• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Timing Belt - any after effects

I have an appointment a week from Friday to have my timing belt replaced (along with the hoses and water pump). I was talking to a friend of mine who had his replaced on an early 90's 3000GT (few years ago). He said after that service the car never ran the same. It was like there was some noice that never left. Maybe he's just paranoid, but it got me thinking.
Obviously this is the first time my engine will have been opened up, so is it possible that it won't be as good after the maintance? I wanted to ask the experts.... (that's you guys :smile: )
From what I've heard, the mechanic is very good.

Your just paranoid. If you friend's car has noises but runs and operates fine for however long he drove it after he got the belt done and thinks there is something wrong with it. Hes just crazy. If there was something wrong with the installation, the car should have broke on startup right after the belt change. I say, just as long as your mechanic is good, knows what he is doing, and has all the right tools. You'll be fine. Don't worry.

I just had the same service you are having (timing belt, H2O Pump, etc.), and my car purrs like a kitten. I did think it was kind of sluggish at the start while I was driving home from the dealer, but it was just my imagination. The car accelerates and runs great. I think it was the much lighter wallet that made me think it was running sluggish.

while you're there you may want to consider valve lash..

just my .02

x

If it's installed properly, it will seem as if nothing is different. As to SugoiNSX's claim, it isn't necessarily true. A car can run with it installed wrong. It won't run as well, but if it's only a tooth or 2 off, it will usually run and not do damage. If the 3000GT driver thought the car felt wrong, he should have had it looked at to see if any of the cams were timed wrong.

Dave Hardy said:
If it's installed properly, it will seem as if nothing is different. As to SugoiNSX's claim, it isn't necessarily true. A car can run with it installed wrong. It won't run as well, but if it's only a tooth or 2 off, it will usually run and not do damage. If the 3000GT driver thought the car felt wrong, he should have had it looked at to see if any of the cams were timed wrong.

If it is 1-2 teeth off the car will feel very slugish and not even sound right. Sure it runs but not good... Timing is very important on a turbo carand it CAN lead to damage.... Been there done that.

The cam timing is important on ANY engine, FI or not:). The NSX engine in particular will run loud like a V8 and be down on power if it is off a tooth. It will not do any damage, just not be right.

Like everyone said, you should not even notice it was done, if done right.

HTH,
LarryB

I had the same service done last week after only 1 week of ownership so I was a nervous little puppy for 2 days.

Everything is fine. The dealer did a great job and the car runs perfectly. Don't worry, be happy! :)

I appreciate all the info guys. I'm not too worried, this mechanic has done every service on this car so far....so he's familure with it. I just thought I should check and see if anyone had any bad experiences with the timing belt service.

VBNSX....what's a valve lash??

Larry Bastanza said:
The cam timing is important on ANY engine, FI or not:).

True but it has more effect on a FI engine for the fact that it has more stress instead of a stock n/a motor.

Larry Bastanza said:
It will not do any damage, just not be right.

Really? My Turbo EG with a built B18C motor made 648whp before the timing belt jump two teeth on my intake cam and bent 3 of my valves.

Just an update...I had my timing belt replaced on Friday (04/22) Service was excellent and everything worked out great.
The only downfall is spending all that $$...and the car drives away the same as when you dropped it off :smile: Oh well, you cannot put a dollar on peace of mind.

Thanks

Back