• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tips and Expectations on Going Cross Country for an NSX?

I live in Southern California.
Said NSX is in Jackson, MS. Originally from San Diego, '91, Red, 5-speed, black interior. All stock, looks like the only mod done is matching paint on the roof and yellow calipers :disgust: If anyone knows of a good PPI place, let me know please. He offered to skype me but I'm no mechanic so it'd be a waste of time.

The NSX is a rare car so I know many had to of traveled long distanced for one. How does one know positively that an NSX is in good condition before arriving? Has anyone backed off once the car is inspected? Is it better to gamble and have it shipped?

Open to any tips and advice.

Update: Just found out that the car will be deemed salvage in California. I don't get it but okay. Bummer.

Last edited:
Unless you know the seller or the seller is a well known and respected member on prime and vouch for the car, no it is not a good idea and just have it shipped without inspecting it.

If u r busy and can't fly there to check it out in person, start a thread in the regional section and ask a prime member to check it out for you for a small fee. I am sure they will be happy to do it for u.

Unless you know the seller or the seller is a well known and respected member on prime and vouch for the car, no it is not a good idea and just have it shipped without inspecting it.

If u r busy and can't fly there to check it out in person, start a thread in the regional section and ask a prime member to check it out for you for a small fee. I am sure they will be happy to do it for u.

Agreed, but I'd take it a step further and make sure it's a prime member like a mechanic or something. A prime member may be able to tell you x about a car, but a mechanic like Larry B or something like that can tell you x,y,z and how much it'll be to get fixed.

Regardless I'd never buy a car sight unseen or not driven unless you have that kind of cash to gamble away if something is wrong.

Without much info on the NSX and not knowing what you are looking for in an NSX. Start with a CarFax or some other form of history report. While, not always accurate, they do have enough quality info to either create some questions or help you decide whether or not to spend the money for a PPI. I would say get a good PPI and if the owner happens to have all of the service records that would be a plus. Personally I wouldn't buy an NSX sight unseen. Pictures tend to hide flaws. To me one indicator of how the car has been cared for is the condition of the engine bay and front compartment. If it's dirty I get a little more skeptical about the car's care but it's not necessarily a deal killer if all else is good. Also, if you find the car meets your expectations and you have the time, I recommend driving the car home. I've done this twice and let me tell you it is a great way to get to know your car. You will find the little rattles, squeaks and flaws that you'll want to address as well as have a great adventure. There are several threads on here that describe that first drive home. I would also recommend a premium AAA membership just incase and for piece of mind. Good luck in your search and when you finally find the "one" let us know and provide pictures or it never happened.

I went cross country to get mine, I had a blast. Just get a PPI, roadside assistance and enjoy the trip.

Back