• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Totalled NSX??? or NOT??

JH4NA115XNT000773 is the Vin Number and per the TOTALLED FAQ LIST First one on the list :eek:

I looked up carfax and it says it is CLEAN!!!

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 1992 ACURA NSX (JH4NA115XNT000773) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This coupe has had at least 2 owners. The first title for this coupe was reported to CARFAX by a Texas DMV in 1994.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 04/29/2002, was 54,260 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Could this be MIS-INFORMATION???

EBAY LINK HERE

What do you think??

Mike

How exactly do you think Carfax gets their information?

What does "totalled" mean to NSXPrime?

Nobody is required to report anything to anybody. The resale value of a car is much less on the auction block if it is tagged as a "salvage". So a lot of smaller insurance companies REPORT NOTHING to maximize their return when the damaged car is auctioned off.

Here in CA, the salvage->stolen parts->tricked buyer->recovey is very short. And there are only a few insurance agencies here, so they all cooperate and honestly report their cars "salvaged". Otherwise, they would be in a constant cycle of paying out for stolen cars/parts to rebuild salvaged cars they auction off, which in turn causes more stolen/salvaged cars to be auction off.

I know cars for sure that have been severely damaged, reported to insurance for repair and NOTHING shows up on CarFax.

IMHO CarFax means NOTHING much.

You should worry even more if the car is "salvaged", but is in perfect condtion.

Drew

Please, please do NOT rely on CARFAX to be the end all when it comes to your new vehicle. Their information is just a basic overview of the car. People see that no accidents show up and are convinced that the car is accident free. Most states do not even report accidents to CARFAX.

When I worked in insurance we would run a CARFAX, and we would also run a report from a company called CCC. This report would tell every accident on a VIN that was ever reported. We would know where it was hit, the damage involved, the amount that was paid for the claim and so on. This is the end all be all when it comes to finding out about an automobile. Unfortunately, the general public is not able to get their hands on these reports.

I agree with the information posted above. Carfax may be better than no report but buyer beware, a clean Carfax report does not guarantee all is OK. MY 91 NSX JH4NA1158MT002875 was a "total loss" after an accident with a deer in Texas. I reported the loss to Acura and here on Prime in the "total loss" list in the FAQ. So I was surprised when I ran a Carfax and found the car alive and well in California. The report noted that the car had been titled in CA and then Oklahoma and then back in CA but the report did not mention any accident or major damage.

Norm
94 Red

Attachments

• 3738BitterTears[1].jpg
    3738BitterTears[1].jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,138
RSO 34 said:
I emailed the dealer and asked about the listing indicating that Acura had listed this VIN as a "total". Interestingly, the auction closed suddenly and the car was relisted without the VIN and with a "buy it now" price that was met in 2 minutes. Here is the relisted ad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4554702155

I don't even think anybody could bid on an item that was posted only 93 seconds before the auction was closed unless they knew the item number. (IE - the sellers buddy). It takes a good 20 - 30 minutes before auctions show up on Ebay, unless you knew the item number.

Seems pretty fishy to me. not my problem I am not the high bidder.

Just got this response to my inquiry:

Question about your item

Marketplace Safety Tip

If this email is an offer to directly sell you an item without bidding on and winning the item on eBay, please report it to us immediately and do not respond. An offer to sell an item directly to another eBay member through email violates eBay rules. It is also extremely unsafe to purchase an item through this email system regardless of the seller's claims or feedback, as you lose the benefit of eBay's purchase protection programs and risk losing your money.

Dear rso34,

You asked:
"Any idea why Carfax has this as a clean title but Acura lists the VIN as one of their totalled vehicles?"

No idea. Probably a mistake on Acura's part if what you are saying is accurate.

View this listing now to bid or purchase this item.

Item # Item Title Listing end date

4554606739 Acura : NSX Jun-05-05

Thank you,
mmjaguar

Sadly, my faith in CarFAX is shaken

<sniff>

Hopefully Lud is still updating the damaged VIN table. He didn't put any dates on it, so it is difficult to judge.

Drew
/once a database become freely available to the public: nobody will update it.
//Good information is not free, it never will be.
///a few more whacks because it is Monday.

Whoever maintains this list, add JH4NA2166YT000191 to it.

I have proof of total loss from my insurer and I was present for the wreck, although not driving. Yeah, I got pics too, not pretty. We're lucky we weren't killed.

Driver lost control, spun, impacted a brick windmill/mailbox structure sideways, driver's side first, at about mid-door, along with a pipe protecting a telephone guy wire. The car proceeded into the trees, clipping one and a parked SUV before coming to a stop. The entire driver's side was caved in, underbody was buckled, four torn tires, bent rims, damage everywhere.

CARFAX is a joke.

they're good at advertising so the average american knows of them and RELIGIOUSLY uses it,

shame this stuff isn't lawfully required to be listed somewhere... or is it?

Anybody notice the differences between the two ads! :eek:

First Ad: 55075 Miles - VIN JH4NA115XNT000773

Second Ad: 157075Miles - VIN JH4NA115XNT888412

By request - JH4NA21634T000028

My car, put into a ditch by the tech at the dealer. Damage was about $18k from what I last heard... no suspension or frame issues (so I was told).

Car will be done this week, and I'll get it back till the '05 arrives. I'll be sure to post any issues with it.

Ryan

liftshard said:

I have proof of total loss from my insurer and I was present for the wreck, although not driving. Yeah, I got pics too, not pretty. We're lucky we weren't killed.

Driver lost control, spun, impacted a brick windmill/mailbox structure sideways, driver's side first, at about mid-door, along with a pipe protecting a telephone guy wire. The car proceeded into the trees, clipping one and a parked SUV before coming to a stop. The entire driver's side was caved in, underbody was buckled, four torn tires, bent rims, damage everywhere.

WOW!! Glad you survived. Please post pics so anyone reading this can see what that car went through.

Meeyatch1 said:
WOW!! Glad you survived. Please post pics so anyone reading this can see what that car went through.

Uploaded a couple. I have pics of it in the bushes, but the file size was too large to upload. Some kind of 97kB limit and these are 120 or so. The first is the "before" and the 2nd is it on the wrecker.

It actually still drove. I couldn't get the other pics up, but the RF was smashed too. The psg side was in great shape and the door still worked. Underneath, phew, the underside was slightly concave, pieces of brick in the exhaust. Busted spare tire mounts, radiators, dual airbag deployment. But, the engine was in fine shape, seats, radio, CD player, etc. Good car for parts as the trunk deck & spoiler survived damage. The thing I remember most other than the very loud banging and the sensation of sliding sideways at 60mph is the awful smell when we came to a rest. There was airbag dust and glass fragments & stuff on us, and some awful odor, probably the burnt tires. It just smelled like a horrible wreck. But, we got up and walked out of it.

We missed a power pole by about 3 feet. Had we taken that amidship, the driver would have been killed. He suffered a facial fracture from the actual mailbox hitting him and his face was busted up a bit. I have visited the crash side and could see the skid marks and I do not know how we possibly navigated all of the hard obstacles in our path. The car was too long to have fit between this one tree and the parked SUV, yet it somehow did it.

Attachments

• IMAGE_331.jpg
    IMAGE_331.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 792
  • IMAGE_336.jpg
    IMAGE_336.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 794
my 240sx, 2nd car in a 6 car pile up. I get medavacted for Christ sake. Car was smashed between a suburban and a Tahoe, claimed by USAA and still has a clean carfax.

I trust a mechanics inspection, even if is cost a few hundred more to handle.

liftshard said:

It's fixed and back on here...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advanced=&start_year=1997&isp=y&cardist=2281

Shanel Magee <[email protected]> Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 2:15 PM
To: gfunk808

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car.
First of all I must inform you that currently I'm in UK.
My father, who died 1 month ago was the owner of the car.
The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, kept in our own garage. It's fun and robust to drive.
The car is an US model with US specs, technical inspection and emissions testing is passed and stamped as well.
It has a US title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register the item.
I didn't bring it here with me because the car's steering wheel is on the left side, and so it's difficult driving it around the UK.
The car is now located at the AutoTrader warehouse in Denver, Colorado. The car will be shipped and insured by AutoTrader and Square Trade.
AutoTrader will act as a 3rd party for our transaction. You will not have to pay additional taxes for this.
To be able to receive or pick up the car you'll have to send a $3,000.00 deposit.
After you inspect the car if anything seems wrong you'll be able to receive a refund from me under the authority of AutoTrader.
Please send me your full name and shipping address to forward them to AutoTrader. They will contact you with more details.
Thanks for your interest, please feel free to email me any questions or concerns you may have.
Respectfully regards

[email protected] wrote:
***VEHICLE LEAD***

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at http://www.autotrader.com. The listing is provided by AutoTrader magazine.
To view the vehicle, click the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=186650179

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Acura
Model: NSX
Year: 2000
Price: 23785
Mileage: 41308
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: Manual
Doors: Two Door
Stereo: Unavailable
VIN: JH4NA2166YT000191
Description: 2000 ACURA NSX, 41,308 mi, For further details feel free to email me, $23,785, 415-641-2954

gfunk808 said:
Shanel Magee <[email protected]> Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 2:15 PM
To: gfunk808

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car.
First of all I must inform you that currently I'm in UK.
My father, who died 1 month ago was the owner of the car.
The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, kept in our own garage. It's fun and robust to drive.

HAHAHA, I got the same email back regarding a 2004 M3, listed for $18900! Minor twist is that he got a new high paying job and is desperate to sell.

He'll communicate back and forth and finally will say, I'll come back to the states to complete the transaction, but I want you to put up a refundable deposit through an auto-escrow service.

kekeke

I replied, SURE! tell me where to put the $1500 and I'll send it along right now.

Just play along, and try to get as much info about him as possible. These crooks are just not as clever as they used to be... :wink:

Back