• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

THE ULTIMATE NSX Oil Filter Page and Analysis

Im due for an oil change... there is alot of info here... almost to much. If you go with a "taller" filter do you have to add extra oil? My head is spinning from reading all this.... maybe I better re-read it again LOL

When i do an online search for Purolator L22484 it comes up with nothing.... is there a new part number?
Try L24484 :)

The stock oil capacity was spec'd with the tall filter. I usually put 5qts in, check the level, start the car, then recheck and add as needed to top it off.

The same oil that has been, and will continue to be, cycled and moved through the engine and filter, under temporary and extreme conditions, a small portion is allowed to bypass the filter, as engineered and designed, and that is being called "unfiltered oil'. :biggrin:

Im due for an oil change... there is alot of info here... almost to much. If you go with a "taller" filter do you have to add extra oil? My head is spinning from reading all this.... maybe I better re-read it again LOL

When i do an online search for Purolator L22484 it comes up with nothing.... is there a new part number?

Your signature? You're a original owner of a 1991?

Last edited:
FYI, I went to a few auto parts stores yesterday and most carried the Purolator L22484 though none had more than one or two in stock. Unfortunately, I can't use the tall oil filters b/c of an SOS Oil Cooler sandwich takes up too much room. But the L22484s are around, you just have to look for them or order online.

Your signature? You're a original owner of a 1991?

Well not exactly. My father is the original owner. But he bought it kind of like a father/son thing so I consider myself an original owner since I washed it and maintained it as drove it for the most part. The car now has 12200 miles as of yesterday and and it should have far less except one summer i tired to almost daily drive the car lol. The only thing we've done is change oil and some fluids. I think I'm going to change the spark plugs this year finally lol.

Last edited:
Well not exactly. My father is the original owner. But he bought it kind of like a father/son thing so I consider myself an original owner since I washed it and maintained it as drove it for the most part. The car now has 12200 miles as of yesterday and and it should have far less except one summer i tired to almost daily drive the car lol. The only thing we've done is change oil and some fluids. I think I'm going to change the spark plugs this year finally lol.

If that's the only thing you've done to service the car I'd seriously check into doing other maintenance. Last thing you'd want is to have a nice low mile Nsx and have something take out the engine.

Funny because I've thought about taking it somewhere to have it completely gone through. But who? Or where? I asked for recommendations last year and no one replied. I hight about just taking it to an Acura dealer. Or maybe SOS?

so how close are u to Driving Ambition, Autowave, guys? if u're closer all those guys have good rep on prime. i wouldn't hesitate to have them work on my nsx. a buddy of mine ship his nsx from Indiana to Driving Ambition to get it worked on. That says a lot.

I wouldn't mind shipping it or towing it down to SOS and having a few items done and then shipping or towing it back.

If you're in Las Vegas I'm sure we could recommend someone. For dealership most guys go to Findlay Acura, I've always taken mine to Hondoctors and been very happy.

You should try and make it out to C&C sometime.

The car is in Minot ND, we have a second house in Vegas. I do the drive to Vegas a few times a year so one of the times I could just tow it down.

The car is in Minot ND, we have a second house in Vegas. I do the drive to Vegas a few times a year so one of the times I could just tow it down.

When I was stationed up in Minot I never saw your NSX. Back before I got mine. I remember your black Charger. Saw it a couple of times at some meets. I saw a photo of the house I used to live in it was under water. How are things with the flood recovery? I diubt you remember me, but I was on that ND street forum(can't remember the name) under "Nukem"

Sorry off topic.

When I was stationed up in Minot I never saw your NSX. Back before I got mine. I remember your black Charger. Saw it a couple of times at some meets. I saw a photo of the house I used to live in it was under water. How are things with the flood recovery? I diubt you remember me, but I was on that ND street forum(can't remember the name) under "Nukem"

Sorry off topic.

Northernanimation.com.

I don't drive the car much. But today we jacked it up and pulled the wheels and are doing alot of fluid changes and update the ac and I think I'm going to buy some big brakes while I have it up.

Alot of houses are in bad shape. Alot have been ditched its pretty sad honestly. Some places the lawn has been let go and it's become over grown weeds and so many houses are just gutted or collapsed. I don't know when you moved but we need those houses more then ever due to the oil boom. We lost alot of hoses but have a ton of people moving here and its driving rent and real estate through the roof! Nd is just a huge poop show right now lol

You hit the nail on the head, while this is very interesting data about filter construction ,the one spec is the pressure differential that will cause the by pass to engage.

It could be coincidence, but it seemed like when I ran the newer style filters, my oil gauge would sometimes drop a few bars while drivings. I assumed it was my oil sensor. I've recently switched back to the old style long honda filters and now my oil gauge stays in the same spot on the highway.
Makes me wonder if the bypass valve is maybe opening up on the new filters on the highway?

I also question the assumption that more filter area within a small filter is better. Not saying it's wrong, but how does that effect oil starvation during startup?

Both would be my conjecture based on Vulcan logic.

Are you out of your Vulcan mind? :biggrin:

I just wanted to use that. I'm in a grey area here. I have a passel of filters at my disposal at any given time due to the amount of Hondas I end up servicing.

I have rebranded L22484 tall boys I was planning to use on the N, shortie OEMs, Purogolds (really liked those for their tactiles), Mobils that came in package deals from Avtozoni, etc.

I'm just not sure whether I wanna stick with stock Honda even if they're the shorties, or comtinue with the talls.

This is the filter you want. But hey, what do I know? I only have 290,000 miles on my car. :)

How many oil changes have you used the Denso 150-1013? Oil brand / type?

I have to change my fluids this weekend and I am thinking about the L22484 or the 150-1013.

thanks

How many oil changes have you used the Denso 150-1013? Oil brand / type?

I started using the Denso 150-1013 when the OEM filter was discontinued a few years ago. I've used it dozens of times since I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I use Amsoil Synthetic High Zinc 10W-40 oil. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx

I started using the Denso 150-1013 when the OEM filter was discontinued a few years ago. I've used it dozens of times since I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

Agreed. Although I've managed to source about 8-10 of the OEM Toyo Roki tall filters for the NSX, there are two G2 Legends in the stable and I use the Denso 1013 religiously. In fact, I have started using a Denso on my wife's Infiniti i30t and find it does a great job there as well.

Agreed. Although I've managed to source about 8-10 of the OEM Toyo Roki tall filters for the NSX, there are two G2 Legends in the stable and I use the Denso 1013 religiously. In fact, I have started using a Denso on my wife's Infiniti i30t and find it does a great job there as well.

Here a quote from a review from amazon for the denso

1.0 out of 5 stars Denso package holes and oil filter contamination, September 21, 2010
By Robert R. Hale "NSX fan" - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Denso 150-1013 Oil Filter (Automotive)
I can not now recommend this Denso oil filter. Although Denso is alleged to have made good products (in Japan?), the filters I recently purchased all have sizeable holes punched in the center of the clear plastic protective packaging film. I have never before seen such holes in any oil filter protective closures. Denso's US CA warehouse has agreed that the holes are apparently present for all products they now have in stock, but Denso refuses to even discuss the technical whys and wherefores, or whether/if/how they control the process of making these holes so as to adequately control contaminant introduction to the filters. Particles, including those from the fractured as-punctured plastic film, are unavoidably introduced into and present in the DOWNSTREAM side of the oil filter because of these (vent?) holes. From there, the contaminants are ready to enter and immediately damage your engine bearings! I've taken numerous photos and will be posting additional details on appropriate forums. Earlier Denso oil filters reportedly did not have such packaging holes. But, in case you do buy them, at least vacuum out the particles before installing them. Bob.

Back