• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

This was strange...........

I was sitting in my house tonight and all of a sudden someone knocks on my door. (nobody ever knocks on my door as it's a gated community). I go to the door and a couple of young guys (18-20ish) are there just to tell me that they love the NSX as they saw it in my garage. So I go out and show them the car and tell them about it and they are just lovin' it. So I offer to take one for a ride and he gets real excited! So as we are driving, he's telling me how he can't believe that he is actually sitting in one. So, then I pull over and tell him to drive. He couldn't believe it. His jaw dropped. I caught him totally off guard. He said he was in heaven and that it was a dream come true. We cruised for a while then, as we pulled back into my driveway, the face on the other kid was just priceless seeing that his friend was driving. He didn't expect that! It was nice to see people so excited. It reminded me of when I was saving my money to buy my dream car. Maybe I've created another obsessive NSXer like all of us.
biggrin.gif
Anyone else have something this impromptu happen to them?

heh - I had a similar thing happen a week or so ago. Due to the drought here in the Boulder, CO area, we can't wash our cars in our driveway, so I had to take the car to a power wash station (I wash it by hand there). Anyway, this guy pulls up in a modified WRX (he's around 28 or so). We get chatting, and he lets me drive his car (he had a big turbo on it), so I let him drive my NSX in return.

At the end he said, "I don't know if I should thank you or hate you!" heh

Her was a cool guy - we're going to schedule a detail day some weekend and do both of our cars; just as soon as his Zaino order arrives
smile.gif

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

Well there was this one time that I met up with my ex (girlfriend at the time) and some of her friends. It so happened that one of her friends had an Audi and liked to take it autocrossing. Everyone at the cafe was standing outside looking at the car so I offered one guy a ride and let another one of her friends drive it. He drove so slow!!! =P I told him to get on it and put that thing in Vtec but he was just too scared. hehe! Unfortunately he wasn't used to how low it was and ended up scraping my front spoiler on a driveway. Oh well, I've just about demolished the damn thing anyway. =) It's always nice to see someone else appreciate our cars.

[This message has been edited by Darkcyd (edited 27 July 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Didn't you let the other guy drive it, too?

Actually the other guy didn't even get to ride in it as it was getting late and I had some things to do. I'm sure they'll come by again as they live in my neighborhood and then he can ride. The guy I took for the ride said that the other guy didn't have a license so, I guess he's not going to drive.

Almost an identical experience. We're sitting in our living room in the early evening and two girls i dont recognize knock on the door. they introduced themselves and told me they were in love with the nsx. they turned out to be neighbors from down the street. i showed them the car and told them they could drive it sometime this summer when we had more time. my wife thought it was all pretty amusing. they told me they had a cousin in texas i think, who had a nsx auto??? anyone on this board?? i live in lakewood in lee's summit mo (kansas city suburb).

I went to best buys last sat during the day to buy a dvd.when I came out to my nsx that I parked way out in left field I saw two guys milling around my car.as I approached one of them said to me..hey check out this nsx..I love these cars.I told him it was mine and he replyed noway so I just unlocked it and his jaw dropped.he then proceeded to point at an r-type and told me it was his.I asked him if he had ever driven in an nsx.he said no.btw he was wearing a best buy shirt so I knew he worked there and asked him if he had time to take a drive.he was in the passenger seat before I could take another step.I drove him across a long bridge and back lets say very spirited.when he got out of the car back at best buy it looked like he would be wearing a perma grin for a month.
I got a real kick out of that
david

Nsxotic; good for you for taking the time to share your NSX. I also don't mind sharing mine and letting someone else who I feel is qualified drive. I find it a shame how some people protect their cars like they are so fragile while singing its duribility praises out of the other side of their mouth.

Way to go!!!

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Driving, or even just riding in, an NSX is the ultimate fantasy for millions of car buffs. We are a fortunate few who can do this any time we want.

The ability to share this experience with people who can appreciate it, but cannot otherwise obtain it, is one of the pleasures of owning an NSX. Last time I counted, I had let over 40 different people drive mine, and have taken many more as passengers.

Shortly after I was out of college, a friend with an AC Cobra 289 (a real one) took me for a ride in it. It was, and still is, one of my fondest car-related memories. It helped me appreciate what we can offer to others, and how much it means to them.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 July 2002).]

To date I have only let 3 other people drive my NSX. It isn't that I haven't offered the thrill but everybody turns it down for fear of wrecking it or breaking it. I appreciate their concerns and then will take them for a 'quick' little ride down the road for them. The response is pretty much always the same
OH MY GOD !!

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I recently picked up some supplies for my pool, and was casually talking to one of the guys at the cash, when he mentioned what a nice car I had (red '97 T). I offered to take him for a quick (!) ride, so we went out for a boot.

He thanked me profusely, and I went on my way. A week later, I get a card in the mail, and I quote: " Thanks again for taking me for a spin! That absolutely made my day (I haven't stopped talking about it yet) What a car!"

It isn't everyday that we can brighten someone's day like that. I wouldn't have believed that these cars can have an impact on people, but they can!

One guy at work is a total car nut, although he is confined to a small 94' toyota pickup, we went to an offsite meeting one day so we took my NSX. After the meeting I offered to let him drive back, which he eagerly accepted.

The next day I met his wife and she cursed me for letting him drive it since he apparently hadn't shut up about it since
smile.gif

He is also a great driver and had fun with it near red line, it was great! My dad however still won't take it for a drive
wink.gif

Driving around in rural areas of Arizona is an interesting experience in an NSX. There are basically two types of reactions from people who actually notice the car.
1) Don't know what it is, can tell it is expensive, think you're some rich assh*le from Phoenix. Hey I guess if it cost more than *my* house (trailer) I might feel that way too.
2) Worshipers. People who know what it is and have never seen one in person. Sometimes will ask if they can sit in the car. Never had anyone ask to drive. Stopped to fuel up in Yuma once, went in to use the restroom, came out and these two guys slam on the brakes in front of the station, park, and jump out and RUN over to the car. I was a bit concerned at this point! They just wanted to look at it. Can we see the engine etc... These people are fun. I always take the time to show the car to them if I can.

-Shawn

My NSX set a record for me yesterday going to the movies.

Stopped at a stop light next to a Honda CRX, two guys in it. They revved a little, gave me a thumbs up. When I drove off, the passed by and video taped my car!

The MR-2 attracted a lot of attention (country store - looks like a UFO) but not like the NSX.

Ok, I hate to do this, but given the topic I just have to ask. I've been lurking this forum for about a year now, and I'm huge fan of the NSX. Unfortunately I'm just graduated from college, and even though I have a relatively well paying job (for a recent college grad), I also have about $20,000 in student loans to pay off before I'll even let myself think about buying an NSX. Still, I can't get this car out of my head. So... if there's anyone out there in southeast Pennsylvania or nearby (I live in the Allentown/Bethlehem area) who wouldn't mind giving a total stranger a ride in their NSX, please let me know.
smile.gif
It'd really be a thrill for me, and hopefully would help to ease my obsession a bit.

When I attended NSXP99 in Monterey, I was going back to my car after one of our gala dinners. I noticed three teenagers hanging around my car. They knew the NSX and said they drool over the car every time they see one. They asked if I could open the car up so they can sit in it. They just about freaked out. The expressions on their faces were as if they were getting into an F-16. Each one shared a moment with the car savoring every second they spent in the car. I haven't seen three happier teenagers. They all thanked me many times over. I was going to offer them each a ride but I was on a schedule. They said that NSX owners were nice people. When they would inquire about checking out other makes of sports cars, their owners would brush them off. I know I made their day.

Originally posted by wilsonp:
Especially if you drive it...

You're probably right. I found myself sitting next to a very nice looking black NSX at a stoplight today. (only the 3rd time I've ever seen one in person!) After that I couldn't concentrate for a few hours, so I can't even imagine what I'd be like if I actually got to drive one.
biggrin.gif

I let my ex-girlfriend drive my NSX 2 weeks ago and she hit a freakin' curb!! Now I know why she's my "EX"-Girlfriend!!!!! In conclusion... if a guy wants to test drive my car, no problem, I'll test drive his wife providing he doesn't mind if I drive her hard and put her away wet!

Carl Camper

Okay, now you guys are making me feel bad. A friend of mine just got a new M3 with (SMG!) on Friday, drove from Orange County on Sunday night just to show me the car, then he let me drive it. But I never once offered (or even thought to offer) a drive in my NSX.

Hmmm.

Only once have I let someone else drive my NSX...my dad...and I considered it a huge mistake. He was careless, kept miss shifting (first to fourth, fourth to first, sometimes starting in third) and, before returning to home, and he turned up a driveway without slowing down (made a huge scraping sound that tweaked my chin spoiler). Considering that I bought my NSX new and only had her for a week, I was pissed. Never again I would let him drive my car!

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Back