• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The ZDX is dead.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1103064

This didn't take a crystal ball....

Equipped with new features and safety technologies; priced at $50,920*
The innovative and stylish Acura ZDX crossover vehicle, introduced in 2009, will receive numerous styling and technology enhancements for the 2013 model year, which will be the final year on the market for ZDX as the Acura brand sharpens its focus on new models and core products, the company announced today.

The 2013 ZDX will receive several new features, including a redesigned front grille, front and rear parking sensors, power folding side mirrors and safety features such as Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW). The 2013 Acura ZDX will go on sale October 19, 2012, with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $50,920*.

"People shopping for a luxury crossover vehicle will find the Acura ZDX an even more attractive product," said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of the Acura Division. "Moving forward, we will continue to advance the Acura lineup with a focus on new core models, like the recently redesigned RDX and the upcoming all-new RLX flagship sedan, that provide the ideal balance of performance and fuel efficiency that is right for each product and a driving experience that is dynamic and emotional."

The ZDX is built in the same Alliston, Ontario plant as the Acura MDX, which shares the platform with ZDX. As a result, ZDX production will be discontinued in conjunction with the transfer of the popular MDX to the company's Lincoln, Alabama plant in early 2013 (as previously announced).

For 2013, the Acura ZDX will be sold as a single, valued-added package offering clients greater value on a luxury scale. Robust features now standard on the 2013 ZDX include the 435-watt Acura/ELS Surround® 10-speaker audio system with 15 GB hard disk drive (HDD) memory, Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, 8-inch high-resolution VGA display, multi-view rear view camera, Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless telephone interface, ventilated and heated front seats with perforated premium Milano leather seating surfaces, Keyless Access System (with Smart Entry and pushbutton ignition) and dual-zone automatic climate control system.

The ZDX will receive several new exterior features for 2013, such as a redesigned front grille, front and rear bumpers with integrated parking sensors, power-folding auto-dimming side mirrors and a dark accent on the wheels for a sportier finish. The interior receives a new wood trim on the center console and a high contrast interior option.

Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) are two new safety features for the 2013 ZDX. The Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system can detect vehicles ahead of the ZDX. If the FCW system determines that a collision is possible with a detected vehicle, it provides the driver with visual and audio alerts to encourage avoidance actions. Lane Departure Warning (LDW) uses a camera mounted between the windshield and the rear-view mirror to detect lane lines on the road. If the driver begins to drift out of a detected lane without using the turn indicator, the system will provide the driver with visual and audible alerts.

The 2013 ZDX is equipped with an all-aluminum 3.7-liter V-6 engine that develops 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. Performance is further enhanced by the ZDX's Sequential SportShift 6-speed automatic transmission that is designed to satisfy the most discerning enthusiast drivers. The 2013 ZDX EPA city/highway/combined fuel mileage is rated at 16/23/19 mpg**.

For customers seeking a great balance of utility and performance Acura will continue to offer vehicles in the luxury crossover space with the 5-passenger RDX and the TSX Sport Wagon. Acura also will continue to provide ZDX customers with a high-level of service and parts support throughout the life of their vehicles.

U.S. sales of Acura models increased 43.5 percent in September and rose nearly 30 percent to 115,773 units for the first nine-months of 2012, the Acura brand's best nine-month sales results since 2008. The Acura TL sedan, along with the MDX, RDX and TSX Sport Wagon crossover vehicles, have each posted double-digit gains for the year to date, including an 85.7-percent rise in sales of the redesigned RDX and a 25.2-percent gain for the TSX Sport Wagon. The all-new Acura ILX continues to gain momentum, posting its fifth consecutive monthly increase on September sales of 1,737 units.

Acura will debut its all-new 2014 Acura RLX luxury sedan on November 28, 2012, at the Los Angeles International Auto Show. The new Acura flagship sedan will employ an array of new technologies unique to Acura, including the Precision All Wheel Steer™ system, the next-generation AcuraLink® Communication System, and the all-new Jewel Eye™ LED headlamps to deliver an entirely new level of performance, sophistication and comfort.

It's been out since 2010 and is based on the MDX. It's actually a pretty cool car and fun to drive, just not at all practical. IMO it was marketed horribly by Acura. They launched it the same time as the Accord Crosstour. Everyone and their mom thought it was Acura's version of the Crosstour, but twice as much money.

It's been out since 2010 and is based on the MDX. It's actually a pretty cool car and fun to drive, just not at all practical. IMO it was marketed horribly by Acura. They launched it the same time as the Accord Crosstour. Everyone and their mom thought it was Acura's version of the Crosstour, but twice as much money.

I fall into that category of people who thought it was a crosstour. Do you have an info that talks to its MDX roots?

hey white92 since we are on the subject of the zdx..........what is your feeling on the mdx..... are the 2013 updates worth bypassing the 2012 lease deals being offered.

I wonder how many they made. It could be more rare than the nsx.

I don't know how many were made, but here are how many were sold. It was introduced at the end of 2009 as a 2010 model. In 2009, 79 were sold, 2010-3,259. 2011- 1,564. 2012 - 642 so far this year through September.

Also interesting to note RL sales for the same time frame. 2,043 were sold in 2009. 2,037 in 2010. 1,096 in 2011 and 329 sold in 2012 through September.

hey white92 since we are on the subject of the zdx..........what is your feeling on the mdx..... are the 2013 updates worth bypassing the 2012 lease deals being offered.

The 2013 is the exact same as the 2012. The new full redesign should be here in April, so a short run of the 2013.

If you are looking for the cheap lease deal, I would jump on a 2012 while you can. November and December have always been very big months for leasing MDX's due to trust funders and self employed individuals. Year after year, I would lease more MDX's in November (and more so in December) than all 10 months prior.

The 2013 is the exact same as the 2012. The new full redesign should be here in April, so a short run of the 2013.

If you are looking for the cheap lease deal, I would jump on a 2012 while you can. November and December have always been very big months for leasing MDX's due to trust funders and self employed individuals. Year after year, I would lease more MDX's in November (and more so in December) than all 10 months prior.

Didn't lease, but cash purchases on '12s are decent + MDX's have held resale values....

Drove a ZDX as a service loaner recently...worked good for that.

12MDX.jpg

Last edited:
I never understood the concept behind the ZDX. It seemed like an MDX, but smaller, so I never got why anyone would pay $10K more than an MDX for a vehicle which didn't seem to offer good value.

I know that size isn't everything - an NSX is smaller than an MDX too - but an NSX has advantages other than size and is really intended for an entirely different purpose. Whereas a ZDX, not so much, AFAICT.

BMW got it right with the X6. Every time I see one I want it:
BMW_X6_Heck.jpg

I never understood the concept behind the ZDX. It seemed like an MDX, but smaller, so I never got why anyone would pay $10K more than an MDX for a vehicle which didn't seem to offer good value.

I know that size isn't everything - an NSX is smaller than an MDX too - but an NSX has advantages other than size and is really intended for an entirely different purpose. Whereas a ZDX, not so much, AFAICT.

Say you are driving down a road at 60 MPH and lightning strikes a tree and it begins to fall. As you floor it to try to outrun the falling tree, if you were in a ZDX you can clearly see that the back end would just end up clearing the falling tree. The MDX would get clipped, possibly killing you and everyone else in the car. CLEARLY worth the additional $10K, if not more! :smile:

ZDXMDX_zpsd3361829.jpg

Plus you could look up and see the tree coming because the whole roof is glass.

I saw a ZDX in my rear view once, it was very wide... pretty cool in person

Tested one out at the dealer when they first hit the showrooms.

Although I didn't really like the swept back hatchback coupe (sorry, don't like the X6 either) exterior I did think that the interior looked quite upscale with the stitched leather dash. The one I sat in had the reddish brown leather interior which was quite eye-catching.

Still, it left me wondering why anyone would want to buy one when basically you are losing the UTILITY aspect of the SUV.

A chunky raised hatchback sport sedan just isn't my cup of tea.

Reminds me of the AMC Eagle...
1981AMCEagleWagon.jpg

have to agree with you. my wife loves that car as well.

i do think that it donesthave hte best value tho it is one of the most aggressive and pimp looking suvs on the market.

BMW got it right with the X6. Every time I see one I want it:
BMW_X6_Heck.jpg

Just to clarify the Crosstour and ZDX are based on the Accord not the MDX. Which due to its added height of the ZDX would make the tree falling scenario worse in a ZDX versus an Accord. :wink:

Hmmm

ZDX rides on the MDX platform, using the same powertrain and architecture under a completely new skin.
http://suvs.about.com/od/acur1/fr/10_AcuraZDXjf.htm

...we once again see that the Acura ZDX shares nothing whatsoever with its similar-looking crossover-hatchback cousin, the Honda Accord Crosstour...

... The ZDX instead borrows from the Honda Pilot SUV, and as such its multilink setup uses a trailing arm (yellow), a pair of lower links (white and orange), and a single upper camber link (green)...

...So, there you have it. Even though it looks like a badge-engineered brother to the Crosstour, the 2010 Acura ZDX is another animal entirely
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/05/2010-acura-zdx-suspension-walkaround.html

As X6 does with X5, ZDX shares its platform and powertrain with sibling MDX, using its 300-horsepower 3.7-liter V6 and 6-speed automatic transmission.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/first-spin-2010-acura-zdx.htm

Built on the same platform as the much larger MDX SUV, the ZDX has high ground clearance and a short, sleek body. This is in stark contrast to the similarly shaped X6, which was built on a car platform. By comparison of the underpinnings alone, the ZDX is more rugged and capable than its competitors.
http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-reviews/157270/2012-acura-zdx-new-car-review.jsp

Despite the visual similarity, the Accord Crosstour is not closely mechanically related to the Acura ZDX, which is based on the Acura MDX platform.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Accord_(North_America_eighth_generation)

Tested one out at the dealer when they first hit the showrooms.

Although I didn't really like the swept back hatchback coupe (sorry, don't like the X6 either) exterior I did think that the interior looked quite upscale with the stitched leather dash. The one I sat in had the reddish brown leather interior which was quite eye-catching.

Still, it left me wondering why anyone would want to buy one when basically you are losing the UTILITY aspect of the SUV.

A chunky raised hatchback sport sedan just isn't my cup of tea.

Reminds me of the AMC Eagle...
1981AMCEagleWagon.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me at how HIGH this car sits off the ground. Looks ridiculous.

Tons of Links

Acura does use the same drive train in both the MDX and ZDX which I knew. The links I posted say it is Accord based which seam logical but maybe their is a higher % of MDX parts if you count the drive train. Since I own a current gen MDX the ZDX is now more appealing to me if they are closely related as I enjoy the MDX very much. However, I am not sure I would pick up a ZDX over an AWD TL since I already own the MDX. Not sure where it fits, which is no doubt why it is being killed off.

Back