• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on the Infiniti QX56, any past owners here?

I didn't want to high-jack another member's thread so posting a new one here....

We have two SUV's (ML and RX) in our family right now plus a CT200h hybrid. We sold the Lexus RX since we wanted a larger 7-8 passenger SUV that can tow and also haul the family around.

I know quite a few members here have MDX and right now we narrowed it down to essentially 3 SUV's:

2011/2012 Infiniti QX56
2011+ Mercedes GL450
2011+ MDX

I've driven all 3 SUV's and to be perfectly honest I love the QX56 the most, V8 - 400hp and a 3rd row that can honestly seat 3 adults has me sold. My wife however prefers a smaller SUV footprint and thinks both the GL and QX are too big.

What are your thoughts on the above SUV's? Price wise they are all going to be low to high 40's for the most part so cost really isn't much of an issue. I like my sport cars LOW but for trucks, I like them big and menacing. The MDX just doesn't do it for me and I feel is way to similar to our ML350 and RX that we just sold. At first I thought MPG might be the MDX's strong suit but apparently it's not that much better than the QX56 and at least the Infinit has a 400hp V8.

I have other cars so the SUV will be for occasional weekend/family car transport duties, hauling and Tahoe trips, etc.

What do you guys have in your garage and would you consider the QX56? Is the Infiniti name reliable compared to Lexus?

thanks!

Last edited:
The Mercedes you really don't want once its out of warranty. The Infinity needs the HP cause its a tank, and value drops like a rock...my buddy just got his 08' loaded and mint with 56k appraised at low to mid 20s. The MDX is probably your best bet of the bunch.

Personally, our Cayenne has been a great vehicle, but due to space constraints I have been looking into an Audi Q7 with the 3.0 tdi which is also in the same price range you are shopping.

Last edited:
^I love the new Cayenne GTS but it's way too small to be a "family" car sadly!

Well the 2011+ QX56 cannot really be compared to the old 08's in terms of value but I see your point. This is not an investment thing so not too worried about resale value as we plan to keep this long term. I prefer a tank over a minivan anyday.

I have not found a single 2011+ for less than high 40's to low 50's. Infiniti really did a nice facelift for their newer SUV. One thing good about the MDX is they never changed much between 07 to 2013 so they all look the same.

Take the Audi Q7 for a test drive.....3rd row seating and great fuel economy with the available tdi engine.

My brother had a 56 and I drove it from the OC to Austin a few years ago. It drives like a dream, but it is a huge boat. It never met a gas station it didn't like, I think I was getting just about 20 mpg on the highway. Around town it worked pretty well. It does have tons of room, and is a nice car with lots of features.
I think the MDX is a bit smaller, but size does matter if you need the space. Heck, go for a Suburban. Cheap and solid. You can rent it out on weekends as a home for the homeless.

Miner

The 2014 (also known as the 2013.5 model) MDX has more leg room in second and third rows, 3.5L vs the current model 3.7L, it sits a bit lower, more fuel efficient with same horsepower. And most likely will have the highest resale.

whatever you do..... DO NOT GET A GL! I have close friend who owned one. He hated the SUV SO much he traded it in on a new Explorer. Constant issues! The latest - the Airbag suspension kept failing.

The QX is nice. Much better with the recent upgrade. We went with a Yukon Denali XL. Tows 7900 lbs. 3rd row is great for kids. you can find them cheap. The only issue is the bad MPG and that it rides like a truck. The Escalade with the magnasteer suspension is basically the same thing but with much nicer ride. Of course it costs more too.

Love them. Had old body style (2007) and now have the new body style (2012). The new one is head and shoulders over the old one in every way. Drives much better, more luxurious, amenities, profile, etc. gas mileage isn't great but no SUV that size is. No problems for either so far.

we like the interior of the 56,but for the money we would get a Toyota sequoia platinum,very similar space but more affordable.

whatever you do..... DO NOT GET A GL! I have close friend who owned one. He hated the SUV SO much he traded it in on a new Explorer. Constant issues! The latest - the Airbag suspension kept failing.

The QX is nice. Much better with the recent upgrade. We went with a Yukon Denali XL. Tows 7900 lbs. 3rd row is great for kids. you can find them cheap. The only issue is the bad MPG and that it rides like a truck. The Escalade with the magnasteer suspension is basically the same thing but with much nicer ride. Of course it costs more too.

thanks Ritesh - I love the look of the AMG Sport GL package but I heard bad things about the car's reliability factor. My close friend had a 2011 GL550 and he traded it in for a Sienna AWD after 6000 miles to my surprise!

I think seriously the QX56 will be in my garage very soon, I've found a few in the high 40's range which is a fair price for a luxo SUV and it seems to have the power and look I like in my family truck. Question I need to answer is will it fit normal sized garages? The height looks so much taller than my ML and I feel it's going to hit the top of a standard garage?

just measure your garage height with tape measure (dont forget to factor in the brackets of the garage door opener); and then compare to the online specs of the qx56.

thanks Ritesh - I love the look of the AMG Sport GL package but I heard bad things about the car's reliability factor. My close friend had a 2011 GL550 and he traded it in for a Sienna AWD after 6000 miles to my surprise!

I think seriously the QX56 will be in my garage very soon, I've found a few in the high 40's range which is a fair price for a luxo SUV and it seems to have the power and look I like in my family truck. Question I need to answer is will it fit normal sized garages? The height looks so much taller than my ML and I feel it's going to hit the top of a standard garage?

Cars are consumables. You don't buy a banana and expect the value to go up you expect to use the banana and toss the peel.
That being said I love the QX56 but the wife says too big. Now that the kids are turned around in their car seats I'm thinking about that new range rover. However the S550 we've been using since the kids came is pretty much a perfect car and I thinking we just might replace that with another one. The one we have now is the third S I've owned and mercedes just gets everything right with these cars. Although It'd be nice to get a 63 with all wheel drive but the new 14 standard S horsepower is gonna be close to what the current 63 has now

^I agree the S-class are nice cars but a bit too pricey for us. Plus I don't think I'm old enough to drive one yet :)

Oddly enough I have a younger police buddy who is in his mid 20's and loves driving his S63 around. He told me he only likes "saloon" cars like the S-class and 7-series, etc.

thanks myw but I'm going to do it the easy way and just take the car on a test drive to my home and make sure. Measurements are ok but I want to be 100% certain since our garage overhang seems lower than most.

Back