• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Throttle Response Comparison

I just bought a 2000 NSX (22k miles). I have a friend who also has a 2000 NSX (32k miles and recently completed the 30k service). I noticed that there is a distinct difference between the throttle response on the two cars - - his car seems to be more responsive (not that mine is necessarily unresponsive).

We noticed also that the clutch on his car is significantly stiffer than mine. We suspect that his car may not have a stock clutch/flywheel (he bought the car used and hasn't modified anything). Is there an easy way to tell whether his clutch/flywheel is aftermarket? In all other respects both cars appear to be completely stock.

Any other ideas as to why mine may be less responsive? Perhaps it's unrelated to the clutch?

NSX-Racer said:
Sounds very much like an aftermarket clutch with stronger springs and lighter flywheel at your friend's car - would explain both effects.

This seems about right. A lightened flywheel would explain the difference in throttle response, and most likely would only be done with a clutch replacement.

I think the difference could very well be an aftermarket clutch with a lighter flywheel. In addition to a better throttle response, your friends NSX will also keep revving quicker throughout the RPM range. If that's not the case then I would suspect that perhaps (just perhaps) the difference may be related to your car.

Including but not limited to:

- spark plugs
- fuel injectors
- valve adjust
- air filter
- fuel filter
- ignition coils
- throttle body

Most of the above are checked, adjusted, replaced during regular service intervals (I forget which service in which interval - you can check the FAQ).

Hope it helps! And hope you're faster than your buddy soon. ;)

Thanks guys, that's what we suspected....but just wanted to confirm. As you mentioned, Shawn, its probably a combination of clutch/flywheel and perhaps some adjustment that may be needed on my NSX. I'll have to add that to my list!

Back