• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

This is not an NSX vs S2000 thread (per say)

So I've had my NSX for a little over 5 years and have loved every second of it. I take care of it well, gets waxed regularly, properly maintained etc. I love the feeling when I'm driving it its like no other car I have ever owned. Here is my dilemma:

I autocross a lot (every 2 weeks pretty much) and do see the occasional track as well. It doesn't get driven much on the street now that I have a proper daily driver. Recently my clutch went and up here in the good old north with labour and parts its costing me $2500 CDN or so to replace the clutch. Now I'm not complaining about the cost per say as I knew the clutch and the timing belt are pricey affairs but it got me thinking from an economical perspective of whether or not I am better off in an S2000.

The S2000 would be cheaper to maintain, cheaper to upgrade, and I can flog it around the track/auto-x all day and probably still have loads of fun, all for a cheaper price. I know most everybody on the site will say the NSX is the better car, and I am in total agreement, but do you really believe the fun quotient would go down that much with an S2000? (I have driven them, even owned one for a few days when I was young and proceeded to wreck it, so we have unfinished business). Is the added expense of an NSX worth it for my purposes? I really don't care about the exclusivity part of NSX ownership, nor do I care for the attention I get from it, I bought the NSX because I wanted it for what it does for me, not what it does for others.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this here as in the end it is my choice, but Prime members are an intelligent bunch, so opinions are greatly appreciated. Again, I am not arguing that the S2000 is a comparable car to the NSX (it isn't), I'm thinking (out loud) if the S2000 would serve the above purpose better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY <--- this video makes me believe the s2000 is a very capable track car.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the NSX is a better car. I think NSX owners are biased, {as they should be:wink:}. I think both have their place in the world. If your minds made up then sounds like you've done your homework. Enjoy the S2000 and come back when your ready. Hell, you only live once.:biggrin:

NSX if you run at the track, S2000 for autocross. My $.02.

There's a reason that you see so many S2000s at the track, that's because they're incredible track cars. You can purchase them for cheap, there is plenty of aftermarket support for them, and a big crowd that tracks their cars.

One of the Buttonwillow events I attended had about 40 S2000s in attendance.

5719360700_2fb3b18bd1_b.jpg

I wouldn't say the NSX is a better car. I think NSX owners are biased, {as they should be:wink:}. I think both have their place in the world. If your minds made up then sounds like you've done your homework. Enjoy the S2000 and come back when your ready. Hell, you only live once.:biggrin:

Thanks for your opinion! The problem is my mind is not entirely made up, the awesomeness of the NSX makes it hard to do that. I autocross/track for fun, I'm not trying to set any lap records or anything so the fun quotient matters and if I can have the same amount of fun in an s2000 then the level headed side of me says why not have that fun at a cheaper cost?

Phryxis: I agree, I see so many of them at both the track events and the auto-x events I go to, there must be a reason!

Last edited:
Ive owned 2 S2000s in the past 7 years. Both supercharged. I dont track nor race, just spirited driving. S2000s are definitely more fun to drive than the NSX, tho Ive only owned the X for not even a week yet. But the ability to toss the S2000 around is much easier than the NSX. NSX is more solid and has a heavier feel. Kinda sounds like your mind is made up already. Just go with the S and like davidf said, come back when you're ready. If track is your lifestyle, myou may never come back. :)

I considered the FRS/BRZ twins, but the s2000 still has that special feel for me that is lacking in the BRZ/FRS, although they are amazing cars, its just a gut feeling thing. PLUS VTEC YO! (just kidding).

Also I don't want a warranty because part of the allure of the s2K (if I go ahead with this) would be modding it to my heart's content :)

Last edited:
I considered the FRS/BRZ twins, but the s2000 still has that special feel for me that is lacking in the BRZ/FRS, although they are amazing cars, its just a gut feeling thing. PLUS VTEC YO! (just kidding).

Also I don't want a warranty because part of the allure of the s2K (if I go ahead with this) would be modding it to my heart's content :)

- - - Updated - - -

I autocross and track (but heavy focus on auto-x) would you still go s2000?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzcZ8YY <--- this video makes me believe its a very capable track car.
Agree with you in your BRZ vs. S2000 assessment. I'm daily driving my BRZ so there are more issues to consider being that it's an easier car to live with everyday. I considered a S2000 but having owned one before.. I remembered many many things on why I hated to "live" with it. One being.. I'm a decently big guy. I never found a comfortable seating position. The other issue you might encounter is finding a clean unmolested S2k. They are hard to come by last I looked.

Good luck! If not a daily i'd probably go S2000 also.

- - - Updated - - -

Add a rear wing on the S2000 = VERY capable track car.

I have both,
As a driver,
You get in an NSX
You put on an S2000

(my wife thinks of the S2000 as an outfit) seriously! She has a Blue Leather Biker Jacket to match the leather seats. Good down to just above freezing with the top down.

Last edited:
I have both and I prefer the S2000. It's less hassle.
No one bugs me zooming up and doing silly stuff, trying to challenge me when I'm in my S2000. No one playing games posing or taking pics when you come out to the parking lot. No one making nasty comments about how "it's slow" or "they're cheap now, is that why you have it?".

The worst is driving my NSX and having young good looking girls speed up to see who the driver is and then making a a face like she's gonna puke when she sees it's me, some "old guy".

None of that in the S2000. Just the occasional polite, appreciative nod that says "yeah, I get it".

When the top is down the S2000 is a instant vacation.

As for handling and pure driving fun it never disappoints. Urehara got this car RIGHT.

The NSX impresses many people and gets comments but the S2000 is for me. The fun that car gives is my little secret, that I share with the twisty back roads of the Catskill mountains.

My new S2000 plate: GDZILLAH :biggrin::biggrin: I love it.

Last edited:
I really didn't expect so much appreciation for the s2000 here on an nsx forum. You guys are making the choice easier I think I am leaning towards the s2000 more and more. Still can't say 100% yet though!

You can't go wrong with either car ~ would I rather have a 458 Italia or 430 Scuderia :) Both are nice cars but in the end it's your checkbook.

I can count at least 5 PRIME members not including myself who has both cars. We actually have three s2000's so I might be a bit biased but s2000 > NSX for a daily driver and track car. The NSX to me is the single child princess that gets spoiled. The s2000 is the middle child that sometimes gets forgotten but still great!

We have 2 NSX's and a S2000, both are excellent even benchmark cars for their categories.......so really hard to lose with either.
For your stated purposes, it sounds like the edge goes to the S2000.

S2000 by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Brian

If you can only own one car then the stook would suite you best.The nsx is not as competative in class(scca auto x) as s2k.

Last edited:
S2000s are not allowed to run at some of the DE events that I have attended without modified roll protection. That should be a consideration too.

But value, fun, autocross capability, cost of ownership, etc... all end up in the favour of the S2000 (IMO, owned one for 2yrs prior to my 02'NSX).

Once you include value in the mix for the NSX, it is cooked. They're only worth what they are because there are not many of them around.

That said, Id stick with the NSX if it were my decision, or I would find $10k-$15k for an older S2000 and have both. I wouldnt sell the NSX for an S2000 unless you want to free up some cash because it will be really hard for you to get back into an NSX if you think it was a mistake, and S2000s are easy to acquire whenever you want.

Last edited:
I remember when the S2000 first came out. I was standing on the showroom floor at the local Honda dealership looking at one. The dealer comes up and in a confidential tone says, “Stay away from the S2000. They are pieces of cr@p.”
And so being young and impressionable I took him at his word and didn’t pay any attention to that model again for years.
Man, I hate that guy now.
(Sorry to derail the thread but I just remembered this.)

I remember when the S2000 first came out. I was standing on the showroom floor at the local Honda dealership looking at one. The dealer comes up and in a confidential tone says, “Stay away from the S2000. They are pieces of cr@p.”
And so being young and impressionable I took him at his word and didn’t pay any attention to that model again for years.
Man, I hate that guy now.
(Sorry to derail the thread but I just remembered this.)

You actually believed a salesperson? :)

P.S. It's very hard to find fault for the s2000 ~ unless you have a toddler and need to fit a baby seat! We love all of ours and I can say we've owned EVERY color except Suzuka Blue:

Pic with my 1st pair: Rio and Silverstone:

Long ago I was crossed between a new 2004 S2000 or a used NSX, I went with the S2000. I drove it for a few years then "upgraded" to the big brother. It's a very fun car and I wish I could own both. If I ever get a chance to get another S2000 I would go with the AP1 and the 9000 RPM redline :D

full.jpg

What years were the best for the S2000s. Like for example everyone knows the 91 was the best year for the NSX. :smile:

Former 03 S2K owner here. I auto crossed mine, went on a serious road rally, did bolt ons and even threw nitrous on it. The car was a blast! For a autocross/track car I would choose the S2000 solely because of price of the car and parts. For a street car hand down I would choose the NSX. S2000 rear ends are not the strongest and the gear box can also be a weakness if the previous owner was a power shifter. Another thing to look out for especially with the Ap1's that rev to 9k rpms is oil consumption. My car used to eat oil like crazy due to always being in the higher rpms.

Back