• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing Belt Replacement

I have 22,000 miles on my 1991 NSX and the manual says to replace the timing belt at either 6 years or 90,000 miles which ever comes first. Should I replace it now?

I have a similar question, I have a 92 NSX with 38K miles, do I have to replace the timingbelt? I asked the Acura dealership wheather it's possible or not to check the timingbelt's condition and the response was "no".

First of all find a new dealer....
When I took my 91 to the dealer for a safety inspection, they told me the condition of my timing belt.

To answer your question, all you have to do is follow the required maintenance, which means replacing at 6 years or 90k.....you guys have a long long way to go, so don't worry about it at all.

I'm passed 90k on my car already, nothing has happened at all, so rest easy.

Hoover - The manual states 6 years or 90k miles *whichever comes first*. A '91 or '92 car is well past the maintenance schedule if they are on their original timing belt.

That being said, I think it's fairly safe to go a bit beyond that. But I wouldn't wait for 90k miles on a car that's driven say 5000 miles a year... and if you go beyond the recommended replacement interval you can't blame anyone else if it breaks and your engine is damaged.

I replaced the timing belt on my 91 last summer with 50,000 miles. The dealer said the belt look "very good". That being said I'm with Lud. The cost at a dealer should be $1,000 to $1,200. The cost if it breaks I wouldn't want to imagine. I now have a 94 with 26,000 miles. I am planning on having the t-belt replaced next summer.

I asked Don Lam at Hilltop Auto Service (Don worked for various Acura dealer and a NSX certified Tech, check him out at www.Hilltopautoservice.com). His answer is go with the mileage. Rubber does not deteriorate with time that fast. Only if it's exposed to water and Sun repeatedly. He said it would be very safe to just follow the mileage.

In general that may be true, but there are plenty of NSXs that are 8-9 years old with 20k-30k miles on them. Some have even less.

If those folks wait until 90k miles to replace their timing belts will be 30-40 years old! That is not "very safe," that is insane. Sure they won't all break but I'll guarantee that some will.

Will he cover the repair cost if someone is waiting for 90k miles and it breaks at 75k miles after 30 years?

I agree it's pretty safe to go well past 6 years.... But within reason.

I know Don Lam at Hilltop Auto Service as well.....he's an NSX certified tech.

his point is that all you have to do is check the condition of the timing belt and determine from there.....

On another note, in 30 years, you guys will probably have a 2030 nsx......

Modern timing belts cannot be inspected for fatigue as effectively as the old style ones. You can check for play and obvious physical damage but not internal degredation of the glass fibers which are key. But hey, it's your engine... do as you like.

After much research and input from you guys, I had my timing belt replaced on my '91 with 22,000 miles. I felt that it was safe insurance after nine years.

I just got my car back from David Mcdavid Acura in Plano TX. I had it in to have the clutch replaced (38000 miles). While it was in, the service advisor looked up any recalls that had not been done on my car. There is a recall that they replace water pump and hoses. While they were doing that he suggested I replace the timing belt. It only cost me $300 for a $1300 job. So my advice is contact the dealer and see if you can get the same thing done.

------------------
pat young
91 red/tan

Back