• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

thinking of buying 99 911, opinions from previous/current owners only please :)

I know its not NSX but what are your overall opinions of the car if you had one. Not tt or any other years. Only looking at 996 99 right now. Did you like yours, hate it, pig, not enough hp, etc. Any input from previous or current owners would be highly appreciated :)

Its a fine car as long as you have the IMS retro fit kit installed and replace the RMS while you're at it. These two things are required to enjoy ownership. Otherwise you'll be worried about when (not if) your engine will fall apart.

Its a fine car as long as you have the IMS retro fit kit installed and replace the RMS while you're at it. These two things are required to enjoy ownership. Otherwise you'll be worried about when (not if) your engine will fall apart.
thank you sounds about right from what I heard.

I just sold my C4S and bought another NSX, there is no comparison to the enjoyment I get from driving the NSX. The Porsche just doesn't have that aura that the NSX has.

Fantastic, I am about to do the same this saturday.

The 996 911 is a pretty fantastic car - I'd keep it if I weren't haunted by regret of selling my NSX every night (waking up in cold sweats and the like). It's reliable, comfortable, great feel for the road with excellent feedback and response from the steering wheel. It looks great, but not so crazy that you can't take it to pick up groceries in a shady town without worrying about carjacking (this is esp. true of the 996s I feel like). The one thing it did better in spades than my 91 NSX though, was the stock exhaust note. bone stock, that flat6 is glorious. I love the mechanical sound, I love the way it linearly and effortlessly revs like butter, and it sounds amazing when engaging the clutch in 1st and taking off from a stop. Not sure how an NSX with headers and exhaust compares (i'll find out this saturday though!)

With that said, I'm selling my 996 C4S. The biggest thing I could say is that it is too comfortable with its upright seating position and (relative to the NSX) plush seats. Unless I'm pushing it hard and driving it with the windows down and sunroof open, I sometimes forget I'm in a sports car - I think this is both a strength and weakness of a non-turbo/GT* 911.

Also, like d1 guy said, set aside about $4k and do the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and LN Engineering IMS retrofit as soon as possible. I bought my C4S at 64k miles, and had it done immediately. My porsche mechanic inspected the stock IMS bearing, and despite perfect crankshaft alignment, the IMS seals had broken and oil had already gotten inside the sealed bearings and was beginning to wash out the grease.

These flat6s are *expensive* to rebuild or replace, so it's a small price to pay for peace of mind!

Also, if you're getting a '99, don't get a cabriolet. They flex, creak, and rattle like CRAZY! (I had a '99 C2 911 cab back in 2008). Tons of fun to drive but it does feel like you're on a wobbly sheet of metal imo..

Last edited:
If funds allow, try to get into a 997. Yes they too had IMS issues but the 997 headlamps are far sexier IMO. A friend recently acquired a 30,000 mile 2007/1 attorney owner. Ruf of Dallas did the PPI and gave the car their blessing. All for $36,000. You could say he got the bargain of the year. Car is literally showroom clean.

I have a '99 996 cabriolet prior to my NSX. They are nice cars and fun to drive, but in my opinion, no comparison to the NSX. They are much more expensive to repair and you will have more mechanical problems in the 996 compared to the NSX (assuming you purchase cars which were taken care of). I spent thousands on repairing 2nd gear and the cabriolet top. If you purchase one, the first thing I would do is get all the drainage areas cleaned and make sure they are draining properly. A common problem is water under the seat which will fry the computer. Good luck with the purchase.

I had a 2000 996 absolutely pampered one with 45000 miles. It seemed to be as fast as the NSX but didn't own them at the same time. I had no issues with it during owning it over a year (bought for wife she didn't like driving stick enough). I found the seats to be uncomfortable on the two road trips we took. Driving it reminded me of the NSX somewhat but not as 'special'. Maybe because I was never a huge fan of the look and styling on the interior.
It won't get the looks or attention the NSX would get. People don't see them as anything special so its a car (996) the owner has to really enjoy.

Like others said. Make sure the IMS/RMS has been addressed. Any responsible owner would have had it done it themselves so they're more likely to have taken care of the car all around.

Here's a good buying inspection thread.
http://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html

If funds allow, try to get into a 997. Yes they too had IMS issues but the 997 headlamps are far sexier IMO. A friend recently acquired a 30,000 mile 2007/1 attorney owner. Ruf of Dallas did the PPI and gave the car their blessing. All for $36,000. You could say he got the bargain of the year. Car is literally showroom clean.

I know you are not interested in other years but I would say +1 to the above. The only 996 I would buy is a TT as the boxter lights are a deal breaker in the looks department. I have a 997 which I am sure drives similarly to a 996. Driving the 911 back to back with the NSX shows they are not very similar. Driving position in the 911 is more upright and daily driver focused versus the sporty feel of the NSX. This is one of the main reasons the 911 does not feel as special when driving it and you can forget you are in a sports car at times. I never forget I am driving a sports car when in the NSX. You did not say what the intended purpose of the car is. If it is to keep in the garage only to take out on weekends for spirited drives than you might be underwhelmed with the 996 as it lacks any theater.

Once considered ugly and a misstep for Porsche, I look back at the 99 996 and see a beauty. Understated styling compared to later 911's but that's good imo. Clean lines. My 99 was very reliable, loved it.

First of all, I don't own a 911.

Ok, now for what I''ve heard. The 996 is as fun and reliable as most other 911's, but is a better deal than the 993's or 997's. Among 911 purists the 996 is a lower value car due to the 'Boxster" like headlights, the purists prefer the single round headlight over the 'kidney' shaped headlight. Not saying the 996 is a 'lesser' 911 but it is too much in common to it's little brother. That is also the reason the 997 has gone back to the single round headlight.

So..buy one and do the slant nose 'pop-up' kit that was popular in the 80's - LOL

But Seriously, just get one and enjoy it.

One more thing to chime in -

What everyone says about the headlights / parts sharing with the boxster making these cars less "desireable", is true. So, if you don't care about that, it can be a big bonus as you can get a 911 cheap this way - I've driven a 997.1 and a 996 back to back and with my eyes closed (not that I'd drive with my eyes closed but you know what I mean), they feel 99% identical.

With that said, if the headlights bother you, spring for an 02+ as they got some headlights to differentiate from the boxster, though I can't fathom why they went with the teardrop shape instead of just going round.

But, my 2 cents - especially the C4S and TT, still have true 911 lines and whatever is detracted by the headlights, are made up for by the bumpers and wheels imo!

If you still want to stand out a bit, go for the C4S, which gives you the turbo front/rear bumper, wheels, suspension, and brakes. Or, just get a 996 Turbo and bypass the IMS issues alltogether :)

6cc14bc387ff-1.jpg
0621f8220230.jpg

I actually prefer the 996 MK1 headlights (if they're the all-clear ones) over the MK2 headlights because it's a cleaner shape. And of course, this:
4504951863_276477f1fb_o.jpg

One more thing to chime in -

What everyone says about the headlights / parts sharing with the boxster making these cars less "desireable", is true. So, if you don't care about that, it can be a big bonus as you can get a 911 cheap this way - I've driven a 997.1 and a 996 back to back and with my eyes closed (not that I'd drive with my eyes closed but you know what I mean), they feel 99% identical.

With that said, if the headlights bother you, spring for an 02+ as they got some headlights to differentiate from the boxster, though I can't fathom why they went with the teardrop shape instead of just going round.

But, my 2 cents - especially the C4S and TT, still have true 911 lines and whatever is detracted by the headlights, are made up for by the bumpers and wheels imo!

If you still want to stand out a bit, go for the C4S, which gives you the turbo front/rear bumper, wheels, suspension, and brakes. Or, just get a 996 Turbo and bypass the IMS issues alltogether :)

View attachment 131036
View attachment 131037

Thats good advice. C4S is AWD and does have the "widebody" turbo look.

Currently own a 04 Cab Carrera. IMO driving my base model Porsche leaves me lacking, want more, how ever when I drop the top, press the accelerator, it transforms to another car. and in most part, fun and reliable. there's no comparison, except on the track, they're both of completely different feeling and that's a good thing in my books.
please keep us posted if or when you pull the Porsche trigger.

I never had a real problem with my 2001. The IMS is a big deal and also keeping behind the radiators clean, can cause overheating. As also mentioned make sure the drain lines are all unclogged or you will have a wet floor. The best thing I did was spend like 160 bucks on ebay straight pipes. The car sounded fantastic and no real drone in the cabin. Was loud on the outside but really had a beautiful flat six growl.

I understand IMS issue is a small percentage but failure is catastrophic. If it fails, replacing the engine is the fix.:frown: This is what I hear anyway.

I was quoted once, by a independent Porsche mechanic, less than $1000 to replace the defective part that leads to failure. I believe the part was less than 200 bucks at Pelican Parts. So, if you want peace of mind, have the preventive procedures completed ASAP, if not completed by prior owner.

Yes, I stayed up many a night researching IMS issues.

the '99s actually have a very very low failure rate - they used the dual row bearing.

I forget what year but mid '00 and on up to '05 (this includes the 997.1) they went back to a single row. My porsche mechanic actually told me IMS failures are really rare and are not as bad as the internet would have you believe - but once I told him I had an 04, he said they are the worst years and that he'd prefer to get it fixed. I think loose estimates seem to be around an 8% failure rate for the single row bearings, whereas the dual rows in the '99 were <3% or so?

My porsche mechanic's theory is that it has mostly to do with the crankshaft alignment - when its out of spec it puts undue stress on the bearing as well as the RMS (leaking rms being another common culprit that goes hand in hand with a failing IMS). The dual rows are better built to handle this stress, but a single row will wear out quickly, chew through its seals, and lose its internal bearing grease causing it to eventually seize and grenade the motor.

Either way - LN engineering makes a kit called the "single row pro retrofit" which converts the single row into a dual row, with open bearings allowing engine oil to lubricate it, rather than relying on sealed bearing grease. Highly recommended if you have an '01-'05.

Another piece of info - the 997.1 2005's have the same single row failure-prone IMS, but due to the design of the motor you cannot get to it easily after removing the clutch and flywheel. You have to split the crankcase open. So, I'd avoid the '05s if possible.

fwiw, I had my IMS bearing removed to be retrofitted with LN engineer's solution, and oil had gotten into the bearings and was starting to slowly wash out at 67k miles. (It's a sealed greased bearing, LN engineering changes this to an open ceramic bearing that uses the engine oil as lubrication).

Lots of info, but tl;dr is to just replace the IMS bearing and get the clutch and RMS done at the same time if you buy a used 996 911 - set aside about $3k for it and you should be golden.

Last edited:
Back