• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Question - Pirelli P7000's

I have a 94 with 16 - 17" OEM wheels and am replacing the stock Bridgestones. I know only Dunlop, Yokohama and Bridgestone are made for the NSX, however I had met a guy at the NSX day at Homestead that had Pirelli P7000's and he loved them. I know they aren't right/left specific, however from what I have read/heard they wear VERY well and handle as good as OEM. Now to the question...Has anyone had experience with them that can share their TRUE experience? Appreciate the help, I'm driving on slicks temporarily ;o)

There are some positive reviews in http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/TireWheel/tirereviews.htm but I can guarantee you that they will NOT handle as well as the OEM tires. The OEM tires are designed with the knowledge of which corner of the car they will be used on, and this maximizes handling. Feel free to try the Pirellis but don't expect them to handle as well as the Yokohama A022 or Bridgestone RE010 tires.

I would have to disagree with you on that one O great Nazi of the FAQ's. I moved away from the OEM Yoko's to the Toyo Proxie T-1s. I would say they handle very close to the Yoko in dry conditions and better in wet conditions.

This time of year in Texas, wet traction is important to me. I'm in the process of building a friggin Arc down here. Will have to boot off the Giraffe's to make room for my NSX...
wink.gif

This car is my daily driver, I can't afford to replace OEM Yoko's every 5K miles. That would mean new tires for me every 45-60 days at a $1000 a pop... OUCH! I have put three thousand miles on them already, and they still look new.

This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions, they're like assholes...

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

No disagreement. I was referring to handling on dry pavement only, which seems to be the primary design criterion for the OEM Yokos. I suppose I should be more specific, but then again, I rarely express an opinion other than that folks should LITFAQ.
biggrin.gif

I have been running Pirelli P7000 Supersports on my NSX and have over 5000 miles with very little wear showing. I am extremely happy with the performance of these tires and will certainly replace them with the same tire in the future.

I live in Arizona so I don't see a lot of wet weather but they handle very well on dry pavement. They are also very reasonably priced compared to other brands. I would highly recommend them.

By the way, there IS a directional arrow on the P7000 to indicate which direction the tire must be mounted . Arrows must face towards front of vehicle. Discount Tire pointed this out to me when I purchased my wheels a couple of months ago.

I like the Pirellis P7000 Super Sport so much that I have them installed on all my cars except the NSX. I'm seriously thinking about putting them on the NSX next time I need new tires, however, I have not seen the sizes I need for OEM 16/17 in wheels.
The 17 in on my wife's Mercedes have gone 13K mi without signs of wear (the Bridgestones SO-2s I had before lasted 12K mi). My daily driver a 2000 3.5 RL has 18 in wheels and the tires have 9K mi and look brand new. Hard to believe but the RL rides smoother with this combo than with the original 16 in with Michelins.
If you buy them, please let us know what you think.

You might also consider the Pilot Sports. I have them on my car and I am very happy with them. Great dry grip, great wear and the latest version has good wet traction for a high performance tire. Tire Rack alos gives them rave reviews.

Also, since they are directional, but not limited to a single corner, you can remount them to swap sides and extend the wear. This is really nice on a car with a lot of camber wear like the NSX.

I have Pirelli SuperSports on my Supra. I thought they were a great tire and was pleased with the snow traction. Now at 30,000 km of use the rears are almost worn to the wearbars and will need to be replaced by the fall. The old P700's lasted 50,000km and they had a rating of 140-180? The 7000's have a wear rating of 300 so they should have lasted 80,000km. I can't figure this out but still a great tire in many ways. I still "own" the Supra but gave it to my sister.

Originally posted by rcarlos:
I have Pirelli SuperSports on my Supra. I thought they were a great tire and was pleased with the snow traction. Now at 30,000 km of use the rears are almost worn to the wearbars and will need to be replaced by the fall. The old P700's lasted 50,000km and they had a rating of 140-180? The 7000's have a wear rating of 300 so they should have lasted 80,000km. I can't figure this out but still a great tire in many ways. I still "own" the Supra but gave it to my sister.

I noticed that you live in Canada too, just wonder what year is your Supra?
If you ever want to sell it, please shoot me an email! I'm looking for one now, thanks.
smile.gif

I've used Pirelli Supersports on my last 2 vettes, and have a pair on my NSX. They've alwasy been great tires for unbelievable prices. I can't seem to understand how Pirelli's can be bought so cheap, when they are superior to many other more expensive American brands.
If they can hook up with 300 ft/lbs of torque at 1500 RPMS on my vette, they're good enough for me.
I can't comment on the handling perspective on an NSX because I bought mine with Pirelli 7000s.
I just always found Pirellis to be a great buy.

I found that after the P7000's I had on my NSX wore down half way, the wet traction went to shit. I was easily hydroplaning on the highway speed 65MPH+. Has anyone else found this to be true also?

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

The OEM tires also have poor wet traction when they're worn, but I'm not sure it's as soon as half way.

BTW Brian, I'm not offended or anything, but your new avatar isn't very classy.
rolleyes.gif
Just my O, of course, sorry.

for all you Pilot Sport fans, how are they on durability?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
BTW Brian, I'm not offended or anything, but your new avatar isn't very classy.

what? this from someone AKA faq nazi?

I like the avatar personally. I have seen that picture around before, I sent it to a few non-local friends (who had never met my wife) after I bought my NSX and BS'd them that my "wife" was washing my car. we had some pretty good laughs around your avatar!!!!

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
· Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
· Dali Racing / Brembo big brake kit
· Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
· Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels
· Wings West side skirts and rear spats

Back