• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thursday Caravan to ALMS Monterey

Hello all,

I organized last years Thursday caravan, and since I was going again this year, I thought I might as well get the caravan at least started. Last we had a good caravan with one group splitting off at SLO and going up Highway 1 to Monterey and the other up 101. This year with all of the fires in Big Sur and surrounding areas, we may not be able to travel Highway 1. I'll keep you posted on road conditions

1. MCano

I'm in for a day earlier this year...

1. MCano
2. 9doors
3. You???

I am thinking of taking off Thursday and joining up with you guys. I'll know when its closer and keep you posted.

What hotel are you staying at?

D

Hello All,

Thanks NSX GT! I haven't seen any road closures along Hwy 1 either. I'm more concerned now with debris on the road. However, it such a beautiful drive, I may still take a chance. As the date nears we will see who wants to go up Hyw 1 or stay on 101.

Big D, I'm staying at my Brother-Law's in Monterey or my Stepson's in Campbell (San Jose).

Regards,

Mario

All,

It looks like we have three, maybe four, NSX's wanting to caravan. Others may join us as the date approaches.

I'll plan two routes and then present them to you to see which the majority of us wish to take. Basically one takes us up Hwy 1, along the coast, from SLO to Monterey. The other keeps us on the 101, which is inland. If we take the Hwy 1 route, we will need to get an earlier start to avoid driving the last stretch at night. A few of us took the Hwy 1 route last year, which was a lot of fun, but took a long time.

Mario

Last edited:
AGNSX, Phil, myself and a member from Phoenix are all driving up Thursday morning. We will not go up Highway #1, we intend to go I-5 and get there as fast as possible. More details when we get closer. Gil

Thanks Gil,

I was wondering if you were going to join us. I'm also wondering if there will be less of a turn out this year due to NSXEXPO in Portland, but Portland is still a long drive and NSXEXPO is very costly.

Regards,

Mario

Mario, There was very few of us from SoCal at NSXPO; If fact more from the NE came then SoCal members. I'll keep you updated on our group. Gil

I am am still planning on driving up on Thursday A.M. :smile: I am interested in getting there a little faster too...the HWY 1 takes too long to get there. It was fun last year, but we were road weary when we got there.

anyone down for a midnight jog on the track .... dodging track patrols? :biggrin:

also everyone is welcome to sit by our camp fire and kick back some brews and talk nsx, mature crowd is not guraranteed ( im going with buddies )

Last edited:
anyone down for a midnight jog on the track .... dodging track patrols? :biggrin:

also everyone is welcome to sit by our camp fire and kick back some brews and talk nsx, mature crowd is not guraranteed ( im going with buddies )

My wife wouldn't go for the camping thing...but it sounds like fun :smile:

We'll have to meet up there...Going to Lunch on Friday?

Looks like I'll be pulling out of this Caravan and going solo this year. Last years' Hwy 1 route was fun but I agree with Dennis' assessment. We want to get up there fast and early this year, so we'll be leaving pretty early and going pretty direct.

I have indicated to Tom that Patty & I will be there for lunch on Friday.

My wife wouldn't go for the camping thing...but it sounds like fun :smile:

We'll have to meet up there...Going to Lunch on Friday?

definitly find some time to meet up!

i'll probably be at the camp site or out on the track.

once i get there. im usually bunkered down for the whole time there.

btw anyone know how long the drive up the pch takes?

Looks like I'll be pulling out of this Caravan and going solo this year. Last years' Hwy 1 route was fun but I agree with Dennis' assessment. We want to get up there fast and early this year, so we'll be leaving pretty early and going pretty direct.

I have indicated to Tom that Patty & I will be there for lunch on Friday.

We will see you at lunch Friday then. :smile:

definitly find some time to meet up!

i'll probably be at the camp site or out on the track.

once i get there. im usually bunkered down for the whole time there.

btw anyone know how long the drive up the pch takes?

Acording to Google Maps:
From Santa clarita via the 5 and cut over at HWY 46 to the 101 on up to Monterrey is a total of 289 miles and takes 4 Hrs 55 min.
If you continue on HWY 46 from there to HWY 1 it is 306 miles and takes 6 hrs and 15 minutes. So figure at least an additional hour and a half without stops.
If you take the HWY126 to 101 then to HWY 1 is only 317 miles and 6 hrs 30 minutes driving time. I would figure more like 8 hours min.

Last edited:
When ever I go home from Socal, I take the I-5 north to HWY46(lost hills) to HWY101. It's about a solid 5 hour drive from Disneyland to Monterey in the SUV at 75-80mph. If you take Hwy 1, get ready for a long scenic route all day.

Last edited:
All,

Due to the distance/time to get to Monterey via highway one, there is a lack of interest in going that route, particularly for those of us that took the 1 from SLO last year (been there done that LOL).

Therefore, I suggest a route that that takes the 101 most of the way to Monterey, or other local destinations for those not staying in Monterey. The 101 route is not as quick as those who will be taking the 5, but is much shorter than the 101 to the 1 route. The 101 route is also a nicer drive than the 5 route, at least in my opinion. So, for those who would prefer a little more scenery and are not in a hurry, please state your interest here or send me a PM. I live in Sierra Madre, just east of Pasadena along the 210 Freeway. I may be joined by Big D who would arrive in Sierra Madre from Temecula around 10:30 AM. If anyone is coming from the South Bay or the West side, we can meet up at Balboa Recreation Center (where we met last year) which is off the 101 west of the 101/405 interchange. My propose option is not set in stone and could be modified if it means accommodating more cars. Below is an approximate time line:

Meeting Point in Sierra Madre to Santa Barbara = 2.25 Hrs.
Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo = 1.75 Hrs.
Lunch in Santa Barbara or Los Olivos = 1 Hr.
San Luis Obispo to Monterey = 2.5 Hrs.
Total Time. = 7.5 Hrs.

Arrive in Monterey between 5:30 and 6 PM.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...119.970703&sspn=4.342171,8.118896&ie=UTF8&z=7

Mario

Last edited:
All,

Due to the distance/time to get to Monterey via highway one, there is a lack of interest in going that route, particularly for those of us that took the 1 from SLO last year (been there done that LOL).

Therefore, I suggest a route that that takes the 101 most of the way to Monterey, or other local destinations for those not staying in Monterey. The 101 route is not as quick as those who will be taking the 5, but is much shorter than the 101 to the 1 route. The 101 route is also a nicer drive than the 5 route, at least in my opinion. So, for those who would prefer a little more scenery and are not in a hurry, please state your interest here or send me a PM. I live in Sierra Madre, just east of Pasadena along the 210 Freeway. I may be joined by Big D who would arrive in Sierra Madre from Temecula around 10:30 AM. If anyone is coming from the South Bay or the West side, we can meet up at Balboa Recreation Center (where we met last year) which is off the 101 west of the 101/405 interchange. My propose option is not set in stone and could be modified if it means accommodating more cars. Below is an approximate time line:

Meeting Point in Sierra Madre to Santa Barbara = 2.25 Hrs.
Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo = 1.75 Hrs.
Lunch in Santa Barbara or Los Olivos = 1 Hr.
San Luis Obispo to Monterey = 2.5 Hrs.
Total Time. = 7.5 Hrs.

Arrive in Monterey between 5:30 and 6 PM.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...119.970703&sspn=4.342171,8.118896&ie=UTF8&z=7

Mario

Hey Mario,

Please count me in. Looks like I'll be getting my ticket this week so I'll be joining you and Big_D for the caravan. The wife and I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, Monterey.

Caravan List

1. MCano
2. Big_D
3. Jagtiger

Last edited:
Just a side note:
If you folks happen to take the scenic route to hwy 1, there is a great restuarant with excellent lunch and a breath taking view off the cliff. The "fish n chips" are the best ever.
Lucia Lodge restaurant
http://www.lucialodge.com/mall/c121/s14406/food.htm

Also, during your stay in Monterey you should try the world famous "Sardine Factory" 1 block up from Cannery Row. Excellent food. Hit the early bird special before 6:30pm in the Lounge area. Be sure to ask to sit in the lounge to take advantage of special mini bites.
http://www.sardinefactory.com/specials/

Last edited:
It looks like there will be 2 Caravans from SoCal to ALMS. There are 3 of us staying in Morgan Hill that are leaving SoCal at 9:00 am Thursday and going up I-5 to #152 west, the shortest, quickest and most boring route :rolleyes:. We'll all bring our club radios to chat, let me know if your interested.

any club events when we are there? or just all doing our own thing?

im going to be camping in the camp ground to the right as soon as you enter the gate.

my camp ground is all the way to the far right back corner right before the round about.

http://www.laguna-seca.com/files/CampingGuide.pdf

check out the pdf file above.

i should be around site 131X or 132X bottom right hand corner.

come and say hi and sit by the fire and have a beer.

if we are not there, ill bring RED fold out chairs! so if you see those chairs, feel free to sit for a while or come back later.

we are loud and up late :)

Last edited:
Mario,

What time are you planning to drive through Santa Barbara?

A couple of us are heading up from OC. Instead of going to Sierra Madre, I'd like to find a spot to possibly meet up with your caravan. We are planning to leave OC at 6 and have breakfast in SB. Then if it works out, we can join you guys on 101.

Hey Henry,

Great to hear that you are going to ALMS again this year. We can meet up with you at the Balboa Park parking lot in Encino where we met at last year. If Big-D gets to Sierra Madre about 10:30 AM, we will get to your meeting place a little after 11 am. Think about how far you want to drive before we stop for lunch.

C-Dub,

If we leave Balboa Park around 11:15 AM - 11:30m, we will arrive in S.B. around 1:30 PM maybe sooner if Big-D gets to Sierra Madre earlier than 10:30 AM and we only make a quick stop to pick-up jagtiger. At this time we have not decided whether to take 101 through S.B. or go over San Marcus Pass like we did last year. We may be stopping for lunch in Los Olivos (if we go over the pass) or wait until we get further along, like Pismo Beach or SLO. If we get hungry, we could even stop in S.B. for lunch. These are details that have yet to be worked out between Big-D, jagtiger and me. I hope this schedule will work for you! It would be great to add another car.

Mario
H 626-355-1607
C 626-676-3000
[email protected]

I'll be there on time if not sooner!!! I can't wait! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve :biggrin:

Back