• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2010 F1 Megathread

Wow, that was sudden! Almost looks like a mechanical problem happened...

I think that's what happened. He clips the wall on the straight right before he crashes out on the curve. You can also tell he's on the brakes the whole time too. I've read somewhere that the throttle was also stuck wide open.

Interesting progression of drivers to No. 1. The logic is reasonable though I'm surprised at the result.

Weber is a stud.

JamesAllen said:
New broken shoulder the cause of Webber’s slide at end of season?

One possible reason why Mark Webber’s form in the crucial final four races of the season declined is a fractured shoulder from yet another mountain bike accident, shortly before the Japanese Grand Prix.

The 34 year old travelled back to Australia after the Singapore Grand Prix and went out on a mountain bike ride when he injured himself again. He was following a friend who fell and with nowhere to go, Webber crashed into him and fractured his shoulder.

It is what is known as a “skier’s fracture”, because the most common reason for that type of break is a tumble when skiing. It lies quite deep in the joint and although it sounds dramatic it’s quite a fine fracture. The problem is it cannot be treated.

“I was riding with a great friend of mine. Suddenly, he crashed right in front of me and I had nowhere to go but straight through the ears of the horse!

“I suffered what they call a skier’s fracture to my right shoulder,” writes Webber.

He did not tell Red Bull team boss Christian Horner or anyone else in the team, aside from his trainer Roger Cleary and FIA doctor Gary Hartstein. He was given cortisone injections before driving in Japan and Korea.

The revelation comes in Webber’s new book, “Up Front: A season to remember”, which has just been published in Australia.

At the time he was leading the world championship, with 202 points, 21 ahead of Fernando Alonso and 31 ahead of eventual champion Sebastian Vettel.

It was the second fractured shoulder Webber has suffered in the last two years. In November 2008 he suffered shoulder and leg injuries in a mountain bike accident in Tasmania. Ironically this new incident was the first time he had been on a mountain bike since the Tasmania accident.

Although not the typical Red Bull athlete in terms of his general demeanour and dress sense, Webber seems to typify the breed more than most in terms of taking part in risky extreme sports.

Despite the injury, Webber managed to finish second in Japan and Brazil, but a crash in Korea and an off colour performance in Abu Dhabi lost him the championship to Vettel. I’m told that Webber does not feel that the injury was an excuse for not making the grade in the end.

Nevertheless it was a ’season to remember’ with wins in Spain, Monaco, Silverstone and Hungary.

When he said recently that he would take the drivers’ title next season, he was probably thinking about how he would perform without the shoulder injury he had kept quiet.

I new Webber's "luck" would surface some time [though he had a reasonable amount of "good" luck this season].

It obviously didn't affect his performance too badly, or does it show just how easy the Red Bulls were going at some of the tracks.

It probably was a contributing factor in the Korean crash [the sudden reaction required to correct the loose couldn't have been too comfortable] but it doesn't explain why he qualified so badly in the last race?

Actually got to meet him when he came to do the Red Bull "display" at the local track here in Western Australia. Seems every bit as nice and "down to earth" as he does in interviews. He jeted in in the afternoon on a long flight out from London, did two "sit down" interviews for television and was at the reception diner by 7:30pm. Took all the usual PR grind in his stride, didn't complain when my partner went up to him half way through his main course to ask for an autograph. He was even quite chatty, asking about the book he had signed [The Art of Racing in the Rain?, that dog story?] and discussing it with her at length. In the end we were ushered away by a minder [she embarrasses me sometimes :redface: ]
By 11pm you could see he was "out of it" in his eyes, but he still stood there and had his photo taken with the various guests, smiling, chatting and being very accomodating - until his minders came over and ushered him away at 11:30pm. Unfortunately we were only a couple of places away from having our photo taken with him :frown: Oh well......

Re:Webber's shoulder

well, I'm quite interested to know what a skier's fracture is. I can't imagine having any kind of shoulder injury and wrestling a formula car around for 5+ hours a weekend.

I guess if the shoulder is injured in the extended position, maybe it's not as painful when the arm is "down" below the shoulder. Just guessing. WTFDIK? :rolleyes:

Still, driving with any injury at all under the kind of G's they experience is remarkable. $hit, a wrinkle in my nomex is unacceptable. :mad:

Maybe things are different in Australia since toilets flush the other way...but there is no fx of the shoulder called a skiiers fx..a "skiiers" fx is described for the thumb,otherwise called the gamekeepers thumb..

In analysing Massa's performance in a speech at Ferrari's traditional Christmas lunch at their Maranello base, di Montezemolo said that: "Felipe had a complicated season, but he will be able to get back to the level that saw him back in 2008 which is not exactly a long time ago, become world champion, albeit for just a few seconds."

It will be interesting to see if Massa can get back to his best, 2008 form? I have to admit his performance that year certainly changed my perspective of his abilities, which up till then I did not rate highly.

It would be interesting to know what his "complications" were?? Health related from his accident? Mental problems from that same accident? His new team mate?

This is just plain stupid. Two car manufacturers' names cannot coexist on one F1 car.

You can have McLaren-Honda (Senna / Prost) or Williams-Renault (Mansell / Patrese), but Toyota-Honda? Or Mercedes-GM? Which manufacturer are you trying to promote?

I know Renault engineers designed the chassis and engine on that car. The Lotus name painted all over it is a distraction.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88711

Although Renault's F1 team has been rebranded as Lotus Renault because of the title sponsorship deal, the outfit has not designated its chassis as Lotus, which means it is still officially running Renault cars.

Speaking in London on Wednesday, Bahar made it clear his company was not pretending that the team was now wholly Lotus - and said he fully understood that people will continue to call it the Renault team.​

Re: CrashNet fan votes for driver ratings

40,000 votes. Installment #1. The bottom of the barrel.

27th - Yamamoto
26th - Lucas Di Grassi
25th - Bruno Senna
24th - Pedro de la Rosa
23rd - Vitantonio Liuzzi
22nd - Christian Klien
21st - Karun Chandhok
20th - Jarno Trulli
19th - Sebastien Buemi
18th - Timo Glock
17th - Jaime Alguersuari
16th - Nick Heidfeld
15th - Heikki Kovalainen
14th - Vitaly Petrov
13th - Felipe Massa
12th - Michael Schumacher
11th - Adrian Sutil

Not much respect for Senna. Kind of expected the Toro Rosso boys to score higher and expected Sutil and Schumi to score lower. JMHOWTFDIK? :redface:

Re: CrashNet fan votes for driver ratings

40,000 votes. Installment #1. The bottom of the barrel.

27th - Yamamoto
26th - Lucas Di Grassi
25th - Bruno Senna
24th - Pedro de la Rosa
23rd - Vitantonio Liuzzi
22nd - Christian Klien
21st - Karun Chandhok
20th - Jarno Trulli
19th - Sebastien Buemi
18th - Timo Glock
17th - Jaime Alguersuari
16th - Nick Heidfeld
15th - Heikki Kovalainen
14th - Vitaly Petrov
13th - Felipe Massa
12th - Michael Schumacher
11th - Adrian Sutil

Not much respect for Senna. Kind of expected the Toro Rosso boys to score higher and expected Sutil and Schumi to score lower. JMHOWTFDIK? :redface:

Sometimes I wish all cars were equal, so we can have a better driver comparison. I'm sure any of those guys would be a bit higher with a better car, specially the ones with the new teams.

Back