra" for some thing the buyer is looking for. If I didn't buy my 2003 black, I would love to own RyanITV's NSX and I would have no problem paying him extra for it.

Until KBB drop the NSX from their used car list, you will never see the NSX be in the same collectable class as some of the domestic muscle or European supers.

Last edited:
As for the poster earlier that mentioned he know someone got a good deal and wouldn't admit. I can't help but say maybe a bit of self reflection? I used to hang out with some years ago who jokingly BS a lot, I have no idea when they are serious, when they are not, doesn't suit my style. That is aka poser and dishonesty. In some culture dishonesty is very unacceptable with exception of personal privacy that no one have buisness of asking.

For some people, what they paid for their car is personal and private. Just because they don't disclose that they got a great deal on a car or what they purchased the car for doesn't mean that they are a "poser" or dishonest.

"Originally Posted by Vancehu
It is just heart breaking for me to see a Prime member fork out $35k for a 1991 NSX with 150k miles on it, even though it's none of my business, I just don't think it's right."

I dont get it? now your making things up? $35k / 150 mi.?
Many here follow car values. Not clear on what your motivation is here?
Its obdvious you are wrong, but what are you trying to prove?
Sorry, I just dont get it. Are you bitter about the current value of your 03?
Again, just do not see your point. I posted links, and have tried to give examples etc..... ????? just having a bad day?
I give up?

Fact is.... people do pay 30k for a OEM 91-94 with around 100k.
Are there better deals sure here and there but where? in TX? I live in PA?
What are the costs to look at it?
I looked for 8 months..
One main factor in NSX pricing is logistics.
After you narrow down your interests...
Year, colors, miles & maintenance records.......
Theres never more than 5-6 cars for sale within 250 miles or so.

So, I wasted my time flying around to 3 different cities to look at shitty cars.
Wasted $2-3k just looking... finally bought mine in Florida.
What I found was
Lots of cars under 28k for sale had salvage history.
Some were beat to hell. pictures do no justice.
Some had obvious major repairs not recorded on carfax. Very common.

Lets face it if you have a nice NSX and your an enthusiast your likely to never sell you NSX until your dead. If you can afford a $150k replacement you probably don't need the $30-40k.

The other thing is why the hell would I get an 02 instead of a 91?
Theres just simply not enough changes
Newer dosen't mean anything to me...
Newer is 200lbs heavier, the extra 10 hp (after headers) is not enough.
An 02 front on 91 is an additional 35lbs lighter.
Coupes are extremely hard to find post 94.
I don't like power steering in a 2800lb car even Zanardi knew better.
60k maintenance costs the same as 120k maintenance.
The NSX costs the same to own whether it has 30k on it or 100k.

in reality just ask yourself....
The type-R's are proof thats both cars have roughly the same potential
Would your rather have an 1993 type-r or an 02 type-r?
Does it matter? What if right now used the 93-R was $70k and the 02-R was $120k? would you pay the extra 50k?

As far as miles go.....
There are two diffrent buyers.....
Low mileage buyers want OEM and originality.
High mileage buyers want to mod it and don't care as much for OEM
I wanted white... guess what there are 411 and 350 are 91-94 oh... black interior keep looking...... oh timing belt records?.....than the stories....It was hit how many times?.... Painted by your uncles shop?..... Car has a lien and I have to give you 30k than wait 2 weeks for title?....Shipping the car is another $1200....... comon man looking gets tiering.... I found the one I love and paid 34k 107k needing a clutch and timing belt. Would NOT sell it for under $40k, and ONLY if there were factor-X built track rat for sale at the same time.

As far as people modding there cars like rice rockets it will never happen, you don't see riced Supra's, RX-7's hell not even $13k M3's so how is a $30k NSX gonna get riced at pep-boys?

If you don't like modding than you probably dont like 911's with widebodys and fully custom stuff, does that make it rice?

Last edited:
Vance,

That is super rare, if not almost impossible, most people know better and have a brain. $35k for 91 NSX with 150k is an very... extreme example. Almost too obvious. Just to clear misunderstanding, we both agree good deals can be found. Some nsx that require too much work and too high of mileage don't worth 20~$25k. My point is KBB is just a very bad example, doesn't work for a lot of cars. NADA seem to be more reasonable example.

I know you are knowledgeable and know way better than that. So from my perspective your true intent could very likely be just a subtle way of putting the owners down while using that example to make argument seem legit. You know as well as I know. Don't I know you well. It is just your style plain and simple.

As a friend I will give you an advice. Sometimes minding too much or stress over others business is not worth it. There are so many things that you are so good at, but over use of assumptions is your weakness.

-----end
As for the poster earlier that mentioned he know someone got a good deal and wouldn't admit. I can't help but say maybe a bit of self reflection? I used to hang out with some years ago who jokingly BS a lot, I have no idea when they are serious, when they are not, doesn't suit my style. That is aka poser and dishonesty. In some culture dishonesty is very unacceptable with exception of personal privacy that no one have buisness of asking.

Jason, you need to stop this so called "me putting people down." In most cases, perhaps all the cases, I always based my information on real life experience/example. People does over pay, and people under pay also; the ratio of over paying is more than underpaying; for example, well, I don't want to name any person, but a local member recently purchased a white NSX and fit my scenario perfectly, I'm sure you you know who I'm talking about. Even though that car had wheels and other goodies, the mileage along does not make the deal for me. There are some other example of early NA1 with "around" 100k miles sold for $30k plus, and that does not make sense either.

Again, for me, an NA1 can be sold around $30k if it has very low mileage, such as your car, or Erick's car when he bought it, which I believe both of them had some where around 20/30k miles. I understand why people don't like to use KBB on earlier cars due to the low stated value, but there is no standard market value either, the price fluctuation is high for 1991 to 1994 NSX.

I dont get it? now your making things up? $35k / 150 mi.?
Many here follow car values. Not clear on what your motivation is here?
Its obdvious you are wrong, but what are you trying to prove?
Sorry, I just dont get it. Are you bitter about the current value of your 03?
Again, just do not see your point. I posted links, and have tried to give examples etc..... ????? just having a bad day?
I give up?
There is no motivation, we are discussing the value of the car.

As I have indicated above, some did paid that kind of money for a NA1, so please don't question me since you have no clue what I'm talking about. Come to some NSX meets in this area and you will meet them.

And where did you derive my so called "bitterness" for the value of 2003? Dude, I have been in car business for years in the past and I'm not surprise to see the dropping value in new NSXs, that's just the way things goes!!! Unless you know something about the car business I don't, enlighten me please. NSX at the moment, does not have any collector's value, I can't predict the future, but I doubt it will have a large/strong cult following of the early classics muscles or vintage Italians/German/British. There will always be NSX fans like us on Prime, but unlike the classics/vintage cars, the new generation of car enthusiasts will most likely pass-on the NSX simply because it was never popular to begin with!!! For the car to be popular in the collectable sense, it has to be a car "every body" wants.

Recently, I see lots of civic/s2k owners join the NSX party, I see some of them question the cost of owning an NSX, not all of them are positive. Part of the issues is they paid good money for the car and expect the car to have a lower cost of service like all other Honda.

As for value, I'll give you an example. a 2003 with proper mileage was going for $70k plus back in 2005-2006, now I see examples go for less than $60, that's over $10k drop in slight more than a year, and yet NA1 are still hovering around high $20 to low $30k, does that make sense to you?

As I have indicated in a thread in the past, RyanITV's NSX with probably $40k's of type R parts was sold 2007 for $75k, and the car only had 2k miles. The whole point is that the only reason NA1 is holding up its value is because it is an "Entry" lever NSX for people who want to play the game; as long as there are buyers for it, the price will remain strong. However, as the price goes down for later models, I don't see NA1 continue the current "market" rate. A car is only worth what people are willing to pay, some are willing to pay more, so not.

Last edited:
The whole point is that the only reason NA1 is holding up its value is because it is an "Entry" lever NSX for people who want to play the game; as long as there are buyers for it, the price will remain strong. However, as the price goes down for later models, I don't see NA1 continue the current "market" rate. A car is only worth what people are willing to pay, some are willing to pay more, so not.

Dude, this is where your mentality is wrong.....
I have 5 personal friends that own 91-95 NSX's and NOT single one does entry level apply nor are they considering selling.
#1- His second car is continental GT
#2- Just bought a Audi R8 CASH
#3- Has over $4M in real estate
#4- Owns 2 Gas stations and a wicked M3 daily driver
#5- Has over 60k in modification
Me -Just too cheap to tie up $100K CASH for a GT2. $50K NSX is enough.

So NO maybe some people again just don't find 02 worthwhile of 60k when a 30K option is available.

Your statement that "more people over pay than underpay" is a perfect example of rising market values.
And any cheap NSX's that may be around right now may be due to people needing money because of the crappy economy. And ARM Mortgages affecting people's pockets.

Entry level my a**.......
Holier than thou $60k OEM car comon buddy... I got monthly bills that high. Sh*t I've gone 6 months losing that much per month.
So people who buy $25k NSX than spend $40k wide body turbo them are because its "entry" level for people that want to play the game? If a 91 was 50k that still would not stop half of them.

And as far as your quote:
"I can't predict the future, but I doubt it will have a large/strong cult following of the early classics muscles or vintage Italians/German/British.

Japanese cars ARE the cult right now. you must be kidding? the NSX is the most desirable Japanese car out there. Are you questioning if your car gets more compliments than a Supra? I got kids screaming out there window at my car in the streets and kids with pictures of my car on there phones. What do you think these kids growing up on Playstation will want when some turn 30-40 years old and can actually afford 80k cars?

I am the video game generation and also probably the youngest on here. I don't know any one my age that can afford the NSX yet. Give it another 4-5 years. Many will follow.

You cant tell me what my generation wants.
I'm 26 and I'll school you on just as many things as you can school me on. I may have been around the block as many times as 40 year olds on here and employ 33 "mature" people right now. Self made and no "family business" nor rich parents.

How would you like it if I told you
"It makes me just as sad to see people pay $70k for a 02, you could have bought a 97 with a factor-X build for less than that"
I just try to avoid making statements when I don't understand the other persons mentality for making the decisions they make.

Last edited:
I have 5 personal friends that own 91-95 NSX's and NOT single one does entry level apply nor are they considering selling.

So NO maybe some people again just don't find 02 worthwhile of 60k when a 30K option is available.

Your statement that "more people over pay than underpay" is a perfect example of rising market values.
And any cheap NSX's that may be around right now may be due to people needing money because of the crappy economy. And ARM Mortgages affecting people's pockets.

I agree with you, but not every one is on the same mind set. But your scenario does not apply to every one either. The point I'm trying to make is this, no car will hold it's value unless it is highly desirable/collectable, and our beloved NSX is not in that category. Some may want a coupe, some wants T, it's a personal preference based on finance and/or desire for coupe/T. You can't get a entry level S2k/civic guy to buy a 2002 because he/she simply can't afford it, and you can't get a track oriented person to buy the T because they want a coupe; however, the market value has been up and down, but within certain parameter. ie. when i used to be in the car business back in 1994 -1998, you can find a super clean NA1 NSX with proper mileage at the auction for $25k-ish, which in term retail for about $30k, as the MSRP goes up on the NSX, the earlier cars has a stable value. In fact, until coupe of years ago, I see people paying $30-35k for a 1991-1994. As of today, you see those cars drop in value, is most likely due to the fact that the NSX has been discontinued and the last year (2005) off the assembly line is where the value that will effect the early cars. Currently, you can find 1997 cars with fair mileage for $37k, unless you must have a coupe, it does not make sense that a 1991/1994 will continue to sell for $30k plus. Does that make sense to you? Trust me, I know how studdburn people are with their coupes, I know plenty who doesn't want the T, but than again, I also know plenty who doesn't want the coupe.

The Myth is finding a non tracked car with low miles and original paint with records for 25k.

Agree. Low miles or well kept causes the price to go up. But "un wrecked" and "maintained" cars, with higher miles, will go for around $25.

I should say that NSXTASY, as far as I know, has not had his car appraised and may have significant upgrades or repairs that make his car worth more than $25k. I have no idea. I just know he has tracked it for more than a decade.

Currently, you can find 1997 cars with fair mileage for $37k, unless you must have a coupe, it does not make sense that a 1991/1994 will continue to sell for $30k plus. Does that make sense to you? Trust me, I know how studdburn people are with their coupes, I know plenty who doesn't want the T, but than again, I also know plenty who doesn't want the coupe.

Vance sorry about that I adding to my previous post as you were responding to it whoops.....

The main factors affecting NSX's value right now....

-New car mentality meaning people who buy brand new cars, than trade in for the next hottest thing in a couple years. As long as they get what they owe they will keep trading 02-05's for 20-30k less than what they paid.
Once that stops than we will see rising prices.

-Availability is still high for limited production car 100 on Autotrader.
For a car to reach "collectible" status it must exchange hands slowly finding its way to people who don't care about trading in for the newest hottest thing (gtr-Zo6 ect.) I don't care whats faster whats not. I love my NSX. It takes a while for 8000 nsx's to find their enthusiast. It does not happen over night.

-Example of the Testarossa 7200 made just like NSX but only only 22 tetarossa's for sale Autotrader. Doesent matter If its faster or slower their ownrs got their dream car. that is what the NSX is for allot of kids their dream car.
-Deloreans - Ugly as sin but they too found eventually found their owners.

You see Vance, I'm confident will be having this same conversation on NSXPRIME in 2015 because Me and you, don't own the NSX for any other reason than we love the damm thing. People have come and gone but I think the true love for the NSX will start to show couple years from now when NEW cars are 600hp and NSXprime is still seeing new threads about about NSX vs ????.
When 90% of the owners response becomes, Go on smoke my NSX... I don't care.
That is what makes a collectible
People dont buy their dream car 10 years later because its hot. Its because it what they dreamed about when they were little. And believe me there were are allot of kids dreaming about the NSX. especially because of its long production the NSX saw almost 3 full generations of teenagers all in love with only one body style. you do the math.

Last edited:
The NSX is a desirable car. The resale values on the earlier models will always be buoyed by the prices of the later models. I doubt you'll find the price of earlier models to be higher than a comparable later-year model. And across the entire production run, the prices will remain steady because there will always be people who want the NSX.

These discussions come up time and time again on Supraforums. Everyone wants to know if the prices of Supras will come down if a new Supra is released. Nobody knows and nobody can predict with absolute certainty. However, the general consensus is that the resale value of the Supra has remained high (and increased) because there is no other car like it. For the fans of the mid-90s Japanese car styling, high horsepower with loads of potential, reliability, and rarity, there are very few cars that stand out. If Toyota were to release a new Supra tomorrow that has the same potential, more modern styling which follows the lines of the previous model, for a reasonable price, my guess is that the price of the Supra will slowly start to come down. I suppose the same thing applies to the NSX. It will always have diehard fans who will desire one which will help keep the resale values up, but more and more people will choose something more practical, modern, etc over the NSX. As this continues to happen, and the number of NSXs for sale increase, the prices will start to come down.

The NSX is a desirable car. The resale values on the earlier models will always be buoyed by the prices of the later models. I doubt you'll find the price of earlier models to be higher than a comparable later-year model. And across the entire production run, the prices will remain steady because there will always be people who want the NSX.

These discussions come up time and time again on Supraforums. Everyone wants to know if the prices of Supras will come down if a new Supra is released. Nobody knows and nobody can predict with absolute certainty. However, the general consensus is that the resale value of the Supra has remained high (and increased) because there is no other car like it. For the fans of the mid-90s Japanese car styling, high horsepower with loads of potential, reliability, and rarity, there are very few cars that stand out. If Toyota were to release a new Supra tomorrow that has the same potential, more modern styling which follows the lines of the previous model, for a reasonable price, my guess is that the price of the Supra will slowly start to come down. I suppose the same thing applies to the NSX. It will always have diehard fans who will desire one which will help keep the resale values up, but more and more people will choose something more practical, modern, etc over the NSX. As this continues to happen, and the number of NSXs for sale increase, the prices will start to come down.

Supra is will not achieve real collectible status until it gets 30 years old because of production numbers. 88 M3's are worth more the 98 M3's. Why? less production.

The NSX will be worth a ton more than Supra's. Faster with mods dose not affect its collectability. NSX buyers are aware there are faster options.

History is what plays here not potential HP.

What guarantees its future value is....
- 4 main factors need to present during production to predict a TRUE collectible.
Controversial history
Limited Production
Exposure (Press History - Documentation)
Valuable Title. (Only Japanese Exotic for 14 years).

What guarantees is hold on future value......
- Other factors not present in any other Japanese car
Difficulty to obtain. (price)
Lifespan (Aluminum body and chassis)
Durability (Most durable Supercar of built from 1991-2006)

Low Miles make collectible cars even more valuable but in reality when you pay $80k for an restored GT500 miles are not a question unless you want to pay $600k

As some of you intoned we really don't have a good record of actual sale prices since most, not all, members don't disclose that info.We only see asking price,and we on prime only see the minority of all used nsx sales in the US.What would be nice is if prime could set up an anonomous thread or section where people could post up real prices payed,listing only year and possibly condition, title status ect. I can see though that many are very secretive about how much they really pay for stuff,as we should be.

As some of you intoned we really don't have a good record of actual sale prices since most, not all, members don't disclose that info.We only see asking price,and we on prime only see the minority of all used nsx sales in the US.What would be nice is if prime could set up an anonomous thread or section where people could post up real prices payed,listing only year and possibly condition, title status ect. I can see though that many are very secretive about how much they really pay for stuff,as we should be.

Ditto, I alluded to it earlier that people often paid a lot less than they will confess. I'm not sure an anonymous poll would be honest enough. :)

Having met some of these owners early on, I often got to hear their "great deal" story but those stories changed later on and the prices paid went up. :rolleyes: I had the opportunity to do some work on fantastic condition cars that were let go very cheap. I know of several under sub 20k coupes that were in great shape and low mileage. There's a guy on here that bought one for under 10k. :) They didn't always get advertised on Autotrader, craigslist, or cars.com. The 25k NSX is not mythical, I think the opportunistic buyers just picking up any good deal that comes along are the ones that find these deals more often than not. If you gotta have one now and you're looking on Prime, craigslist, autotrader, etc. chances are you won't score such a deal. I just happened to browse around some classifieds one day and scored a set mint NSX luggage for $150. I wasn't looking for it, but it was a good deal so I bought it.

One of my friends plays golf with members at Sherwood Country Club several times a week and he has picked up all kinds of great cars for cheap, just because the owner didn't need the car and didn't need to sell it for a lot.

I would hate to be selling a NSX now. Just thinking about all the new "Nick" members & lo-ball offers sellers will no doubt be getting from threads like this.
I agree, you can get a steal now and then. But clean NSX's are still holding the thirty mark. I guess we agree to disagree. No problem.
If you add auctions and E-bay, I would agree. But clean cars, thats another story.

This one comes to mind @ 22,700.00.........
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100038

Supra is will not achieve real collectible status until it gets 30 years old because of production numbers. 88 M3's are worth more the 98 M3's. Why? less production.

The NSX will be worth a ton more than Supra's. Faster with mods dose not affect its collectability. NSX buyers are aware there are faster options.

History is what plays here not potential HP.

What guarantees its future value is....
- 4 main factors need to present during production to predict a TRUE collectible.
Controversial history
Limited Production
Exposure (Press History - Documentation)
Valuable Title. (Only Japanese Exotic for 14 years).

What guarantees is hold on future value......
- Other factors not present in any other Japanese car
Difficulty to obtain. (price)
Lifespan (Aluminum body and chassis)
Durability (Most durable Supercar of built from 1991-2006)

Low Miles make collectible cars even more valuable but in reality when you pay $80k for an restored GT500 miles are not a question unless you want to pay $600k

Are we talking about collectible status or resale value? I never implied that the Supra will be a collectible in the future. Sorry to see you type all that for nothing.

Well almost 90% of you are so far are voting no. That must have some merit in itself. The other 10% are voting "yes" or "maybe". What I would really like to know is what condition, title situation, mileage number, maintenance history, etc. that the 10% would sell or perhaps sell their vehicles are in. If I had a salvaged vehicle with 200,000 miles that was in a flood, and still needed a timing belt and water pump, bald tires, terrible paint, and tons of door dings, I would love to unload it for $25K.:rolleyes:

Well almost 90% of you are so far are voting no. That must have some merit in itself. The other 10% are voting "yes" or "maybe". What I would really like to know is what condition, title situation, mileage number, maintenance history, etc. that the 10% would sell or perhaps sell their vehicles are in. If I had a salvaged vehicle with 200,000 miles that was in a flood, and still needed a timing belt and water pump, bald tires, terrible paint, and tons of door dings, I would love to unload it for $25K.:rolleyes:

I remember when I was looking. There are quite a few poor examples out there.
-I saw one that had a odometer warning on carfax
-One that had electrical problems
-One had "water damage"
-One whos check engine light came on as we were going for a test drive
-One who had the original shocks, original TB and WP and it was a 1991!!!

Still, I would think you could part out an old one for more than $25k.

Holier than thou $60k OEM car comon buddy... I got monthly bills that high. Sh*t I've gone 6 months losing that much per month.
So people who buy $25k NSX than spend $40k wide body turbo them are because its "entry" level for people that want to play the game? If a 91 was 50k that still would not stop half of them.

And as far as your quote:
"I can't predict the future, but I doubt it will have a large/strong cult following of the early classics muscles or vintage Italians/German/British.

Japanese cars ARE the cult right now. you must be kidding? the NSX is the most desirable Japanese car out there. Are you questioning if your car gets more compliments than a Supra? I got kids screaming out there window at my car in the streets and kids with pictures of my car on there phones. What do you think these kids growing up on Playstation will want when some turn 30-40 years old and can actually afford 80k cars?

I am the video game generation and also probably the youngest on here. I don't know any one my age that can afford the NSX yet. Give it another 4-5 years. Many will follow.

You cant tell me what my generation wants.
I'm 26 and I'll school you on just as many things as you can school me on. I may have been around the block as many times as 40 year olds on here and employ 33 "mature" people right now. Self made and no "family business" nor rich parents.

How would you like it if I told you
"It makes me just as sad to see people pay $70k for a 02, you could have bought a 97 with a factor-X build for less than that"
I just try to avoid making statements when I don't understand the other persons mentality for making the decisions they make.

I have to agree with this post. I can't see many people getting into the NA1's because of it being an entry level NSX. Heck I do very well for myself and yet I didn't go directly to the NA2 +02 version simply because I have other priorities in my life (house, retirement investments, etc). I can afford to step up into the NA2 models but chose a low mileage 1991 to start (I'm actually saving on the side to purchase a Imola Orange NSX in the next 3-4 years so that I'll have a garage queen and daily driver).

For those Honda fans who previously drove civic's and integra's like myself well they would be "uninformed" to think the maintenance of the NSX is just like those models...just remember the original sticker price and technology of the NSX compared to these other Honda's...

Like Patricio I'm only 31 and the NSX came out when I was 14 years old. I don't know many 30+ year olds who make the kind of money I do and you'd need to make in order to afford to outrightly pay for an NSX - let alone mortgage payments, investments, etc. The NSX is hardly a entry level car and this is why you are seeing more and more of these cars for sale because of "financial reasons" or the state of the U.S. market. This is also re-inforced by the number of posts on NSX Prime where people are looking to finance these cars...startling.

But...when people from our generation become 40+ years old and become more settled in their life you'll start to see a resurgence of NSX values. Suddenly, your making more, kids aren't as costly unless they are starting college, etc. and it might just be time for this generation to purchase NSX's...actually its already starting.

Vancehu - I wouldn't worry about falling +02 values because from what I've been recording in the last year your hardly seeing a loss in value. Maybe your example of 2005-2006 being a 10k drop is accurate as when a car leaves the lot is it generally losing between 25-40% of its value (NSX can be an exception). But once these past two years are behind us you'll hardly see even a 2002 NSX selling below $55K even with average mileage. I know someone who bought a 2002 NSX and paid $52 and to me and him that was a killer deal.

In my opinion the only years that will see an issue in terms of value are the 1995 and 1996 NSX-T's...heavier and with the NA1 motor.

I have to agree also that "Coupes" will hold their value from the NA1 and NA2 (rare) versions because they are more performance orientated (stiffer).

Jetpilot

Oh and to add a comment regarding the Italian/German/exotic values in comparison to the Japanses imports...

My dad is 56 years old this March and he's presently hunting for a stock Toyota Supra TT...even his generation doesn't want the Italian/German exotics...LOL

Back