• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Toyota Prius vs Lexus CT200H

My buddy just picked up an A3 TDI. Gets really great gas millage, looks good, and handles well too.

If its between the prius and the lexus, I'd get the lexus.

But any of the 3 are better than a mini :tongue:

Love the A3. Love diesel. The problem is diesel gas prices are going out of control. Wouldn't surprise me if it hits $6/gal this summer.

If local Toyota dealers are price gouging, call Toyota Motor Company directly and let them know. They want to hear what's going on and will probably refer you to a dealer that would sell one to you at MSRP.

But if you can, I would still wait until after Summer and gas prices recede to buy one.

Have you checked out priuschat.com? They have a lexus owners group too there.

Dave

In November and December of last year Toyota had a great lease program for the 2010 models. I put a $1,000.00 down and pay $232.00 including tax a month for a level 3 model.

As far as handling is concerned, I think it handles surprisingly well for a car that has skinnier tires than my NSX spare tire. I'm pretty sure it has alot to do with the batteries that keeps the Prius semi-planted.

priust1.jpg

There seem to be so many a$$hole drivers out there that think just because you drive a Prius, they can stay right on your rear end.

I don't mind that they stay right on my rear end, as I know they are consuming more gas than the Prius. So, they eventually will be the loser, they just don't know it yet.

BTW, I don't hold up traffic in my Prius, I go as fast as everyone else on the freeway, probably faster :eek::biggrin:

Mike

I don't mind that they stay right on my rear end, as I know they are consuming more gas than the Prius. So, they eventually will be the loser, they just don't know it yet.

BTW, I don't hold up traffic in my Prius, I go as fast as everyone else on the freeway, probably faster :eek::biggrin:

Mike

I go really slow so they waste even more gas passing me in an all aggrevated fashion. :biggrin:

Well, after tiring of driving a minivan for the past 5 years and 130 K miles, I decided to get rid of the Odyssey. I had originally thought I would get a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. However, when I decked it out the way I wanted it......it was pushing $50K. I then decided maybe I wanted to look at sedans, my kids are still small, and 90% of the time it is just me and my three boys in a vehicle. A sedan might work. So I looked into the Camry, 200H and Fusion. While I was looking at the Fusion, I put my kids into the Escape and they all three fit across the back seat much better than the Fusion (which is more like a 4+ seater due to the rear seat having a rise in the middle to make quasi-buckets back there).

So, that got me to thinking......My wife's Passat TDI was 6 years old and had 60K miles on it, not that there was any NEED, but maybe she'd like a new car too. Since I was prepared to spend $50K on the Highlander......why not get both the Fusion AND the Escape Hybrids?

So ultimately that is what we did. I liked the styling of the Fusion better than the Camry and even the 200H. The Prius is a different class of car altogether. The Prius is an entry level/small car (think like a Corolla) whereas the Camry, Fusion, etc are mid-sized cars. (We did drop by to look at a Prius when testing the Camry....but the interior and overall car seemed to be in a lower league than the Camry/Fusion/other mid-sized cars). Not that there is anything wrong with the Prius.....it just wasn't what we were looking for.

The exterior of the Fusion has more appeal to me than the Camry, but once again, that's subjective.

I THOUGHT that the dealers might try the whole MSRP+Premium "for it's awesome hybridness", but at the end of the day We paid about $3K under MSRP for a red Fusion (Rapid Spec 502A) with black leather interior and Nav, spoiler, etc. Price was $31,094 Sticker was $34,170. Couldn't get a better price from AMEX on that.

I also had to order an Escape Limited Hybrid (will be in in about 5 weeks). Steel Blue over stone leather, nav, running boards, etc. Price $34,215 Sticker $36,535. Not quite as much off MSRP, but the Escape Hybrids are fairly hard to find around here. Especially in the color combo, with leather and nav that I wanted.

But, Vegas....I do feel your "touchy feelyness" towards the environment. I figure that we live very excessively and every little bit we do to balance that means something. I'm not as worried about fuel economy as I am having a partial-zero emission vehicle. Getting higher fuel economy is just a bonus for paying more for P-Zero.

BTW, my wife has been able to get 60mpg on short trips. I drove the car the other night about 40 miles and the readout said I average 49.8mpg. Not too shabby for a car that size. Her last tank was 40.83 mpg avg over the tank even with as cold as it has been here the past couple of weeks and the fact she makes a bunch of little 3-4 miles trips in which the car barely gets warmed up.....hand calculated. So far I've been impressed with the Fusion Hybrid. I can't wait to get my hands on the Escape and play with it some too!

Last edited:
I need a new car for my torturous long commute from my bedroom to my home office. Any suggestions?

I was thinking the Ferrari 458 or the new McLaren? :confused: :tongue: :biggrin:

How about these:

Ferrari_Gentleman_Slippers.jpg

How about these:

But, but, but.....what if he gets into an accident on the way to the office? Never know about those stray furniture legs, gonna need more protection than those offer! Something like this will work...

oferta-zapatillas-puma-ferrari-nuevas-a-solo-s-14010687610_3_2010726_10_43_38.jpg

Wow, ok went CT200H shopping. They are charging MSRP but are all sold out. So either a $3K premium or drive an imaginary car. Hmmm. Maybe I need to just hang on to the MDX for a while.

Wow, ok went CT200H shopping. They are charging MSRP but are all sold out. So either a $3K premium or drive an imaginary car. Hmmm. Maybe I need to just hang on to the MDX for a while.
+1

Timing doesn't seem right and you don't *really* need a new car just yet. It would be different if this was a dire need situation.

I still say Fusion Hybrid. $3K below MSRP.

Vegas,
What timely discussion. I recently traded in my IS300 for a used Prius. I really enjoyed the IS300 and at the time of purchase, was an ideal fit/function for my driving enjoyment and small family. Move forward 6 years: 4 bambinos, soccer practices, martial arts classes, birthday parties, frequent out of town travel for work, $4.39/gallon premium gas: my needs changed. The thing that pushed me over the edge was when the shops quoted $3500 to have what I consider routine replacement and maintenance done on the IS300.
Found a Gen 2 Prius at a dealership and traded in the IS300 + $4k for a 3 year newer Prius with less mileage.
I've had it for a month now and the issues about crosswind and boring blandness is all true. However, boring blandness is good when driving to a mundane function in safety and comfort with the kids. My gas mileage first started out at 46 MPG, but has improved to 49 within a few tanks of gas. I guess I'm learning to drive the Prius more efficiently or it's the warmer weather... or a combination of both.
In my calculation, I'll be saving ~$12k over the span of 6-8 years that I plan on primarily driving the car from gas and insurance alone. And since the IS300+repair cost roughly equaled the cost of purchasing a newer vehicle with less mileage, I figure I came out about even without additional up front investment if I had purchased a new vehicle. Oh yeah, and durability shouldn't be an issue, this guy has over 330K miles on his 2009 Prius!
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/79235-299-999-mile-club.html
Yes the Prius is more of an appliance than a car, but it makes me appreciate how special the NSX is. It about having the right tool for the right job.

Cheers and happy trails,

Back