• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

This is not an NSX vs S2000 thread (per say)

Good to know. I'm now debating between the AP1 and AP2. I think I'd want the 9K rpm redline just for the sheer fun of it but prefer the AP2 styling. Talk about first world problems....

S4play since you owned so many were you able to flavor both the AP1 and AP2? Impressions?

Good to know. I'm now debating between the AP1 and AP2. I think I'd want the 9K rpm redline just for the sheer fun of it but prefer the AP2 styling. Talk about first world problems....

S4play since you owned so many were you able to flavor both the AP1 and AP2? Impressions?

Oh I forgot to note BEFORE those pair of AP2's, my very first car was a 2001 Spa and since then I've had a few AP1's so here my breakdown:

AP1:
- More Raw / Harsh feeling
- Tranny and Clutch feel a bit harder and grabs harder (resulting in broken tranny from people who shifted too hard, in later AP2's this is why Honda put in clutch damper)
- Seats feel more firm and have the hole for the helmet head (changed after 2005)
- Don't like the interior, headlights as much and watch out for pre-2002 plastic rear window
- Known tranny "buzz" issue is common
- No speakers in roll hoop
- Interior is not as modern
- Ugly rear tails (IMO)

AP2
- Facelifted Interior/Exterior
- Traction control in 2006+
- TPMS in 2008+
- More civil around town and a bit more comfortable
- More torque in the larger motor
- Pinched soft top rip issue on passenger side from burrs left during production
- Softer leather seats
- V2 wheels came on 2004-2007 cars
- V3 wheels came on 2008+ cars
- Last year 2009 is most coveted model for rarity
- If you plan to install aftermarket seats, buy a 2004/2005 model, in 06 they changed the passenger seat rails and it's a PITA
- 06+ has the advantage of being able to tune/flash the ECU using the Hondata Flashpro, prior years you need the AEM EMS to tune

Neat facts about NSX/s2000
- Both cars share the exact same bolt and hubcentric sizing (70.1, 64.0)
- Spare tires are interchangeable
- Aftermarket seats will fit both cars just need different rails
- s2000 projector is higher quality than the 2002+ NSX headlamp

Snapshot of my baby that started it all:

This is all I can think of right now off the top of my head :) Feel free to ask

Last edited:
I always thought your name (S4play) was because sometime in your past you owned an Audi S4 but since your first car was an S2000 with that plate already I guess not.

Which model would be best for adding a CTSC?

I used to have an AP1 and I agree on it being "Raw/Harsh".
Tons of noises from everything (suspension, transmission, engine), fairly hard suspension, and a very small interior. But man when you revved it to 9000 rpm, none of that mattered.

The low end was very lackluster as well, but pop in some 4.56 or 4.77 gears, and you'll never worry about that :)

I always thought your name (S4play) was because sometime in your past you owned an Audi S4 but since your first car was an S2000 with that plate already I guess not.

Which model would be best for adding a CTSC?

Roger, you are right, I did have a B5 S4 and this is where my SN came from back in the Audiworld days :) I don't want to get off-topic too much but I should have said the 01 Spa is my first s2000, not my first car. I dabbled quite a bit in the DSM world (Eclipse GSX) as my first cars and went through a whole bunch of cars through college before the cars you see here. I was a bit DSM drag racing nut in the midwest days when free time was plentiful.

Anyways to answer your question, the best cars IMO to supercharge are the 2006+ cars ~ easy to tune with the Flashpro. But on the different side of the fence some argue that the 05 is the best year to tune because it maintains the throttle cable. In 2006+ cars Honda went to a DBW (Drive by wire) setup.

Next time ask me for a ride in my GPW s2000 with the SOS, it screams and loads more fun to drive than my NSX in most cases with the top down~!

That yellow ap1 looks awesome. I think i need to drive the ap2 before making any decisions. I've driven an ap1 and loved that 9K redline!

Had an '05 ap2, but the NSX was better for me for every category. Sounds like your situation is different, the NSX is not a cheap car to track/autox.

I'm gonna own an AP1 one day though.

I have (for at least as long as I can afford) a 2002 AP1 S2000 71k miles and a 1992 stock NSX 40k miles. I bought the NSX approx. 1 month ago and have put about 3-400 miles on the NSX, and since I bought the NSX, my S2000 has become my 'beater' since I sold my 1999 Civic hatch (which I miss too!!!) to partially fund the NSX and I have put about 300 or so miles on the S2000.
Sooooooo....
owning the NSX has been liberating from the S2000 point of view, I have to say a weird transformation took place, I now drive the S2000 with abandon... as it is not my 'trophy' vehicle now... its weird but owning the NSX has really opened up my S2000 experience, I expected the NSX to be the slightly bigger version of the S2000, but they are totally different cars. In many ways for the street and my type of commute driving, the S2000 is much more exciting... sort of...
The NSX just rocks though... it has torque, it sits lower... its faster and handles better... but roll the windows up and turn on the A/C and its pure touring, with the old 15"x16" wheel tire combo...
Sooooo
what does all this babbling amount too...
get a 94 or earlier NSX and a 2002-2003 S2000... and I cant imagine having a more well rounded combination of driving experiences
I feel blessed by the automotive gods everytime I open my garage and they are both sitting there.

MPX

Why don't you sell your DD, buy the s2000 as a daily driver and autocross car, and keep the NSX as your "nice day" car???

Being married means I need to have at least one practical vehicle so an NSX and S2000 is out. We have a Celica GTS which is surprisingly fun and great for hauling things around since its a hatchback!

Being married has nothing to do with it, or having kids.

You just need more cars....we have 7 total for various duties including two SUV's and a wagon hybrid. I don't even count the s2000/nsx as real cars as neither of my kids can ride in them and purely for fun on the side.

Being married has nothing to do with it, or having kids.

You just need more cars....we have 7 total for various duties including two SUV's and a wagon hybrid. I don't even count the s2000/nsx as real cars as neither of my kids can ride in them and purely for fun on the side.

Need the bank account to grow up first ;)

S4play you are living the dream.... To the op, when I had my '00 S2K it was definitely raw and it was such an amazing driving experience. Revving to 9k rpm felt like my intake was sucking in the universe nothing else mattered while driving it just pure sheer joy, that is what makes the S2K magical. Mine had the clutch buzz so I recommend checking that out or get at least an '02+ or throw some bolt ons so you won't here it. You will not regret getting an S2K.

I was owner of an early 00..there were a few tsb's over the years for those early cars..one was to reduce the trannie buzz..the other was for better shifter detent...amazing car for its time.....very stiff chassis for a convertible.

I am lucky to have both. Many people don't understand why I keep the S2000 when I have an NSX. I supercharged my S2000 and it is one pissed off car. I love it!

I had a choice between a beautiful S2k and a 924S 10 years ago (I went 924 which made my 2nd owned). I would still have the S2K now I'm sure and it would be screaming through the mountains every chance I would have. I will not get rid of my NSX for the S2k but would love to have one in the stable. I have the luck to have a son with a 135I and wife with SLK300. I get by with their help

The clutch buzz on the first year S2000, the 2000, is from the springs rattling on the clutch plate. It is harmless and can be remedied by replacing the clutch with a new one which was changed to fix the issue. Many people had it fixed under warranty and others just didn't care or let it bother them. Mine has it and I have a new clutch which LarryB gave me for my birthday, I just haven't gotten around to putting it in. Replacing a good clutch that works fine just is not on the front burner with me yet. I would not let it deter me from buying a car that has this condition. It just means the car has the original clutch if you find one with it. It's no big deal and it not like the snap ring problem with some early NSX's. It's not catastrophic.
BTW the S2000 does not have a timing belt it has a chain and though there is a service interval for adjustment it does not ever need replacement like the belt on the NSX and most other Hondas and Acuras. FYI.

The S2000 is a front mid engine design and that is part of what makes it handle so well.

Last edited:
The clutch buzz on the first year S2000, the 2000, is from the springs rattling on the clutch plate. It is harmless and can be remedied by replacing the clutch with a new one which was changed to fix the issue. Many people had it fixed under warranty and others just didn't care or let it bother them. Mine has it and I have a new clutch which LarryB gave me for my birthday, I just haven't gotten around to putting it in. Replacing a good clutch that works fine just is not on the front burner with me yet. I would not let it deter me from buying a car that has this condition. It just means the car has the original clutch if you find one with it. It's no big deal and it not like the snap ring problem with some early NSX's. It's not catastrophic.
BTW the S2000 does not have a timing belt it has a chain and though there is a service interval for adjustment it does not ever need replacement like the belt on the NSX and most other Hondas and Acuras. FYI.

The S2000 is a front mid engine design and that is part of what makes it handle so well.

^^^ Good points!

Ours is a 1st year ('00) model that thankfully doesn't have the buzzy clutch deal.
There were 2 recalls on the early cars, one was for different spark plugs (higher torque setting IIRC) and for tail lights that apparently faded to a less-than-DOT-approved shade of red if left out in the sun.
Not too bad for a brand new design, Honda darned near had the S2000 perfect right out of the box!

Brian

I have both and I prefer the S2000. It's less hassle.
No one bugs me zooming up and doing silly stuff, trying to challenge me when I'm in my S2000. No one playing games posing or taking pics when you come out to the parking lot. No one making nasty comments about how "it's slow" or "they're cheap now, is that why you have it?".

The worst is driving my NSX and having young good looking girls speed up to see who the driver is and then making a a face like she's gonna puke when she sees it's me, some "old guy".

None of that in the S2000. Just the occasional polite, appreciative nod that says "yeah, I get it".

When the top is down the S2000 is a instant vacation.

As for handling and pure driving fun it never disappoints. Urehara got this car RIGHT.

The NSX impresses many people and gets comments but the S2000 is for me. The fun that car gives is my little secret, that I share with the twisty back roads of the Catskill mountains.

^ Totally Agree

The worse was i was driving the NSX with the targa off and realized some guy videotaping me while i was scratching my balls. ughhhh.

Good info thanks!

I know it has not been mentioned here but the s2000 > BRZ even though the two cars are directly comparable. I drove my friend's BRZ last night and it was "nice" if you need mini back seats. The car is definitely not as fun as the s2000 (maybe cuz it's a coupe?) Yea yea I know people who defend the BRZ says it's a perfect chassis and whatever but I would never get rid of the s2000 for a BRZ, just not the same car.

And from the one poster, a supercharged s2000 is really a pissed off car! I smile every time the boost hits, I compare it to a M roadster from BMW with lower maintenance costs.

I'd rather take a FD with a LSx and be done with it.

It has more leg room than the S2k from when I drove them side by side.

Something to consider.

The nose is shorter for the FD so it feels more like a NSX in dimension and driver position relative to the center of the car than the S2k.

Gosh I sure do miss my FD.

Ever try a RX8?

Cheap and I think it handles better than the S2k and FD since it has a longer wheelbase for stability.

Jeremy on Top Gear did say that the RX8 was the best handling car he test drove.

2nd place was the Zonda
3rd was the Z8

Last edited:
I'm very blessed to own an AP2 S2K and an 02 NSX. Both are a blast to drive in different ways. I drove the S2K from San Antonio,Tx to the Key West last winter and enjoyed every minute though when the top was up it is a vary noisy ride. But the S2K transmission is the best shifting tranny I've ever experienced. The AP2 shifts through the first three gears rather fast. And you can throw the rear end around at very low speeds. Also I had at least two offers to buy it when I was down there. The NSX on the other hand is a little more refined, quieter and for obvious reasons feels more exotic. Especially when you are driving through turns and the car just seems to squat down as it picks up down force. Beg to own both if you can. However, I think your priorities are in the right place. Good luck in your search.

Interesting point, the FURTHEST I ever drove the s2000 is from Denver to San Jose, CA. Roughly 1100+ miles and we did it in one full day driving through the night with 2 of us taking turns. The s2000's worst problem is on long trips there is very little lower back support. We had a hardtop so not as much noise but still the s2000 was never meant for long road trips with the higher revs and little to no noise insulation. Both of us were 6'2 guys so that probably didn't help.

I have never taken my NSX on a road trip so the furthest I drove that car is maybe an hour into the city. I'm sure it would be a lot more comfortable but my main fear is having a flat tire. With my 18/19" BBS LM setup I would be totally SOL if I had a flat as the car is way too low to drive with any spare and to carry a full size frontal spare won't fit in the cabin thus this car is regulated to local duties only. Even putting it on a flatbed for transport takes a delicate balance of using just the right angle with angle ramps so no way I would risk driving it far.

Back