• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking about resurrecting S.A.W.

For those who don't know what S.A.W. means, it stands for sushi after work.
Back in 2006, this was a Thursday event that happened frequently. The main reason it worked was we had a member who worked at Zake and it was located in a reasonably centralized location and was relatively cheap (well, cheap by sushi standards).

I am proposing that we start doing this again so that we can get the locals to meet up more often. I am also proposing that it be held on Thursdays

Here is what I would like to hear from you guys:

1. Is this something you would be interested in? and if so, how frequent should the meets be (once a week, once a month...etc)?

2. What places do you know of that is somewhat central to Houston and offers a happy hour type pricing and isn't crap food?

Thanks guys
Please add your opinions like this:

1. Yes, bi-weekly works for me

2. I do have a place in mind that is located off westheimer. They have a reverse happy hour so I am not sure if that's too late for you guys. The name slips my mind right now but I can find it and edit this post later.

Bi weekly works for me. I am not into sushi or seafood at all but I will go wherever and be ok. No place suggestions now but something off 59 inside the loop works great for me. I would say twin peaks for my vote but parking is a problem. Hooters is right there on Kirby too... That would be good too. :)

keep the comments coming and let's see if we can come to a consensus.

aamir,
we aren't married to the idea of sushi only. i was only mentioning it cuz that's what we used to do. pretty much, this is a regular happy hour get together but with an acronym.

Great idea Matt! I'm definitely in. But I do prefer Fridays.

What ever happened to Jeremy? I heard he got a Gallardo and then forgot all about us... :eek: :smile:

Regardless, I'm in for sushi or even Benji's. Washington/Westheimer are prime spots that I think are central enough for most.

- Z

i'm down for when ever and where ever. I'm out in the boonie so it'll be a long drive for me where ever I go lol

also kubo's have happy hour for sake and beer from 5-close (11pm). sushi are cheap too.

Last edited:
i'm down for when ever and where ever. I'm out in the boonie so it'll be a long drive for me where ever I go lol

also kubo's have happy hour for sake and beer from 5-close (11pm). sushi are cheap too.

Kubo's has my vote. More important than anything else is the parking situation. Kubo's has a validated garage.

Sounds like a good idea Matt. Im down for bi-weekly or monthly happy hour meet. Anything close to a reverse happy hour might be a bit too late for me as I have league bowling on thursday nights.

Kubo's has my vote. More important than anything else is the parking situation. Kubo's has a validated garage.

Where is Kubo's?

EDIT: I googled it.....Rice U seem like a good spot. I'm game.

Last edited:
Bi-weekly or monthly works for me but if the event were weekly it would lend more flexsibility to everyone's schedule to make it when they could and skip it when they can't. So from that aspect, I'd say weekly would be more user friendly. I personally do not eat any kind of seafood but I can find a drink pretty much anywhere....LOL!!

Also, roof of the garage is usually dead. Good place for us to park our cars and hang out.

Kevin, you had me at free parking....^ is just icing on the cake! :biggrin:

took my gf to kubo last night.

Large sake is 2.75- beers are 1.25- 1.50.

special rolls start at 5.99-6.99 during happy hour.
normal rolls start at 2.99-4.99

overall, there should be plenty of parking spots for us.

I'm down! School is coming to an end for me so I should be able to make it out.

Thursdays work better for me.

Sushi sounds good, but I am down for what ever.

AKA sushi is 2 blocks down from Zake, and I know the bar tender there and the owner. I MIGHT be able to get a deeper discount on the drinks.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Rahim

Please post once you hear back about AKA.

So, the 3 places on the radar right now are AKA, Kubo and Twin Peaks.
I'd like to get the ball rolling and the first S.A.W. is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, April 26. Will start a new thread once it's settled.

ra sushi does have hh but its always packed and people dont wanna leave, i wish i can make to one of these but i work friday really early

Back