• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Thinking about a Ridgeline

Re: Banned from an internet car lot?

Allright, allright. I'll admit it, I was wrong in responding the way I did. But I wasn't an ass, first. I wasn't brow beating this guy or anything. All I did was make him an offer and ask that he let me know if his other buyer fell through.
And he responds with "You must think I am lying!!! good luck to you !!!! Please do not email again on this truck", like I had already abused him or had sent excessive e-mails, or something. I had not been rude, obnoxious, or abusive up to this point. I was simply inquiring about an automobile that he had for sale. His website said "Make us an offer!" Truth be known, 29,800 is a helluva deal on this vehicle. But, I'm not going to tell him that at 5:00, when I know no one can get to the car before I can in the morning, and I felt certain he was bluffing on his other buyer.

Man, if I dissappoint you all with that, I bet you'd crap all over yourself if you knew me.

It's obvious the seller didn't want to deal with you with your offer. He asked you not to email him again. Nothing wrong with that. No reason to get upset about it. Just keep looking, but do expect more dealership to say "no" to your price. take care.

vtec888 said:
Just keep looking, but do expect more dealership to say "no" to your price. take care.

Thanks VTEC, but if they don't say "no", then I offered too much.

Everybody wants a good deal...show me a house for 1 mil that used to be worth 2 mil hehehe. You should stick with your price....who knows...some dealer will bite and sell it to you for that price. When it's a hot car, it's harder to negoitiate. If you're not going to buy it, then they're confident someone else will be willing to pay for their price.

Also, I heard it's a good idea to shop around the end of the month as they need to meet their sales quotas.

Again, good luck.

2Dobes said:
Thanks VTEC, but if they don't say "no", then I offered too much.

LOL, I think the guy is letting you off easy. After your August 02, 2005 4:43 PM e-mail, I would have tortured you for quite some time. :biggrin:

Cairo94507 said:
I am very disappointed by the name calling and language used by our member. Absolutely uncalled for.

Yeah, he is a f'ing d*ckhead in my book too! :biggrin: :wink: J/K!

You cant expect a screamin deal on a high profile newly offered vehicle, some dealers have waiting lists for that truck and swearing at a salesperson isnt going to make the deal any sweeter..I have negotiated meny car deals and worked at 4 dealers, I learned long ago that the best tool you have is to make them believe they will loose the sale if they don't keep negotiating with you, obviously that dealer didnt want your 28.500, It looks as tho that made you angry then you became abusive, all 4 dealers I worked at would have tossed you off the lot if you acted that way on thier lots..Good luck finding your truck at the price you want to pay.

zahntech said:
You cant expect a screamin deal on a high profile newly offered vehicle, some dealers have waiting lists for that truck and swearing at a salesperson isnt going to make the deal any sweeter..I have negotiated meny car deals and worked at 4 dealers, I learned long ago that the best tool you have is to make them believe they will loose the sale if they don't keep negotiating with you, obviously that dealer didnt want your 28.500, It looks as tho that made you angry then you became abusive, all 4 dealers I worked at would have tossed you off the lot if you acted that way on thier lots..Good luck finding your truck at the price you want to pay.

i agree with the majority. cars are not investments. most loose their ass in 2 years, so what really is a good deal? All the name calling was not called for. Car salesmen gotta eat too. Good luck with your ridgeline purchase.

zahntech said:

I see a lot of conflicting info on the Ridgeline. Some people say it's a hot item, but my local dealers all have 3-10 on the lot, and the numbers are about 1/2 of what Honda wanted to sell (they are averaging about 3500 a month).

Shumdit said:
I see a lot of conflicting info on the Ridgeline. Some people say it's a hot item, but my local dealers all have 3-10 on the lot, and the numbers are about 1/2 of what Honda wanted to sell (they are averaging about 3500 a month).

It is far from a "screaming hot model".

Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint; high prices pegged as main problem
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
Posted Date: 8/1/05
The Honda Ridgeline has a price problem.

The innovative V-6 pickup costs about $10,000 more than other compact trucks in the United States. And that is hurting sales, says Koichi Kondo, president of American Honda Motor Co.

He says Honda could put incentives on it if sales continue to disappoint, but it won't do so immediately. Honda typically uses cut-rate financing, subsidized leases and dealer cash to boost sales.

"We will take measures if needed," Kondo said at a press event in Tokyo two weeks ago.

Honda broke ground with the Ridgeline by creating it from the Odyssey minivan platform. Engineers welded a frame to the Odyssey's unibody.

Honda marketers have said it will appeal to upscale customers who own other Honda vehicles, motorcycles and power equipment.

It's difficult to get an exact read on the Ridgeline's popularity because it only went on sale in March. Honda sold 3,585 Ridgelines in June. Kondo said the goal is to sell 50,000 a year.

According to Power Information Network data, the Ridgeline's average transaction price in July was $31,602, nearly $10,000 more than the average price of other compact trucks. The Power Information Network is an affiliate of J.D. Power and Associates.

Honda executives in America acknowledge the higher price but say the Ridgeline provides more features, such as standard all-wheel drive, a comfortable ride and a lockable trunk built into the cargo bed.

Jim Roland, general sales manager of Heritage Honda in Baltimore, says: "It's a lovely vehicle. I think it's a tad overpriced. It's more or less priced up with the bigger trucks, but it's a small vehicle."

Although incentives could spur sales, Roland doesn't want to see Honda employ the tactic. He favors a more drastic approach: "I feel that they ought to drop the price - period."

Shumdit said:
(they are averaging about 3500 a month).

I thought there initial sales quota numbers were kind of high to begin with. Selling 3500 a month is not spectacular, but that is almost 2X what the RL is selling. I don't think it is selling like hotcakes, but I do think it is selling well.

mystican said:
I have 2004 Nissan Titan...phenomenal performance and tows 9400 lbs...that would be TWO NSXs!!! Enough said!!!!

Actually, it's only 92lbs. short of 3 NSX's. But, I just got rid of a moded King Ranch F250 4x4 diesel and that's not what I'm looking for out of this vehicle. It's just going to be a grocery getter. Something I can drive in inclimate weather or to places where I wouldn't want to drive my others. I like driving stuff that everyone else isn't driving either and this seems to fit the bill... I am in Houston and I'll bet I haven't seen 3 of them on the road.

Interesting comments...

I'm not sure how this is $10k more than other compact pickups. I haven't seen another "compact" (I assume this to mean Ranger, Tacoma, Dakota, Frontier) truck with leather, sunroof, power everything, transmission and P/S coolers, composite bedliner(so you don't have to have your brand new truck sanded and rhino lined), satellite radio, an aux input, tons of room for 4 adults, the coolest voice activated Navigation system, 4 wheel drive, and can still pull 5k lbs for $32k. I would have looked at the competitor if there was one. We were actually looking at the Porsche Cayanne and just went to "check out" the Ridgeline and ended up buying it. We love it...

Dobes, you just got rid of a Ford 250 king Ranch? That is the sweetest truck on the road! I guess it is a bit overkill for grocery duty but I still love the way they look and sound.

I just came home with my new Ridgeline, and man is it ever sweet. You MUST, I repeat, you MUST drive this truck to appreciate it.
It's silver w/ leather, roof, and nav. The dealer installed chrome 22" wheels on it.
Post pics tomorrow.

Re: Thinking about a Ridgeline (Updated!)

2Dobes said:
I am thinking about getting a Ridgeline. I know there's no shortage of opinions here, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight / experience w/ the Ridgeline?
there have been reports of rain leaks. i would wait until next year.

Edwardo said:
Dobes, you just got rid of a Ford 250 king Ranch? That is the sweetest truck on the road! I guess it is a bit overkill for grocery duty but I still love the way they look and sound.

Yes, it's gone and I really liked it, but at nearly $100 per fill-up it became too much to handle. I'd go in the store and say "$96.00 on pump 5" and people would turn around and say "I'm glad I'm not driving that thing".

Brad,

You were being a tool!!! I know Tyger Lucas, the owner, and your words to him were certainly very harsh. Is that how you deal with all car salesman? If so, who would want to sell you a car????

nuccaJB said:
I thought this truck was ugly at first, but about two days ago I saw a clean black one and it looked sweet!
Personally, I don't care for it... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

Back