• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire size for 17/18...bit confused

265/35/18 on a 10" rim has basically no stretch.

two of the wheels below are 18x10 and use 265/35/18 and look like they are a bit stretch. would a 18x9.5 wheel be "safer" with 265/35/18?

311844_3126674104695_353218711_n.jpg

Quite a few people are using 235/40-17 in the front for track tires. Yes, they rub big-time, especially if you have to turn at full lock, and there's nothing reasonable you can do to eliminate that. People who only use them for the track don't mind the rubbing. (And of course track tires like the R888 and NT-01 won't give any advantage for street use, except for the revenue figures of your tire retailer, from whom you will replace them often. :) )

two of the wheels below are 18x10 and use 265/35/18 and look like they are a bit stretch. would a 18x9.5 wheel be "safer" with 265/35/18?
Most 265/35-18 tires are approved for widths of 9.0-10.5 inches. Tires typically look "normal" in the middle of the approved range, "stretched" at the high end, and "bulging" at the low end. So I would expect them to look best on either an 18x9.5 or an 18x10, with no problems on either width.

That photo appears to be a set of four NSX wheels/tires, and the two that look stretched appear to be the front wheels (the smaller ones on the right), not the rear wheels (the larger ones on the left). The two rear wheels/tires look fine, not stretched. So if the "normal" looking rear tires shown are 265/35-18 on 18x10, that doesn't surprise me; that combination should be fine. The fronts may be another matter though.

Last edited:
That 265 does look ever so slightly stretched. But ric, that is far from not being safe. It's just fine, it's just the visual that is in question.

big time rub is subjective...My 235/40/17 front ra1's rub the inner fender well at 3/4 lock,but have polished the aluminum to a nice shiny sheen thus freeing up 1-2 mm....see it takes care of itself:biggrin:

big time rub is subjective...My 235/40/17 front ra1's rub the inner fender well at 3/4 lock,but have polished the aluminum to a nice shiny sheen thus freeing up 1-2 mm....see it takes care of itself:biggrin:

Haha, I love my little polished spot too. :biggrin:

I was browsing for tires to buy for my about to buy advan wheel and I just realized that it's harder to find tires in 215/40/17 size for the front. I am used to either buying Michelin or Bridgestone for my previous cars but I didnt find them making tires in that size while they do make 265/35/18. This thread is very helpful. I kinda know what I need to buy now. Thanks.

I also noticed that some tires come in 215/45/17. Any reason we shouldn't/can't use a 45 series tire?

I also noticed that some tires come in 215/45/17. Any reason we shouldn't/can't use a 45 series tire?

Why would you? It only has a higher sidewall insuring that you rub more. Plus it throws off your TCS unless you really go tall in the rear which is already taller than the front.

Why would you? It only has a higher sidewall insuring that you rub more. Plus it throws off your TCS unless you really go tall in the rear which is already taller than the front.

rub more?? A 215/40/17 isn't going to rub at all.

3/4 lock? LOL... this car already has the turning diameter of a Peter Pan bus.

It sounds like when you go 235 you gotta get a wider fender. And I am wondering why you haven't already if you like the 235 so much. So what are you running?

3/4 lock? LOL... this car already has the turning diameter of a Peter Pan bus.

It sounds like when you go 235 you gotta get a wider fender. And I am wondering why you haven't already if you like the 235 so much. So what are you running?

stock body, the outer rim is not the issue it is the inner wheel well wall.the fender clearence is all about wheel offset plus tire size plus ride height.My 235 ra1 is on a 7.5 inch ssr-c wheel .My street tire is a standard 215/40/17.

So can't you just use a spacer and pull the wheel out say 5mm and not rub on the inside? Would that then create a rub outside?

turbo2go

spacers might work for him also not noted modification need to happen to the fender liners the front part that has fins and is behind the ac consdesor should be ditched mine only slightly rubs on the rear liner portion and hasn't rubd on the wheel up or front clamps to my knowledge yet but the tires ive only put about 150 miles on them so all angles havnt been accounted for. I'm going to probaly heat gun the rear portion of the liners. both myself and docjohn have NA2-R suspension so not a low ride height

here is 235/40/17 NT05 on RPF1 17x8 +45 no spacer and NA2 R suspension

0568C312-4E07-4E3A-9EBB-A945B21F3A9B-11861-000009CDA255BBF8.jpg

yikes I forgot I removed those condensor shrowds years ago....but yes Dave a spacer would create interference with the outer fender lip

311844_3126674104695_353218711_n.jpg

Those general exclaims also have little to no rim protector bead which makes the sidewall thinner.

yikes I forgot I removed those condensor shrowds years ago....but yes Dave a spacer would create interference with the outer fender lip

So then you could use wider fenders. I mean it's a lot of work but I guess it can be done. I see why you don't bother if it's just for track shoes. Now what happens with Hoosiers? What sizes do they come in for up front?

So then you could use wider fenders. I mean it's a lot of work but I guess it can be done. I see why you don't bother if it's just for track shoes. Now what happens with Hoosiers? What sizes do they come in for up front?
I guess i could but I'm happy with the balance of the 235/275 combo.I am rather inept at slick sizing since I have never used them.

Are you driving around the street with ra1's? What's the drawback of removing those vented liners? Are the condensers really exposed? Have you had any damage? Are the condensers getting pressurized air through the fins with tire rotation? I'm not sure I get the design behind the vented liner. Seems like its minimal air flow, is that the exit past the condenser?

without the cover the fans are exposed to more rocks/debri,but after about 8 years of that I see no deleteriuos effects.As I said the 235 are track tires,but I drive to and from the track so for the glen I put around 400 street miles on them,and its not really a big deal.

as John said, 235/40/17 on the fronts will rub the inside fender liner and may also rub the edge of the outside fender/liner (thus tearing the liner at the high point) when loading on it especially in off camber. I know for I used to have RA1s in that size and tore both liners. And even camber correction didn't resolve it.

The Hoosiers come in 225/40/17 for the front and they are a perfect fit with no rubbing on 17x8 Volk high pad CN28 wheels.

So why not just use hoosiers on the track instead of all these R comps that don't fit? is it the drive to and from the track that is the big deal? White letters say "Hoosier" on the side that is baller yo... :biggrin:

exactly you don't want to drive gumballs on the street to the track,dot R tires are fine to do that with.

Doc so what sizes and type are you running on the street?

Back