• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Negatives of the NSX 2.0

You might as well sit back and get comfortable. Prime is going to be one big bitch fest for the foreseeable future about this car.

Pretty much. The Facebook page is even worse. It saddens me to see this when this community is usually so fun and somewhat classy :p

Last edited:
Pretty much. The Facebook page is even worse. It saddens me to see this when this community usually so fun and somewhat classy :p

Omg I have just stayed off prime Facebook. All it is is a bunch of grown men crying about that damn car all day yesterday. It just kept cluttering up my timeline.

This is very biased.
First, if NSX 2.0 is '80% price of a 458', and assuming NSX 2.0 costs $155k, then a brand new 458 is 194k. You dream or learn some math.
Second, 'I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all'. Why? Look at bmw i8, it achieves 0-60 in 3.8 sec (by motor trend). And i8 only has 380hp. That's the magic of electric motor and instant torque. With nearly 200hp more than i8, it's not surprising that NSX 2.0 can do 0-60 in 3 sec or even sub 3 sec. How can't NSX 2.0 be a competitor of 458?

Also the new NSX has something the F458 has... SH-AWD + hybrid. Of course that is going to bump it up from the 50% value....

The original NSX had understated, elegant lines which have aged well over two and a half decades. IMO the new car has a noncohesive, busy, fanboyish, appearance that could be out of style by the time it is in buyers hands. It is an improvement over the previous concepts but most of that is because of the wheels. Some of the details still look incomplete. I don't really dislike it but doubt it will ultimately have the impact of the original. In many ways the styling of the new FGT has trumped it already--albeit, it is a concept not a pre-production model.

Here is an example of a modern, clean design effort. (Yes, it has been posted before.)

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/08/28/aston-martin-dbc-mid-engine-concept/

That Aston concept is very nice!

I think one of the biggest negatives of the new NSX is that it has turned the NSX community into a bunch of nitpickers and whiners... :(

This thing is out, like it or not. I'm just happy Honda is back making sportscars.

Can we get back to the love of our cars now?

I agree. It's quite annoying with all this negativity coming up.

I stated it before and I'll state it again. If you wanted NSX 1.0 with more power just buy a turbo (I plan to) and be happy with your powerful NSX 1.0. Also about 90%+ of prime members bought their NSX 1.0 used (including myself) my guess 90%+ would still buy NSX 2.0 used because we can't comfortably afford a 100K+ new car. Why should Acura/Honda care what we (prime members) think when most of us would be buying used....

It would be interesting to see what original owners or other financially well position individuals felt about it (you know real customers not dreamers).

Last edited:
Here is something different in this negative thread.

http://jalopnik.com/new-acura-nsx-was-totally-reengineered-in-18-months-ha-1679196996

New Acura NSX Was Totally Reengineered In 18 Months, Has At Least 550 HP

The gestation period of the 2016 Acura NSX feels like it has taken forever, but in reality this car has taken just three years to go from concept to production car. That's incredibly fast. Especially considering that the entire powertrain concept changed less than two years ago.

In a conversation with Ted Klaus, the chief engineer of the new NSX, we were told that the layout of the NSX changed from transverse to longitudinal. The switch in layout was made to increase flexibility in the powertrain as well as for packaging reasons.

This made for a number of changes. Since the last concept, the NSX has grown by three inches in length and an inch in width. It's gone from a naturally aspirated off the shelf engine to a clean sheet design twin turbocharged V6 with a 75 degree v-angle. Right now, this engine will only be in the NSX and the entire hybrid system will make at least 550 horsepower.

At least. That's double the power of the old NSX. Double.

The changes allowed for better packaging of the hybrid system. It also let them have the ability to upgrade the system in the future since it isn't as tight. Yes, some of the weight of the transmission now shifts behind the rear axle, which does create some issues for weight transfer and packaging, but the team thought that the tradeoff would be worth it.

As for driving it, Klaus says that the driving experience is analog. Yes, a hybrid with three electric motors and a nine-speed dual clutch "feels analog." Obviously, I can't judge because I haven't driven it, but if they accomplished that, it's great.

The NSX also uses its hybrid system for torque fill, like the McLaren P1. They say it has constant thrust, like a Tesla that doesn't top out. The engine and electric motors work together to keep torque constant, they call it an instant launch.

We were told that the batteries stay in a constant state of charge so that they don't drain and compromise performance on the track. Oh, and it can carry a golf bag and a couple overnight bags. Though if you plan on doing that perhaps you should buy one of Acura's more golf-y products.

We'll be driving the NSX later this year. We'll see if it lives up to the promise. I'm cautiously excited.

Options? I don't remember the original NSX had many options. Cd changer, rear trunk mat, car phone? It was pretty loaded (at the time) I think.

The negatives of the new NSX for me are the bland looks and lack of a 3rd pedal. I hope it's a world-beater in the performance department, because it's got very little else going for it.

The overall shape lacks the smoothness and elegance of the original...too busy.
Interior looks quite good but the center console in mid dash looks very un exotic.
I like the exterior. Wish they had stayed closer to the concept with the interior. That center vent thing is not pretty, steering wheel too bulky, and gone is the beautiful CF that elegantly wrapped around the passenger from console, across dash, to become the door handle. I'm sure the colors are built to order, so undoing the two-tone seats should be easy.
That's more than doubled the price the original price 65k and close to being doubled than the later ones that were 88k.
The prices is going to keep this a very low volume car.
In today's dollars (adjusted for inflation) the 1991-2005 NSX asking price was in the $105-115k range and they were trying to sell a few/several thousands per year. With the 2016 NSX I think they're trying to sell 1200 or less per year. Decreased supply somewhat justifies what amounts to a $40-50k price increase. If they really do match/exceed 458 and 650S performance...bargain.
I'm not going to lie, the price scares me. But what I find completely unacceptable is that they STILL aren't releasing specs. Which means this is STILL preproduction. WTF!?
Amen. But at least it lets me (probably incorrectly) hope that 550+hp may actually end up meaning 650-700hp. This is not unreasonable given the drivetrain (less engine power than same-size engine in Ford GT + modest 100HP from motors is 650hp). Doesn't fit how conservative Honda/Acura has been, but they are trying to reinvent the brand, right?

IT ALL STARTS NOW*

*actual starting will take place Fall '15
Ha ha. Zing!
I think one of the biggest negatives of the new NSX is that it has turned the NSX community into a bunch of nitpickers and whiners... :(

This thing is out, like it or not. I'm just happy Honda is back making sportscars.

Can we get back to the love of our cars now?
Amen. Yes, glad there is a new one to drool over. As much as the price is a little higher than expected, it does not hurt the value of our cars. Also probably puts used ones closer to our reach than used 458/12C/650S...and I would assume much lower cost of ownership than those other brands.

Last edited:
When Fiat decided the Viper bleeding needed to stop (+ cleaned house of some dreamers), a $15K across the board
adjustment was placed on all unsold '13 & '14 models. Current owners were also given $15K vouchers for future
purchases. $140K new cars now being sold for $90K or less.

MSRP on new '15's down to that same level.

Selling good now + they've instigated a "bespoke" option for owners to custom build their cars at un-Porsche like
option costs.

Car isn't my cup of tea, but reality speaks volumes.

The "mid $150K " NSX number is raising some doubt about reality for many enthusiasts I know......like "WTF, are they crazy? "

EDIT: Poll over on Rennlist ↓↓↓ (of course they're Porsche owners so...well you know)- FWIW I'm a long time multiple NSX owner/cheerleader. The originals were the best kept secret in sports cars.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/853164-gt-3-rs-acura-nsx-ford-gt-or.html

Last edited:
When Fiat decided the Viper bleeding needed to stop (+ cleaned house of some dreamers), a $15K across the board
adjustment was placed on all unsold '13 & '14 models. Current owners were also given $15K vouchers for future
purchases. $140K new cars now being sold for $90K or less.

MSRP on new '15's down to that same level.

Selling good now + they've instigated a "bespoke" option for owners to custom build their cars at un-Porsche like
option costs.

Car isn't my cup of tea, but reality speaks volumes.

The "mid $150K " NSX number is raising some doubt about reality for many enthusiasts I know......like "WTF, are they crazy? "

The problem is the Viper gave you nothing exotic or new in comparison to a Corvette Z06. Both are FR layout with a big engine and perform is similar. The reduction in price of the Viper was to bring it more in line with the Corvette Z06. For around $150k+ what other hybrid, mid-engine, AWD "supercar" can you purchase with torque fill technology? You're talking about P1 or 918 level of tech here. If Honda/Acura can deliver this might end up being a "hypercar" bargain.

I apologize in advance if this comes out a bit rambling and incoherent. I'm a bit hung over after The Ohio State win last night. However, after reading all the groaning and gnashing of teeth going on here, my .02 needs to come out of my aching head. I take my car to various meets around central Texas. And I'm regularly approached by Ferrari, McLaren and Lambo owners who have owned an NSX before and are kicking themselves for selling it or who have wanted to own an NSX and just haven't gotten around to it. These are guys that can afford and like the $250K exotics with their state of the art tech and high performance. These are the guys that Honda/Acura are targeting with NSX2.0. and Honda (wisely this time) will only build a car that has been ordered. There will be no stock sitting in the dealer lots this time if the economy goes bad.

Now some of us on this forum went to NSXPO and met some of the design engineers on the New NSX. Some of those engineers either own an NSX or have access to one and let me tell you they are just as enthusiastic of the first NSX as we are. I think that they understand why we love our cars so much even when there are other cars in our price range with much newer technology and higher HP. Further, they were very respectful of us current owners while knowing that most of us were not going to be buyers of the new NSX.

If auto technology stood still as some posting here, it appears, would like then we'd all still be driving Daimlers. And comparing the new NSX with the LFA is just plain stupid. The only advancement the new LFA brought to the table was its carbon fiber construction and a great sounding exhaust. The car was way over priced for what it delivered even to the people who could easily afford it. When our cars came out in 91, Honda proved that they could build an exotic car using new technologies that could perform as well or better than the most exclusive cars of that period for a lot less money and it could be driven everyday. It looks to me that the new NSX is taking on that same challenge by using today's technology and developing some of their own. As for the lack of specs yesterday, I seem to remember that the original NSX didn't have specs when it's production model came out either. The car mag writers were driving a car without our current engine and in some cases it was an automatic. So this time around the car is more complete and I'm sure Honda has more fine tuning to do before production.

I was not a fan of this new NSX early on and knew it would most likely be priced out of my comfort zone just as the first NSX was 25 years ago. And I didn't have that same feeling with this introduction as I had when the first NSX was introduced. Those were different times when access to an exotic car in the USA even for the wealthy was very limited compared to today. But, having met some of the folks that are developing NSX2.0 I'm not so skeptical of the new car's performance and quality. I intend to wait until the car is driven by the car media and hopefully by myself sometime soon before I render my opinion as to whether it is worthy of the NSX name.

Last edited:
Acura has had nothing but problems with their automatic transmissions for the last 10 years or so. They haven't even been able to get it right in accords and minivans, now jumping right in to an cutting edge super car? Even Ferrari took more than 10 years to get the F1 in their street cars almost perfect. I don't see today's Honda getting that right on the first swing.

I'm not convinced they will get SH-AWD, hybrid system, battery technology and a brand new V6 turbo motor correct on the first shot. I mean they've got 6 months left to get this to market, and as noted they scrambled get this thing hobbled together after yet another about face redirection on the drivetrain.

I also have a feeling this 550hp thing is going to quickly be discovered to not be all as it appears. Just a hunch. What does just the motor make less the electric assist?

from what I have read, the only NEGATIVE is its looks/style. Some of us like it, and some don't. I remember they already stated that the concept car would be very very close to the actual production. maybe some of us expected them to build a better looking car? seriously, some nsx owners always don't like GT-R and criticize its looks although it brings dominating performance.

Last edited:
Which facebook group are you guys talking about? NSX Owner Group or Prime Group? There is a prime group? I guess I am not in it.

the 550+ claim is very clearly leaving headroom for them to gauge the market and competition between now and release before arriving at a final number.

its a 150k v6

+ power
+ Innovations (v6+electric+turbo)

- looks/design/style. From front to the back to the engine, hideous. Glad they got rid of the dubs
- v6
- no manual xmission
- looks like every other car out there. Looks nothing like the emotions at the first glance of the original NSX.
- Does not emit the exclusive exotic feel of the original
- 7.5krpm redline

* specifically left out price as this is what I'd expect for cars w/ this tech.
* no, the looks never grew on me, because they probably never will w/o help of body mods (glad they improved the nose).

Last edited:
Only negative (to me) is the cost. And that's only because I don't have enough money. :frown:

I wanted an NSX since I first saw one in 1991, and ended up buying a 1994 in 2000 (sold in 2012). Logically, then, I should be looking for a 2019 model around 2025. Better start saving now...

The only valid negatives thus far are as follows:

1) price
2) This will be an even better dude-magnet than the NSX 1.0
3) That pontiac firebird looking mesh all over the face (is that so little children don't fall and get stuck in the electric motors? I have one of those over my window well)

But I have a feeling when the actual "professional" drivers get a hold of this and write their reviews, it'll be priced about right for what it is...sort of a poor man's 458 but hopefully superior in some ways (even if it's not on paper) :) this could even be McLaren F1 territory (icon status). Also, I would say using the inequality formula (((reliability + performance)/cost of ownership) - brand recognition/fanboys)) >> (anything else + repair bills + "being a sports car guy who's insecure")), the "great choices" in this segment are limited and this car would come out on top (pending the reviews) The tech is pretty amazing on this...at this price however, I'll probably just have to increase boost on my 1994 Toyota MR2 to about 50 psi and try to smoke it off the line to make myself feel better.

the 550+ claim is very clearly leaving headroom for them to gauge the market and competition between now and release before arriving at a final number.

Couldn't agree more. Its just like Porsche did with the 918. Everyone thought it would have horsepower in the 700s and then right before they released the actual production car, they "found" another 130 horses. Releasing a hard number almost a year before the cars roll off the production line is like putting a target on your back for all your competitors. i think they will wait to see what Nissan, Ferrari and McLaren come up with for their new models and then tune their engine accordingly.

A little too early to justify some of those conclusions IMO. It looks exactly how we expected if not a little better; no surprise to anyone there. It's pushing 550hp+; while we all hoped that would be the case I know many people were bracing themselves for a 450-480hp figure. It was never going to be lower than $125-135k. With these stats $150k is quite reasonable assuming it comes well equipped as many Acuras do. Crazy idea but maybe we should drive the car before determining if it is a failure or success.
thanks, sahtt, I was going to say what you did, only in less gentle words.

I'm afraid I must join the ranks of the disenchanted.
I mean here's a new generation NSX but where's the respect and acknowledgment of the original NSX?

Talk about ignoring the previous generation.
It's a disgrace
I'm talking about the wheels people.

Where is the embodiment and tribute to the original phat fives?

Nowhere to be found.
What an insult.
Never mind the beak, no manual and those other minor items

I'm calling this the Phat Five Fumble.

I agree. It's quite annoying with all this negativity coming up.

I stated it before and I'll state it again. If you wanted NSX 1.0 with more power just buy a turbo (I plan to) and be happy with your powerful NSX 1.0. Also about 90%+ of prime members bought their NSX 1.0 used (including myself) my guess 90%+ would still buy NSX 2.0 used because we can't comfortably afford a 100K+ new car. Why should Acura/Honda care what we (prime members) think when most of us would be buying used....

It would be interesting to see what original owners or other financially well position individuals felt about it (you know real customers not dreamers).

Excellent post. Nice to see some objectivity on this board.

My R8 V10 still excites me, but I will be looking at getting something else to sit next to it in the garage soon. Had thought about waiting to see what the next generation R8 would be like, but now I'm convinced the new NSX cannot be ignored. I bought my two previous NSXs new back in '92 and '94. While I do miss those cars, I think the new one does a great job of maintaining the NSX ethos of combining leading edge technology and engineering for a bargain price.

As for the looks, frankly, it looks stunning. I can't wait to see it in person.

Back