• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track Cams

Anyone have one of these Hero go-pros with experience to share, or have a recommendation for a quality in-car video system?

The quality of the 5mp go-pro doesn't look so hot on their sample video page at full screen; of course perhaps I am just being too picky for $189... but I suspect I would get it and not be happy with it.

Is their any middle ground between these El Cheapo's and the expensive $700-$1100 pro systems from ChaseCam, Motocam, RaceOptics, and the like?

John, I assume you've digested all the threads on ApexSpeed; the latest one is http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31717 And did you see this one here 2 days ago?

If yes to either of these, you know my opinion/history/disclosure.

Now I will add that I may think differently after we go racing this weekend; I liked the original one for what is was (except it had a somewhat narrow field) and this will be my first use of the wide angle 2nd gen unit.

But bottom line if you think you'll be too picky, you're proably right. :wink:

John, you won't be happy. I have an original GoPro which I believe the new one is the same but with just a wide angle lens.

The quality of the video is acceptable. However....

1. The battery consumption is just plain atrocious. I tried regular batteries, niMH rechargables and Engerizer Lithiums. The latter were better, but none would last more than 2 x 20 min sessions. This was unacceptable as it meant $20 in batteries a day at the track.

2. The sound sucked - big time. The camera has two settings - low and high. High only records wind noise and vibration. low records almost nothing. I tried with the camera sealed, open, with a small hole drilled in the case with accoustical foam stuffed in it. Didn't matter... until they offer and external mic jack don't count on audio unless your windows are rolled up and the camera is mounted on something other than the rear window. Mounting on the window in our cars just causes it to pick up the vibration.

3. Sometimes is worked and sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it recorded the whole session, sometimes it cut off after a couple of minutes.

4. The user interfaced sucked and was hard to read when you are trying to start it while waiting in line to pit out.

For $150, I bought an Apttek 1080p High Def video camera and soldiered in an external mic jack. Added a $30 wide angle adpater lens and am extreemly pleased. As well, I have yet to see any other kind of HD chase cam, etc yet one for under $200.

GoPro sample:

http://vimeo.com/2381306

Aiptek sample:

http://vimeo.com/2023604

John,

I know the owner of GoPro.

For the price, their durability and mountability, they have found a great niche where you can hang them off the outside of your car and not be too worried. For pure in-car footage, their is a awesome $200 HD video camera available that is the size/shape of an I-pod. I forgot the manufacturer, but it's amazing. I think this would be a better fit for in-car only video (in terms of sound, and picture) - it's in H-fricken-D!!!

But I wouldn't mount it outside the car.

Captain:

The new GoPro wide angle has different internals that is far more efficient and lasts 2.5-3 hours on a set of LITHIUM ION BATTERIES. -GoPro only recommends Lithium Ion batteries in their original one, but V1 only lasts ~50 minutes on a set of batteries. Any re-chargable or 'cheaper' batteries won't last 50 minutes and dont work well atall in extreme cold climates.

Old V1 can only use a 2GB SD card = ~50 mins as well.
The New Wide-Angle camera can use a 4 (and I think 6GB) card for ~3 hours of video.

Set sound on Low, and it should be okay for mounting outside the car. If you mount it inside, remove the white weatherstripping to get more sound.

If the batteries are dead, they will only record a few minutes. I got in the habit of replacing the 2GB SD card and batteries after every 45-50 mins. The new wide angle is much better.

If my needs were purely in-car, I would get an HD camera. But since I need to look at suspension articulation, wheel travel, mount the camera in bizzare/high hazard areas (I also use it for in-car to view line/shifting of students) but as a whole, they serve my needs.

CL65 Captain has different needs and the HD cam is a better fit. With that in mind, think about what you need/will use it for, but if you're creative and want some pretty badass angles, the GoPro is hard to beat.

E-mail me or give me a ring Captain or John if you have any questions on them/need help setting up the 'setting memory' feature and others.

Oh, i belive the V1s can be updated to take 4-6GB SD cards as well...

Billy... my two biggest gripes with the GoPro were battery life and sound. My Aiptek HD will run 4 hrs (easily 4x 20 min sessions + pit time, etc) on one rechargeable Li battery and it has a LCD screen that is constantly on while recording - not sure why the GoPro sucks so much juice when it doesn't have a screen.

I like the new wide angle lens. If they did fixed the battery life, then I think it would make a decent track toy. I don't think it would have been that hard to add an external mic jack, wish they would have done it when they redid it for the new Wide version.

My Aiptek also had crappy sound and no external jack. It took me $10 in Radio Shack parts and about an hour to rig one by soldiering it to the internal mic wires. The radio shack jack works great - when I plug in my lapel mic (mounted in the trunk for wind noise) it uses that, when I pull the plug it uses the internal mic.

BTW: I will concede that the GoPro does allow unique mounting that other video camera don't.
My GoPro sample video is mounted inside the front bumper.

Last edited:
Great responses. Thanks all.

It sounds like what I suspected: the go-pro would be ideal for exterior mounting on the splitter, or during vehicle development to see things like sway bar motion.

However, for a nice integrated cockpit camera solution say for driver development purposes; I am probably going to want something that is higher resolution, hardwired for power, and ideally has a remote.

Billy, if you can find the model of the HD Camera LMK.

I think am leaning towards finding a nice HD SD Camcorder with the anti-vibration feature.

Speaking of cam setups, does anyone know how Best Motoring does the in-video windows of the pedals and gauges? Do they use multiple cams and then sync the videos?

Great responses. Thanks all.

It sounds like what I suspected: the go-pro would be ideal for exterior mounting on the splitter, or during vehicle development to see things like sway bar motion.

However, for a nice integrated cockpit camera solution say for driver development purposes; I am probably going to want something that is higher resolution, hardwired for power, and ideally has a remote.

Billy, if you can find the model of the HD Camera LMK.

I think am leaning towards finding a nice HD SD Camcorder with the anti-vibration feature.

Two sub $200 HD cameras are the Aiptek HD, and Jazz HD.

The anti vibration cameras don't really work in the car as they are designed to counter big motions (via hand holding) and not small movements via the car and bumps. I have a program called iStabilize that post processes the video and does a good job of smoothing it out. However, the raw footage is still pretty good.

I tried a $1000 Canon HF100 and it was only slightly better, but it already has an external mic jack. I would buy the Canon if you were going to use it alot for other things also besides track videos.

Last edited:
Speaking of cam setups, does anyone know how Best Motoring does the in-video windows of the pedals and gauges? Do they use multiple cams and then sync the videos?

No, they probably just use multiple bullet cameras hooked to a video processor, then out to a DVR.

david_scheme.gif

Here are some examples of systems which offer this functionality:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._mxl_pista_with_david_video_interface_feature
http://www.datatoys.com/products/Products-Video_Processors/c9_3/index.html?osCsid=2f7467aa07b9c35e2511e782d29cb2e4

Note, these can be easily $2500-$4000 video systems when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
OMFG...John is finally taking my suggestion of buying a cam instead of doing random useless stuff like moving the battery to the passenger seating area or rewiring the whole car to save weight.
Its Armageddon!!

Congratulations John, now you can catalog on video why you are slower than I am.

And, on a more serious note...I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I've been needing some sort of nice in-car cam for a while.

Last edited:
OMFG...John is finally taking my suggestion of buying a cam instead of doing random useless stuff like moving the battery to the passenger seating area.

Umm. That's my box for my cool shirt. It just looks like a sealed battery box.

rolleye0012.gif

Congratulations John, now you can catalog on video why you are slower than I am. And, on a more serious note...I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I've been needing some sort of nice in-car cam for a while.

LOL.

Spent some time, and found this today, new product will be available mid-match from AIM... the smarty cam:

http://www.smartycam.com/index_eng.htm
http://victorylanedata.com/smartycam.htm

Ball park price is $800-$1000 which is obviously back up there, but it does offer data-overlay which is certainly nice.

It has integrated gps and an onboard 3-axial accelerometer which gives you position, speed, acceleration, laptime, distance, and track mapping out of the box. Plus, you can get the rest of the data by tapping into the stock ECU harness with a provided ECU bridge adapter, or simply plugging it into your AIM logger.

You want to go in with me and split one?

Last edited:
Thanks John. Looks like this will have to wait until I make partner. :D

No, they probably just use multiple bullet cameras hooked to a video processor, then out to a DVR.

david_scheme.gif

Here are some examples of systems which offer this functionality:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._mxl_pista_with_david_video_interface_feature
http://www.datatoys.com/products/Products-Video_Processors/c9_3/index.html?osCsid=2f7467aa07b9c35e2511e782d29cb2e4

Note, these can be easily $2500-$4000 video systems when it's all said and done.

Re: Go Pro wide angle

Now I will add that I may think differently after we go racing this weekend; I liked the original one for what is was (except it had a somewhat narrow field) and this will be my first use of the wide angle 2nd gen unit.
The wide angle is just the ticket; on the roll bar just to the right of the helmet, it picks up everything from the shifts, tach, steering inputs and the cars ahead spinning/hyrdroplaning in the puddles at Infineon.

And as for batteries, I might add the NiMH rechargable batteries with charger from Radio Shack have worked just fine for me.

I have the new GoPro and the main issue is the lens is toast in just a few sessions from rocks chipping the lens. I notified GoPro and they sent me a new one (for free) and said they are working on a solution. As for now I don't want to use it because 1 weekend and it's ruined. Battery life is still sub par even with the specified batteries. Last about 1 1/2 hours.

Overall for the price, the picture and sounds aren't bad. The picture isn't much different from the chase cam or some of the others i've seen (until the lens gets messed up) The Chase cams and other have a replaceable protector lenses.

Hope this helps!

I just got the 6" suction cup mount from filmtools.com yesterday. While I don't plan on going to the track any time soon I imagine it could be a good option for someone that already has a camcorder. I guess it depends on where you plan to put the camera.

I haven't tried it out yet but I will soon. :smile:

I have the new GoPro and the main issue is the lens is toast in just a few sessions from rocks chipping the lens. I notified GoPro and they sent me a new one (for free) and said they are working on a solution. As for now I don't want to use it because 1 weekend and it's ruined. Battery life is still sub par even with the specified batteries. Last about 1 1/2 hours.

Overall for the price, the picture and sounds aren't bad. The picture isn't much different from the chase cam or some of the others i've seen (until the lens gets messed up) The Chase cams and other have a replaceable protector lenses.

Hope this helps!

Go to a hobby store and buy a small thin sheet (8.5"x11"x0.025") of lexan and precut small sections for track days where you can swap them out each run.

You may want to start out a little thicker and then experiment from there. I wouldn't use acrylic since that will shatter whereas lexan is more ductile and even stronger.

Sometimes, Lowes or HD will also have thin sheets of Lexan too (obviously thicker than 0.025"), but you will have to find scraps or buy in a large sheet.

Dave

Last edited:
sorry, I have not read the thread in its entirity, but if you are looking for a very easy and affordable way to capture cockpit driving, I bought a $15 tripod, mounted my $120 Canon Power Shot SD1100 IS behind my passanger seat. I used a bundy cord, wrapped it around the headrest and the tripod.

worked great for me! Only problem is, turning around to start/stop/play/record video. My 1gb memory stick recorded 15 minutes of video.

I angled the camera so that I could see straight thru dash and also view my rear view mirror, steering wheel and my gauge cluster.

turned out very well for me

I used it Sunday and recorded over 40 minutes of video.

I just got the 6" suction cup mount from filmtools.com yesterday. While I don't plan on going to the track any time soon I imagine it could be a good option for someone that already has a camcorder. I guess it depends on where you plan to put the camera.

I haven't tried it out yet but I will soon. :smile:

if you do not mind, please keep us posted! Id love to hear about it

Just the thread I was looking for. I bought this:

ATC5K_Back.jpg

And quickly found out it isn't quite what I am looking for. Then I saw these:

VIO-MAIN.jpg

And they look a lot better, but not too cheap. Here is their website. Has anyone used them? they get great reviews but are not HD.

CL65 captain can you please elaborate a bit more on the microphone thing? what is involved? you took the unit apart? It has an odd shape. I much prefer something with a bullet shape. After reading this thread and seeing your two videos, I am thinking it is worth it to go HD.

I just use a Flip video and take my laptop with me to download the vids to make room for the next run.

I just use a Flip video and take my laptop with me to download the vids to make room for the next run.

Flip has an HD unit, is that what you have? How do you mount it?

I just bought this from Amazon for $200:
http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-Action..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0C29B19JKW6VWSPVS76A

It's got an external microphone port as well as image stabilization (but won't be perfect I'm sure). I also got the wide angle lense for another $30.
Dave

That looks like the same unit some of the Porsche guys were using this past weekend with the wide angle lens. I was going to buy one too and try it out.

Post up a video when you get a chance I'd love to see that one in action.

I am using the Aiptek HD which has a fixed lens. I tried the Action HD, but the auto zooming function doesn't mesh well with track driving. It kept going in and out of focus.

I then bought a Sunpack 0.45 wide angle lens that goes on the front of it. It sticks on with a magnet which lasted one lap before it flew off. Now, I have it secured with the magnet and wrapped with electrical tape. :wink: Works great!!!! I am using a 8GB SD card and one spair battery will last all day at the track. I also opened it up and modified it with a Radio Shack jack where I can plug in a lapel mic which I have run to the trunk (exhaust noise and no wind noise). :biggrin:

Back