• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

THE ULTIMATE NSX Oil Filter Page and Analysis

I agree. I have never seen an expiration date or best before date on oil.
Engine hours is the best measure for you next oil change. Engine hour meters are dirt cheap. Why doesn't everyone have one?

I always thought it was due to moisture over time, such as a car stored in a non-climate-controlled garage all year?

I just want to add a little info.

I am experiencing low oil pressure with a Pure Power billet filter installed. Currently not sure if it's the filter or not however i did find an article on the web with someone with the same issue.

I'm going to replace with a Fahle which is 111.5mm and report back.

I always thought it was due to moisture over time, such as a car stored in a non-climate-controlled garage all year?

With exposed brake fluid - yes.

But not engine oil. Besides, whatever water might be present during the combustion process is steamed off and out of the exhaust.

I can't imagine how water would even get in the crankcase area if it's just sitting there in storage.

Just ask the ancient Egyptians.

helicopter+hieroglyphs+abydos.jpg

With exposed brake fluid - yes.

But not engine oil. Besides, whatever water might be present during the combustion process is steamed off and out of the exhaust.

I can't imagine how water would even get in the crankcase area if it's just sitting there in storage.

No biggie, if your change intervals work for you, then great. Some of us in the colder climates have to think about the seasons & temperature cycles.

I'm no expert but I like listening to experts. :)

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...xpert-oil-advice?p=25212&viewfull=1#post25212

Moisture gets into the crankcase/oil from condensation and primarily from the combustion process itself.

This is why it's crucial for cars to have their oil temperatures operate above 212*F so it boils off the water in the oil. It's also the reason that many oil analysis companies recommend running the car hard and draining the oil 'hot' to take the sample.

Another option I have found - any thoughts/comments? I have just purchased these JS-Asakashi filters for my daily Accord and the quality appears very good. There's a video below of the filter cut open compared to some other known brands.

Not sure where exactly they are produced but the company itself is Japanese AFAIK.

Their 'C807J' appears to have the dimensions of the OEM tall filter.

http://www.js-filter.com/catalogue/filter/28857/C807J

A few pictures of some I ordered. Impressed with the quality of the O-ring and general construction.

53fa6bad4de6da7132cf5a32062d1b54.jpg

6f193d53e0f451176783285c3c01918f.jpg

58944e74fbdaa38732d7ac3e6ee1a1e3.jpg

Also an alternative to the Fram filter some are using as a cabin air filter :)

08905e7397a31f855a1bafc3b37789f4.jpg

Last edited:
Another option I have found - any thoughts/comments? I have just purchased these JS-Asakashi filters for my daily Accord and the quality appears very good. There's a video below of the filter cut open compared to some other known brands.

Not sure where exactly they are produced but the company itself is Japanese AFAIK.

Their 'C807J' appears to have the dimensions of the OEM tall filter.

http://www.js-filter.com/catalogue/filter/28857/C807J

A few pictures of some I ordered. Impressed with the quality of the O-ring and general construction.

53fa6bad4de6da7132cf5a32062d1b54.jpg

6f193d53e0f451176783285c3c01918f.jpg

58944e74fbdaa38732d7ac3e6ee1a1e3.jpg

Also an alternative to the Fram filter some are using as a cabin air filter :)

08905e7397a31f855a1bafc3b37789f4.jpg

The Asakashi is a good filter, its made in Malaysia or Indonesian. The oil flow of the media is almost identical to the Honda OEM short and tall. I did notice in a sample I examined that there was white overspray (of the exterior painting) in the inside of the canister. Made me wonder about quality control. They bypass aperture is significanty smaller too.

Filter MakePart NoCartridge Height (mm)Filter Media H (in)Filter Media W (in)Filter Media Area (sq in)Spring TypeO-Ring Mating Seal Bypass Dia (mm) Bypass Press psid* (relative)
AsakashiC807J1103.12574"231CoilRectangle Flat 10mm 28psid
Honda OEM (Short)15400PL2505802.00"76"152LeafHemispherical 20mm 24psid
Honda OEM (Tall)15400PL20041103.25"77"250LeafHemispherical 20mm 29psid

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I love that @R13 did this video (because I geek out on this stuff), but honestly, just use the current Honda filter and drive. None of us drive our cars enough (except for maybe Richard, Hugh and @mskrotzki) to even get close to clogging the filter media in any of these filters.

JFC - things must be really slow on Prime if we are discussing oil filters . . .

just like old times..

I love that @R13 did this video (because I geek out on this stuff), but honestly, just use the current Honda filter and drive. None of us drive our cars enough (except for maybe Richard, Hugh and @mskrotzki) to even get close to clogging the filter media in any of these filters.
Exactly; and why Ive started changing my oil filter every other year. I do always use a tall canister filter to have a little more oil to the mains at startup.

Don't waste your valuable time watching silly YouTube videos. Just buy these filters and drive your damn cars: https://www.mitamotorsports.com/product/oil-filter/
If you have a take-off, I'm happy to cover shipping if you want t drain it and mail it to me. I'll take all the measurements and add it to the sheet.

Also, regarding the Ultra-8 filters, there are apparently two versions of those. What I'm calling the "hole-y" version and the slotted version (difference in the center tube construction). The former has a notably stiffer bypass spring, but 10sq in less filtration area.
1682284811937.png

Honda also changed the D and B series filters from a larger can (similar to our current one) to a much thinner version noting an improvement in technology led to a smaller canister giving the same filtering and also increasing the oil pressure a little which helped vtec in older engines.

I'd assume they did something similar with the NSX filter and unless you track your cars often the current short OEM is 100% fine.

Honda also changed the D and B series filters from a larger can (similar to our current one) to a much thinner version noting an improvement in technology led to a smaller canister giving the same filtering and also increasing the oil pressure a little which helped vtec in older engines.

I'd assume they did something similar with the NSX filter and unless you track your cars often the current short OEM is 100% fine.
Wow I didn't know that- very interesting info! More oil pressure in VTEC is a good thing. :)

If you have a take-off, I'm happy to cover shipping if you want t drain it and mail it to me. I'll take all the measurements and add it to the sheet.

Also, regarding the Ultra-8 filters, there are apparently two versions of those. What I'm calling the "hole-y" version and the slotted version (difference in the center tube construction). The former has a notably stiffer bypass spring, but 10sq in less filtration area.
View attachment 179963

I think someone posted here awhile back that the Ultra-8 is the same or very similar to the discontinued Denso tall filter.... How was your experience with them?

I think someone posted here awhile back that the Ultra-8 is the same or very similar to the discontinued Denso tall filter.... How was your experience with them?
I've used both the Denso and the T60 that Mita sells. I can report that they both successfully filter the engine oil. LOL.

Wow I didn't know that- very interesting info! More oil pressure in VTEC is a good thing. :)
The forums for the little Honda engines went through the same thing this one is, worrying about oil capacity and a lot of turbo guys run the S2000 filter which is very close in size to the original D/B filter, but everyone else just uses the new part now.

Back