• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Toyo R888

That is correct - good catch!!!

In my experience, in NA, and with good track pads the limiting factior has not been the OEM brakes but rather the tires - street or R.

I've had Ultimate Axxis Pads shatter in pieces on me with OEM Rotors, but I'm hard on the brakes!

I've had Ultimate Axxis Pads shatter in pieces on me with OEM Rotors, but I'm hard on the brakes!
I was not impressed with the Axxis Ultimates. Their initial bite, release characteristics, and overall track performance is very poor. They overheat too quickly/easily and have poor modulation characteristics. I would not recommend them.

I was not impressed with the Axxis Ultimates. Their initial bite, release characteristics, and overall track performance is very poor. They overheat too quickly/easily and have poor modulation characteristics. I would not recommend them.

Ditto- though I have not used them. They are not track worthy pads from what I have heard and they do dust more than others.

I've upgraded from Axxis Ultimates to a Wilwood BBK with 14 inch rotors. Tires from Kuhmo SPT's to Toyo R888.

I just ordered a set after doing a bit of price shopping. Tire Deals 4 Less was by far the lowest. Toyo R888 235/40/17 Front and 275/40/17 Rear.

1010tires.com $975.82
onlinetires.com $934.70
tiredeals4less.com $854.44

The R888 is a very good R compound track tire. There are a whole lot of very good R compound track tires on the market now: Toyo R888 and RA-1, Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710 and V700 Victoracer, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, Pirelli PZero Nero Corsa, Nitto NT-01, BFGoodrich g-Force R1, Yokohama A048, Avon Tech RA, and Hankook Z211 and Z214.

I keep going back and forth on whether to get a set of 17/18 track wheels to run R comps...

I see that Toyo R888s come in 225/45/16 & (245/40/17 or 255/40/17). It seems that this will work on the OEM 16/17s. Is this correct???? Which would be a better match for the rears?

They can be mounted on the stock rims. (The approved rim widths for the 225/45-16 are 7.0-8.5 inches, and the rims are 16x7.)

I would be inclined to get the 255 rears, since that's a 10 mm increase in treadwidth on the fronts. The fronts may rub a bit on full lock, but that's not unusual with track tires.

Reviving this older thread... the *only* tires I can find to fit from this group on my 16/17 setup are the R888s in 225/45/16 and 255/40/17. I understand that rubbing only occurs on full lock, correct?

Anyone have any other info/size recommendations for R compound tires in 16/17, aside from these?

There are no other R-compund tires , period.

There are no other R-compund tires , period.
Thanks for your quick, short response, but it answered none of my questions, and your response, frankly, is inaccurate. Some of the listed tires here are no longer available, and I have found many more R compound tires currently that are not on this list. But, again, they were not in the 16/17 sizes that I was asking for some help about.

So.. I will quote myself :

Reviving this older thread... the *only* tires I can find to fit from this group on my 16/17 setup are the R888s in 225/45/16 and 255/40/17. I understand that rubbing only occurs on full lock, correct?

Anyone have any other info/size recommendations for R compound tires in 16/17, aside from these?

...as a reminder of the kind of information I was looking for.

But no matter. I am installing the R888s in 225/45/16 and 255/40/17 on Friday and going to the new High Plains raceway in Colorado on Saturday. I will report back here about rubbing.
--bruce

OK , sorry I was being a little facetious - The 888 is my favorite R-comp , I have owned many . The rubbing from 225/45/16's really depends on ride height , I have seen / driven a few nsx's with this size and it definitely varies due to ride hieght and also wheel offset ( like if you run spacers).

There are other r-comps you can run but none will give the same performance. This is my opinion , and please take it lightly:wink:

OK , sorry I was being a little facetious - The 888 is my favorite R-comp , I have owned many . The rubbing from 225/45/16's really depends on ride height , I have seen / driven a few nsx's with this size and it definitely varies due to ride hieght and also wheel offset ( like if you run spacers).

There are other r-comps you can run but none will give the same performance. This is my opinion , and please take it lightly:wink:

NP :cool:

The tires are wonderful. Picked them up at a place in Colorado Springs, about 2 hours from where I live, from someone I met at a track day who owns a car place.
Drove back in cats-and-dogs rain. It was fine as long as I stayed at 45 mph. I was more wary than I needed to be. Tracked the car at the new High Plains raceway in Byers, Colo., the next day and just had a ball.

Rubbing has not been an issue for me... only noticeable when I am backing up and turning, so I am very pleased.

I just got mines delivered for $100 each.

For the truck. :biggrin:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 61
Back