• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on this NSX? Lots of pics

After looking around I found out that the car has been parked for the last 4-6 years. The etests in Ontario, Canada are valid for 2 years, and based on the history it has not been etested since till 2016.

NSX_etest.jpg

So what's the news on the July 25 th PPI at Acura West?

Update:
Took more than half the day off today from work to drive 3 hours to Acura West to meet the seller for the PPI.

The PPI didn't cover much except for the basic safety requirements like the burnt passenger front marker bulb, warped rear brake rotors, passenger wiper blade and the spray nozzle direction being off. They also noticed the engine leaking a little oil around the covers and AC not working. I noticed a weird smell when I first went to see the car but wasn't sure if it was the engine or exhaust (burning rich?). Didn't notice any oil around the engine or ground either.

The service advisor went over the items listed above with me but didn't mention anything else. I requested to speak with the NSX tech afterwards and showed him the paint over sprays on certain parts of the car, and also the misaligned headlight covers and panels. So that's when he tells me he noticed some waviness on the surface of the passenger door. When I asked if there were any indications of frame damage, he said he didn't notice any but could do an alignment test to confirm. He also didn't notice the passenger door lock not operating properly with the key. I don't know how credible he is considering he didn't even notice the misaligned panels, paint oversprays and passenger door lock issue. I found posts here on Prime mentioning that a few members use(d) Acura West for servicing on their NSX, so I figured they would be alright.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. I feel like I just threw $194.93 + $35 gas driving there and back + 5 hours of work (I am backlogged on work now) into the toilet. I guess this would be a PPI horror story...

I got this lovely quote from them:
-passenger front marker bulb - $37.50
-rear brake rotors - $925.00
-passenger wiper blade $102.00
-aim washer nozzles - $57.50
tax +13%
total = $1267.86

The service and parts team also didn't know the NSX has 23 coolant hoses (they only found 9 on their computer system) and told me they should last the lifetime of the vehicle. They also couldn't even give me an estimated time for labour to perform the coolant hoses since they had never done one on any of the NSXs they service... haha...

/rant

Based on some searching and reading, I think the culprit might be the cam plugs (common), cam seals (common), valve covers, valve gaskets (common), crankshaft seals and/or vtec solenoids (common). The parts themselves don't seem that expensive but the labour sure is!

I guess the plus side is that the seller didn't get stranded driving 2 hours on the way there to the dealer.

Last edited:
Andrew

At the beginning of this post you took the time to post of lot of pics with comments about your concerns about various items.
The purpose of a doing a PPI is to review these concerns and provide you with feedback so you can make a sound decision going forward.

Did you make a list of these concerns with your pictures, give them to the service manager and request a meeting with the tech afterwards to go over them?

If sounds like you dropped the car off and came back to find they didn't look at a number of your concerns.

It's not easy for a tech to go over a strange car in an hour or two and find every item that's wrong with it.
There a few people, like LarryB, who are working on these cars constantly and would likely catch everything.
If you don't have someone like Larry doing the PPI I think you are always better off providing lots of guidance as to what you want looked at.

I agree with the above post

I will add that buying an undocumented old NSX is a risk due to the high repair costs on some items. If you are buying an NSX that is well documented, maintained, with no accidents or stories in the 100,000 kms range or below, you will likely pay a lot more than your budget.

If you are settling for something within your budget, your PPI should first include a compression/leakdown test to ensure the internals are good.
Then, take the car to a specialized body shop to go over the panels and the frame in full detail to ensure the body is in good shape

This will take care of the major concerns

Then budget about $3-5K to bring the car up to the maintenance standard - that includes the timing belt, water pump, tensioner (if required), cam seals and plugs, rocker cover gasket, brakes, and all the coolant hoses - there are good NSX mechanics in the GTA - some of them work at certain dealers, and other do the work from their house (cheaper).

I would also leave about $2K on the side when/if the clutch need to be replaced

There will be other issues that you could live with if your budget does not permit such as door locks, interior pieces, etc...

tax +13%
total = $1267.86

Wow....they don't call them stealerships for nothing! Just to tag along here. I totally concur with the last two comments. It's important to note the many Acura dealerships no longer have certified techs on staff to work on these (Gen 1) cars. They are a dying breed with many of them retiring and/or opening up their own shops. This advice may be a day late and a dollar short but if possible, I'd highly recommend an independent NSX shop for a PPI before going to the dealer. This may have not been an option in your case. At any rate, from what I've seen and read on this thread, this looks like a car with a story. You've already invested much of your time and $$$ pursuing it. Just don't let that cloud your judgement when and if the time comes to walk away.

Good luck!

It's Canada. New rear rotors and pads are always going to cost 1k CDN dollars for any Porsche, BMW, or NSX. It cost me 900 dollars to replace the trunk and hatch struts. The SA apologised for the cost.

Update:
Needless to say, I am not impressed. I feel like I just threw $194.93 + $35 gas driving there and back + 5 hours of work (I am backlogged on work now) into the toilet. I guess this would be a PPI horror story...

I got this lovely quote from them:
tax +13%
total = $1267.86

The service and parts team also didn't know the NSX has 23 coolant hoses (they only found 9 on their computer system) and told me they should last the lifetime of the vehicle. They also couldn't even give me an estimated time for labour to perform the coolant hoses since they had never done one on any of the NSXs they service... haha...

Come on....someone is looking to pay for their Child first year in Western, with these prices..

$37.50 for a light Bulb
$102.00 for a Wiper Blade
$57.50 to aim a washer nozzles
Rear Brake Pad and rotors are really not that expensive either should be about $450.00 for the parts.

Bram

Wait..... 13% tax!!!!
No wonder you Canadian guys always shark around the for sale forums! That is crazy.

Part of the joy of being Canadian, Jinks, and why most NSX owners shop in the US for parts.
However I believe the Canadian price on brake pads is lower than the US price.
And I bought a new rear beam this year for $1248 CDN or about $950 US.
Rare bargains.

That's very thorough job on the car. Primer's should hire you to inspect cars!

btw - if you pass on this car, can i have a shot at it? :D

@JD Cross
I definitely failed on my end. I didn't create a list of anything specific that I wanted addressed during the PPI. This is my first time purchasing a used car through a private sale. I am also new to PPI. I did mention that I was skeptical about the body and the mechanics of the car to the service advisor. My mentality was that I wanted the tech to approach the car with an "open mind", so that he can spot things that I might've missed. I didn't want him to overlook other issues as a result of my guidance. I also felt like the dealer was trying to milk money out of me, they kept offering to perform other tests (alignment test to find out if frame is straight, compression/leakdown if I wanted to know engine condition). With the door issue, the tech said he would have to disassemble it to find out. With the AC, he would also have to look into it. I knew all of this beforehand since there is no way a PPI was going to tell me that. I was hoping the tech would be able to spot if the frame had been tampered with (i.e. welds, creases, bents, scratched screws/bolts etc.). I thought panel fitment and over sprays were pretty obvious things to look for on a car, I mean if he overlooked those how can I trust that he didn't miss anything on the frame. If I had detailed pictures of the frame from a mint NSX, I think I can determine if there is frame damage from just finding the differences.

@NSX7 I agree 100%. Risk increases with unknowns and uncertainties.

@Boostedtaco, Get in line, buddy! Two people have already messaged me about this lol. @JoshuaWong1989 @Bram

I promised the seller that I will give him a response by this Saturday (Aug 13) latest on the path forward. I'll keep you guys posted.

BLUE BALLS, that's how I feel right now...

Last edited:
lolol. I'll get in line. I'm number 3? if [MENTION=25110]JoshuaWong1989[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8768]Bram[/MENTION] pass on it. :)

@JD Cross
I definitely failed on my end. I didn't create a list of anything specific that I wanted addressed during the PPI. This is my first time purchasing a used car through a private sale. I am also new to PPI. I did mention that I was skeptical about the body and the mechanics of the car to the service advisor. My mentality was that I wanted the tech to approach the car with an "open mind", so that he can spot things that I might've missed. I didn't want him to overlook other issues as a result of my guidance. I also felt like the dealer was trying to milk money out of me, they kept offering to perform other tests (alignment test to find out if frame is straight, compression/leakdown if I wanted to know engine condition). With the door issue, the tech said he would have to disassemble it to find out. With the AC, he would also have to look into it. I knew all of this beforehand since there is no way a PPI was going to tell me that. I was hoping the tech would be able to spot if the frame had been tampered with (i.e. welds, creases, bents, scratched screws/bolts etc.). I thought panel fitment and over sprays were pretty obvious things to look for on a car, I mean if he overlooked those how can I trust that he didn't miss anything on the frame. If I had detailed pictures of the frame from a mint NSX, I think I can determine if there is frame damage from just finding the differences.

@NSX7 I agree 100%. Risk increases with unknowns and uncertainties.

@Boostedtaco, Get in line, buddy! Two people have already messaged me about this lol. @JoshuaWong1989 @Bram

I promised the seller that I will give him a response by this Saturday (Aug 13) latest on the path forward. I'll keep you guys posted.

BLUE BALLS, that's how I feel right now...
Stop dragging your feet and buy it! :wink: There is no longer the perfect Nsx which is perfectly priced. Prices are on the up and up. I understand your concern on this financial decision. But this is a used 90's model car... No matter where or who you buy it from, it WILL come with some skeletons in the closet and issues. Unless of course you wish to pay 100k for one?
I see the first gen prices jumping up in value the next year with Nsx 2.0. Andr3w, is this your dream car? Do you loose sleep thinking about ownership? Do you wish to spend your free time to fix it and spend high dollars? The Nsx ownership for me was a double edged sword. It is not a daily driver car. It is not a modern car with amenities. It is not cheap to replace parts on. However, pulling into a classic car event and having all the old school hot rod guys gather round it is freaking priceless!!Especially when it steals the limelight from newer model GT3's....
You will get so many opinions here, but just ask yourself, is this the car for you??? From reading your previous posts, it seems like an old car which needs love is not the best for you. However, it may be just what you need? A hobby, a second love, a way to spend time? Sorry if this may sound harsh. I am just keeping it real. Your about to buy a 90's model Japanese car deemed an exotic. This may not be a good venture for you. Or maybe, it is just what you are searching for!:smile:

Went and picked it up with my buddy today. I have to say, if it weren't for him I couldn't have picked it up today. We left Toronto at 7:30am and arrived at the seller's home in Windsor at 11:20am. Did a quick inspection again to see if everything was still working properly. Then we went to the bank and did the transfer, and also signed the paperwork at the bank. Time was 11:45am by the time we transferred and completed the paperwork . Then my buddy and I went to the Service Ontario (licensing office) to complete the paperwork, time was 12pm. What I didn't know was that the MTO appraisal to pay the tax had to be done BEFORE I could receive the temporary plates. I thought I could get the temp plates first before paying the taxes. Therefore, we asked the associate behind the counter for a suggestion and she suggested a place down the street. So we left the licensing office at 12:10pm and arrived at the appraisal place at 12:20pm. Paid the owner the fee and got out of there at 12:30pm. We returned to the licensing office at 12:45pm and just barely made it before they closed at 1pm. Talk about a tight schedule!

Then I asked the seller to give me a manual refresh around his neighbourhood for 30 mins or so, and then my buddy and I went for lunch (schwarma place) in Windsor near the seller's home in the NSX. Funny thing happened at the schwarma place, a young lad walked into the store and asked, "who's NSX is that?" (we parked at the front of the store). My friend responded, "that's my buddy's". So the ;ad then asks me if it was okay for him to take some pictures. I said it was fine, and offered to go out and take a picture for him. I regret not offering to let him sit in it. But I didn't want to make it such a big deal. So yeah, that was the first interesting thing that happened to me with the NSX. Note, this was just an hour after we had completed registration and etc.

After lunch we returned to the seller's home and my buddy picked up his car and we headed back to Toronto, we got back to my place at 7pm or so.

We made multiple stops on the way, since I wanted to make sure the car was working properly. Needless to say, the car made the 4 hour drive home without a hiccup! The AC was out and it was hot out, so I was sweating buckets inside the car. I received numerous thumbs up on the highway (aka freeway), a couple of comments and questions as well. Also, a few photograph moments.

nsx_pickup_editted.jpg

I can't thank my buddy enough, if it weren't for him I wouldn't have been able to pick up the car today. Also, he brought his 2 month new CRV for the trip and loaded the OEM wheels + tires into his trunk. The entire ordeal took 8 hours round trip just on the road driving.

Anyways, I am exhausted after a long day today. This was my first private car sales and also traveling this far away for it. I'll post up more details, pictures and videos tomorrow (or later).

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow to clean it up!

The previous owner also found the OEM wheels+tires, owner's manual (in francais which I believe was only offered in Canada), The leather pouch with Acura NSX embroided/printed on it, Acura pen, and an Acura Notepad. He also found the spare tire and the original car cover in the fancy NSX car cover bag!

Last edited:
Congrats. Make a journal or build thread to document your process!

Thanks. I started tickering with the car on Sunday and did the easier fixes first to get my confidence going (i.e., adjusted the spray nozzles, and replaced the side marker light). I also attempted to disassemble the passenger door, but got stuck on the panel part so I am going to try again on Sunday. I also noticed two (2) missing screws that hold the door lock handle from the door and another screw that holds the rubber weather stripping around the panel so I am going to swing by the dealer to purchase them.

I took pictures and will document my progress.

Just to confirm, the gold screws on the door lock mechanism is suppose to screw into the black part, correct? The black screws go into the gold part?

Thanks. I started tickering with the car on Sunday and did the easier fixes first to get my confidence going (i.e., adjusted the spray nozzles, and replaced the side marker light). I also attempted to disassemble the passenger door, but got stuck on the panel part so I am going to try again on Sunday. I also noticed two (2) missing screws that hold the door lock handle from the door and another screw that holds the rubber weather stripping around the panel so I am going to swing by the dealer to purchase them.

I took pictures and will document my progress.

Just to confirm, the gold screws on the door lock mechanism is suppose to screw into the black part, correct? The black screws go into the gold part?

Four black screws go in the front black area.
Four gold screws into rear metal area.
Manual page 20-6

@JD Cross

I am using the 1991 service manual and I don't think it indicates which screws go where?

I checked the wiki and it says to use the black screws on the metal part and gold screws on the plastic part? Here's the link: https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR
300px-Bose_trimplate.jpg

Jim, you're an original owner so I'll take your word for it haha.

Last edited:
@JD Cross

I am using the 1991 service manual and I don't think it indicates which screws go where?

I checked the wiki and it says to use the black screws on the metal part and gold screws on the plastic part? Here's the link: https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR
300px-Bose_trimplate.jpg

Jim, you're an original owner so I'll take your word for it haha.

You'll note the gold screws have a shoulder on them and this shoulder fits inside the slots in the rear metal part to ensure a tight fit.
If you put the black collarless screws in the rear metal part they will allow some movement.
Try both ways and see what I mean.

Wel Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the ownership club. Just set up a to do list and start knocking it out.

Back