• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Negatives of the NSX 2.0

If it looked more like this....
93c13274a3339654548fcc0ab4e3b61b705d315a.jpg

...I'd get off my lazy ars and find a way to get one.

What car is this?

absolutely, this way it looks like a tuned Toyota Celica, from side at least

I am not sure where you are seeing the Celica in this car...tuned or not tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

What car is this?

It was the Saleen Raptor concept. It never made it to production. It would have came out about the same time as the McLaren MP4-12c

That Raptor concept pays tribute to the original NSX alot more than the NSX 2.0. Look at the side intakes and taillights from this angle. The canopy shape and side window glass replicates the 2.0 as well.

saleen raptor rear quarter.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Coincidence?

acura-nsx-yellow.jpg

saleen raptor rear photo.jpg

Well then you could say a lot of cars looks like it.

Now if Honda kept the same chassis dimensions and ground clearance with 2" smaller wheels, the wheel wells would have been accordingly smaller but the overall height would be the same.

It's likely an NSX-R would be lower, but I would be surprised if they compromised 1" or more of lowering/loss of ground clearance.

But wheel diameter will affect chassis dimension and hood height regardless. If the wheel well was 2 inches less, it would reduce hood height the front and overall height unless they are going for the wheel to height ratio of say, a 2001 Celica with a 24 inch diameter wheel at 51+ inch overall height :rolleyes: (Which looks nothing like the new NSX as some have pointed out.) Most exotic looking/low sports cars are less than 200% of the tire diameter when it comes to overall height. Non sports car's height will have the appearance of really small wheels due to a much higher ratio of overall height to wheel. This is the form and detail that most people don't see or recognize.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-acura-nsx-side-profile.jpg

Not even close.

Toyota-Celica-TS-729x486-afa347d7acaf460f.jpg

RSX* maybe, but no NSX EVER.

Last edited:
Maybe with a black top it will look less massive... At the moment it's really fat. 2 days ago i saw a new Corvette Z06 in person (only saw photos before), i must say it's looking strikingly good. The front end is much cleaner than the NSX2.0, and rear end is quite slimmer with its 2-tone scheme. The overall body shape is a lot leaner too... And that exhaust note !! I always thought that Corvettes were cheap and plasticky apart from the original Stingray, and i think that one creates as much emotion as the Stingray itself. Too bad it's still front engine...

Maybe with a black top it will look less massive... At the moment it's really fat. 2 days ago i saw a new Corvette Z06 in person (only saw photos before), i must say it's looking strikingly good. The front end is much cleaner than the NSX2.0, and rear end is quite slimmer with its 2-tone scheme. The overall body shape is a lot leaner too... And that exhaust note !! I always thought that Corvettes were cheap and plasticky apart from the original Stingray, and i think that one creates as much emotion as the Stingray itself. Too bad it's still front engine...

The black top will make it look leaner. The prominent flying buttress arch on the side is what makes the car look beefy as the actual dimensions are rather lean. If they did not go with that element and kept the C pillar, it would have looked much leaner or they could have trimmed down that element to make the arch much thinner in appearance. This is why most people keep trying to make the analogy of a 350Z or Celica, because of the Hatch style rear window and supporting frame. Even the new Corvette has loss the C pillar for reasons most likely because of safety laws. Can't really win either way, as with the C pillar, many people mistaken the old NSX for the more household name Corvette or even 240SX.

In Europe both are exotic ;) I think there's more than that, the belt line of the NSX 2.0 is much higher, which is why many people compare it to Audi, since that high belt line was a trademark of the TT and then the R8. That makes the car looks fatter IMHO, it's then a matter of taste, many people like the Audi's, likewise many people prefer big boobs and fat rear ends :D

Last edited:
Belt line is higher because of modern demand for larger diameter wheels and the buttress is part of it. If the old NSX had 26-27 inch tires, it would have a higher belt line and never sit at 46 inches tall in stock height.

It is a matter of taste at the end of the day though, but I truly don't see much resemblance with any Audi and the new NSX.

and undoubtedly, more than anything else i reckon, the new Corvette. or whatever Corvette...

indeed I still get that reference for the bee...:confused:

But wheel diameter will affect chassis dimension and hood height regardless. If the wheel well was 2 inches less, it would reduce hood height the front and overall height unless they are going for the wheel to height ratio of say, a 2001 Celica with a 24 inch diameter wheel at 51+ inch overall height :rolleyes: (Which looks nothing like the new NSX as some have pointed out.) Most exotic looking/low sports cars are less than 200% of the tire diameter when it comes to overall height. Non sports car's height will have the appearance of really small wheels due to a much higher ratio of overall height to wheel. This is the form and detail that most people don't see or recognize.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-acura-nsx-side-profile.jpg

Not even close.

Toyota-Celica-TS-729x486-afa347d7acaf460f.jpg

RSX* maybe, but no NSX EVER.
You're really missing the point. The wheel & OD are taken into consideration very early in the design phase, since it affects the dimensions of the chassis, gear ratios, etc...

If you keep the greenhouse of the car the same (floor to roof, head room, etc...) A smaller OD tire will allow for smaller wheel wells and possibly a lower front fender, BUT given the constraints of the greenhouse size, ride heights (to meet the driveway approach angle targets for its given overhangs), etc... A smaller tire will have NO affect on the overall roof height or ground clearance of the car. The only way to lower the car is to sacrifice ground clearance (an important aspect for a production car) OR the height of the roof/greenhouse, which affects the cabin size inside the car, headroom, etc...

The new Ford GT is going to have an overall roof height quite a bit lower than the NSX and 488, while having similarly large 20" wheels with large ODs. But that car was designed from the start with a large OD tire and a very low roofline, greenhouse target. But that also means there's less room inside than the NSX or 488.

Last edited:
You're really missing the point. The wheel & OD are taken into consideration very early in the design phase, since it affects the dimensions of the chassis, gear ratios, etc...

If you keep the greenhouse of the car the same (floor to roof, head room, etc...) A smaller OD tire will allow for smaller wheel wells and possibly a lower front fender, BUT given the constraints of the greenhouse size, ride heights (to meet the driveway approach angle targets for its given overhangs), etc... A smaller tire will have NO affect on the overall roof height or ground clearance of the car. The only way to lower the car is to sacrifice ground clearance (an important aspect for a production car) OR the height of the roof/greenhouse, which affects the cabin size inside the car, headroom, etc...

The new Ford GT is going to have an overall roof height quite a bit lower than the NSX and 488, while having similarly large 20" wheels with large ODs. But that car was designed from the start with a large OD tire and a very low roofline, greenhouse target. But that also means there's less room inside than the NSX or 488.

I don't think we are in disagreement at all haha, except in the choice of outer diameter wheels as it's a given that an expected of amount of interior/headroom is demanded for these cars. We see the same engineering outcome, just different takes on why we believe it should be A or B.

Can we steer this back to a discussion of the Tour rather than a discussion of what we like/dislike about the car? I just want updates on the tour and the surrounding post noise is making that difficult.

I encourage you to start a separate thread to discuss separate topics.

Good idea!

It all started from these pictures:

Then, my initial comments:

Grrr ..

Those NSX pictures give more informations about its overall look and volume distribution.

About the side view: TOO MUCH front overhang which is not reminescent of the classic rear midengine exotic sportscar.

It is IMO far from being elegant. As we pointed out repeatedly, the new NSX front end is in may ways WRONG and is suffering of a poor execution.

This front end is so WRONG that we could easily think that it is an ordinary front engine car ( which is partially true considering the twin electric motors ... ). Talk about ruining a promising design concept ...

Shame on you Honda ...

F ...ck, I do not want it to look like a scaled down Viper ...

Hmm.. I didn't pay too much attention to these pictures, but you are right. :eek:

That side profile shot from that angle makes the front end of the car look quite long.

Lame explanation and cheap comments offered from N Spec:

It's because of the short rear overhang. The original NSX has a long front and rear overhang.

- - - Updated - - -

Then don't buy one lol. Move on. Honda has let you down for how many years now? If you think it looks like a Viper, etc. :rolleyes:

N-Spec - I know you are a supporter of the new design and don't like to pick at it too much but I agree with Effer. Its strange to me because in general, front end designs have tended to either be focused on a short front overhang and end up compromising on the cowl height (e.g. Camaro or any BMW), or they go for a very low front and end up sacrificing the short overhang (e.g. 458 or LaFerrari). Very rare is the car that possesses both the short front overhang with the low cowl height (e.g. C7 Corvette or Lotus Elise). Unfortunately, the NSX seems to have neither the low cowl height or short front overhang!

Just for kicks, can you compare the overhang of the NSX to the 458 Italia to show us that it is not any longer or any taller? Not sure if you have enough information to do it but you usually work miracles with your modeling.

Mega LOL. N Spec, did I already tell you that you are lame? Intellectually dishonest?

“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert

TERA LOL!

It has nothing to do with the rear short overhang. I am just talking about the front end, period. Look at a Lamborghini Diablo sideview ... Maybe you will very shortly begin to be about to soon start to understand . But I do not invest too much hope in this ... LO LOL

The NSX2 front end is WRONG, in lenght, in proportions and in execution.

Short rear overhang? Just take a look at the sideview of a Lamborghini Huracán, despite an almost inexistant rear overhang, the front end is GOOD and makes no confusion about its rear midengine character.

Mind your own business coco!

It will be my own decision and I kindly remind you just to mind your own ... business please! LOL

Compos sui effer, compos sui ...

Hmm.. The 2013 NAIAS concept car had a much shorter front overhang.

Exotic car these days have short front/rear overhangs, long front/rear overhangs are very 1980's.

Hmm..

Could it be possible that the illusion of the extra long nose be the the result of a wide angle lens or post processing?

From what I understand a wide angle lens will throw off the perspective depending on how close or how far an object is.

Update: Keep in mind that both the blue and black cars are not 90 degrees perpendicular to the camera, so a wide angle lens would not capture the cars "at the right scale/proportions".

Your drawing is interesting. Less busy than what we see on actual car which is also good from the front perspective. The problem lies in its volume ( not your solution but Honda's one ... ), its overall shape and the multiple textures ( grilles, infamous beak albeit degenerated, hood height, ... )

Picture showing the white NSX2 concept: front looks wider and lower proving the design to be interesting.

Picture showing the red NSX2: the front overhang seems to be way much less ... ( like 2slow2speed pointed out: wide angle distortion? ( which I doubt ... but maybe ... ))

Picture showing frontview of both NSX1 and NSX2: putting in evidence that frontview is not bad ...

View attachment 127222
View attachment 127223
View attachment 127224

My solution would be to exploit Honda's idea ( or Valkyrie Pilot's one ) keeping in mind to reduce front overhang, to accentuate the wedge aspect and in the goal to counteract the hood height regulations, like Ferrari and Lamborghini do, create big front vents reducing the body volume. By front vents I mean deep ones giving the illusion of having less body and creating sharper, thinner and more aggressive nose.

Putting grilles almost flush with front boby panels doesn't fool anybody ( except maybe N Spec* ) and doesn't do Ferrari and Lamborghini's tricks ...

*What is the difference between N Spec and God?

God does not pretend to be N Spec.

Still not compos sui effer!

I agree. Personally I think if they got the front right, I could easily overlook ALL the other complaints and criticisms that are popping up and be a HUGE fan of the new NSX. In these shots from the #tour , when you couldn't see the front, the design looked so promising...

so_promising.png

But once the veil was removed, it really does look more like an ordinary front engine car (w/its hung headlights) and you're left deflated with a sigh. If only the face paid better homage to the original (any of the below random examples do a better job imo), honestly I wouldn't care as much about the final power output, the interior, final weight, 0-60 times, etc. (that's just me)...since it's still going to be an amazing vehicle for the $ (remember folks, it's still a Honda). BUT since they got the face incorrect imo, I think it makes it easier to not like other stuff too.

face_comparo.png

Great point, VF. It is quite surprising how great the NSX design looks when the front is covered. The headlights and front strakes do not seem to be the problem and actually look great IMO as long as the center section is hidden.

Regarding the above 4 cars, their fronts are good and do not offend at all but are very standard for the most part and shout "me too" (except for the Aston Martin). The lights are about the only unique thing. However, to your point VF, what they have going for them that the NSX does not is 3 crucial things: Very low, Low Mass (as effer so astutely pointed out), and Simple Design.

Ted, please tune in and stand up to the corporate designers!

- - - Updated - - -

As I stated above, you make a great point effer. The current trend is toward deep vents (e.g. LaFerrari, Corvette, Huracan). The hex grill is so 90's and contributes to the heavy feel of the front.

So do the hanging lights need to go as well or do they make it interesting? The 991 911 has hanging lights so they definitely seem to be hip these days.

- - - Updated - - -

That's funny VF. It hurts but its funny. How you computer design gurus do that, I don't think I will ever understand. And it seems so effortless.

I've already compared it in an earlier post. Just know that the hood line of the NSX is actually lower than the 458/488 and the overall roof height are the same for both cars. The longer, stretched out nose makes it look lower, but in fact it is not. I'll do another one later when I get a chance to sit down.

- - - Updated - - -

You quote a philosopher but can't make your own articulated rebuttal to me calling you a day dreamer.

So which is it Prime? Is the NSX too short and fat or too long in the nose. It's being accused of everything:

2017-Acura-NSX-side.jpg

acura-nsx-4911.jpg

P1127737-Acura-NSX-NAIAS-2015-600x338.jpg

Same car. Different angles and cameras. The car has been made to look short/stubby, to medium length, and to long and lean. The truth is that the car is rather quite balance in fact for it look like both polar opposites very much like an average height man can be made to look shorter or very tall and athletic or fat on camera screen depending on the situation/variables.

Wait til you can walk up to it, sit in it, and drive the car. Then we can debate from there. None of this really matters if the car is not fast enough or will break down 3-6 years from now because of unreliable/poorly designed tech. Or even worse, non-existent tech, as in canned again. If we were to only debate the first gen NSX from pictures or quick walk-ups and supposed spec sheets, then I can promise you that it would be nitpicked to death too. However, most of us are enjoying owning one after the experience of driving and detailing one, so it's a different type of euphoria that cannot be garnered from speculation and waiting.

Unbelievable. Maybe because I don't give it a s...

Maybe because you prove that either you did not read any of my previous comments nor understand them or you misinterpret them on purpose ... Remember: intellectual dishonesty ... Your point fort!

N Spec, you excessively say nothing ...

What can I say? You are ... lame. Educated but lame.

Worse and worse, don't feed the Troll effer ...

Lol, so your last resort is to try and attack me personally, but I don't personally know you so your attempts are feebly wasted. I'm asking you for a real reply to the debate over a car based on pictures and specs when the forum, not as a whole, but in spirit of negativity has been contradicting their thoughts and opinions about car in development for 3, going on 4 years, versus a 20+ year old car that they can personally find tangible and enjoy already.

488NSXCorvett_zpsjxawjvjw.jpg

Both the new Corvette and 458 have taller hoodline than the new NSX. The NSX has lowest possible hoodline that is regulated as shown. The 458 has a long nose to make it appear like it has a thin nose and the Corvette's long front engine hood has the same effect even if the front bumper is short overhang due to the front wheels being pulled towards the tip. The new NSX's controversial front bumper treatment gives it the illusion that it has a stocky hoodline, but in fact it does not. I've talked about this already, but people don't seem to realize it. And then, just recently people want to complain that the hood is too long like a Viper??? Neither of these descriptions are true.

Again, something is better than nothing. The new NSX is supposed to be better than most of the market in terms of performance for the dollar, even if it's out of reach for many pre-owned first gen NSX owners now. The car is ~90% acceptable in present form IMO. The details can be fixed either through oem refresh cycles or aftermarket offerings. I'd rather Acura release one soon with working and competent components, then for them to shelf it again like they did 5-6 years ago and the HSC and start all over. No car is perfect, especially our first gens no matter how much we love it, but this new NSX certainly does not deserve the amount criticism that is thrown at it because Acura as a brand cannot offer a proper V8 or FR platform that many luxury buyers want.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, so your last resort is to try and attack me personally, but I don't personally know you so your attempts are feebly wasted.

Wrong again ... Just try to be intellectually honest please. Nice photoshopped pictures aren't enough to transmute biased bull sh it into truth ...

I'm asking you for a real reply to the debate over a car based on pictures and specs when the forum, ...

There we are!

488NSXCorvett_zpsjxawjvjw.jpg

Both the new Corvette and 458 have taller hoodline than the new NSX. The NSX has lowest possible hoodline that is regulated as shown. The 458 has a long nose to make it appear like it has a thin nose and the Corvette's long front engine hood has the same effect even if the front bumper is short overhang due to the front wheels being pulled towards the tip. The new NSX's controversial front bumper treatment gives it the illusion that it has a stocky hoodline, but in fact it does not. I've talked about this already, but people don't seem to realize it. And then, just recently people want to complain that the hood is too long like a Viper??? Neither of these descriptions are true.

Again, something is better than nothing. The new NSX is supposed to be better than most of the market in terms of performance for the dollar, even if it's out of reach for many pre-owned first gen NSX owners now. The car is ~90% acceptable in present form IMO. The details can be fixed either through oem refresh cycles or aftermarket offerings. I'd rather Acura release one soon with working and competent components, then for them to shelf it again like they did 5-6 years ago and the HSC and start all over. No car is perfect, especially our first gens no matter how much we love it, but this new NSX certainly does not deserve the amount criticism that is thrown at it because Acura as a brand cannot offer a proper V8 or FR platform that many luxury buyers want.

Blah, blah, blah ... Useless in this discussion. From where do you start? Pictures of early prototypes?

Your efforts are really cute but if the final product differs from your early prototypes models, I would rather qualify them as ... lame.

We are actually talking about the three NSX showed by gleibig. This is where it starts. These NSX do not look like the others ...

The question is:

are these NSX having a bigger and longer front end or is it a picture distortion as pointed out by 2slow2speed?

I tend to actually believe that these pictures are not enough distorted to explain all the extra nose length ... ( Why? Look at the front wheels and the stage ... )

When we compare these two different NSX, nose of prototype seems to be shorter when you look at the centre grille section compared to the rolling pre production example showed on the second picture. It is subtle ... I am not sure, picture angles are different ...

acura-nsx-4911.jpg
NSX2RougeblackSpoiler.jpg

Last edited:
It's the same car with subtle differences. The picture changes from far away to up close. Do not make me waste my time with an animation to show you how that works. It's called perspective and physics.

I think it has less to do with lens distortion and more to do with the angle of the shot and the design of the front. Because the design of the front has it angled as it approaches the center grill it appears to look bigger when you from a three quarter perspective. Conversely when the car is viewed from a slight rear perspective the front overhang looks very small. This is also true of the design of the rear which looks nice and long when viewed from a slight rear perspective but looks very short when viewed from a slight forward perspective

Back