• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trade in offer that made me run...

So, I stop by the local Honda/Acura dealer as it appears my '92 NSX needs a new alternator. While at the lot, I take a peek at the S2000. I thought I'd run a few numbers for the heck of it.
So, the Honda guys run down and take a look at my NSX. Granted, she's got 102,000 miles, the leather seats show their 14 years of age and use, the paint on the black roof has some fading spots, and the headliner needs to be replaced....but they come telling me they've got good news. They'll give me $9000 for it if I go for the S2000 at $37,000....leaving me responsible for $28k to take the S2000. Of course, I say no way. Then they ask what it would take for me to make the deal today....my immediate thought was another $10k somewhere between the trade-in and the price of the new car to at least get me to think about it. Would someone please confirm that I am not the one smoking crack.

Bill

Well, in Southern California, you can get a S2k close to invoice price. As for you car, can't really say, because the condition is subject to individual interpretation. Of course a dealer will not give you as much as private party, but 9 grand is way short of what it is worth. Unless it's a salvage title.

it seems that wholesale trade in and retail are worlds apart on the nsx.
I bought a 96 with 50k miles for 35k
Wholesale was 30k
I could not find a better offer at the time.
I really wanted a automatic so my choices were even more limited.

I say try to sell it on your own.

wildbill846 said:
S2000 at $37,000

Is that what an S2000 costs? If they are that much, you should look into the used market and take about ten grand off that price and get a year old model.

schuey1010 said:
Is that what an S2000 costs? If they are that much, you should look into the used market and take about ten grand off that price and get a year old model.

Well, that what is was after taxes and all the other little stuff (to include the bogus $895 "paint protectant" and "leather treatment"---figure I could wax the car myself for less than that), but that was also my point. He wasn't making a deal on either side...full MSRP of 34,500 on that side and the little trade in on the other.

Last edited:
wildbill846 said:
my immediate thought was another $10k somewhere between the trade-in and the price of the new car to at least get me to think about it. Would someone please confirm that I am not the one smoking crack.
You're not the one smoking crack; they're hoping you'll trade in the car at an unrealistically low trade-in value. Even at $19K (and even considering the high mileage and not so great condition), you're giving the car away.

If you want to consider selling your car and buying another, consider the purchase and the sale as two separate transactions. Figure out what your car is worth on the market, and shop around for the car you want to buy. Then, and only then, give them a chance to make you a trade-in offer. If their offer doesn't come anywhere near what you can get for it with a private party sale, even after taking into account any sales tax advantage you get on a trade-in, then sell it yourself (separately, rather than trading it in).

Sounds to me like this dealer is hoping that all their customers are ill-informed. It also sounds to me like this dealer really doesn't want to sell cars to anyone who isn't, and would prefer to rip a few people off on a few exorbitant car sales, instead of making a reasonable profit and growing their business.

wildbill846 said:
Would someone please confirm that I am not the one smoking crack.

You can get an S2000 for under $30K (+taxes and whatnot), sell your car yourself and pocket the $15K+ difference.

Shoulda told the salesperson to quit hogging the pipe.

Shoulda told the salesperson to quit hogging the pipe.[/QUOTE]

:tongue: that's funny. yeah $9K trade-in what a insult

sell it on your own for sure, cars like this and the ITR's have to be sold private, most dealers don't appreciate the cars, they just go off of what their best guess at wholesale is.

Aten't S2000s stickering about $32K? Was this guy on crack or have a "market adjustment" sticker on the car?

I had a dealer in Brooklyn offer me an S2000 for $31K! If you put probably about $2k into your car you would probaby do well with its sale. However, after doing the work, there is no way you would even be tempted to get rid of your NSX!

wildbill846 said:
So, I stop by the local Honda/Acura dealer as it appears my '92 NSX needs a new alternator. While at the lot, I take a peek at the S2000. I thought I'd run a few numbers for the heck of it.
So, the Honda guys run down and take a look at my NSX. Granted, she's got 102,000 miles, the leather seats show their 14 years of age and use, the paint on the black roof has some fading spots, and the headliner needs to be replaced....but they come telling me they've got good news. They'll give me $9000 for it if I go for the S2000 at $37,000....leaving me responsible for $28k to take the S2000. Of course, I say no way. Then they ask what it would take for me to make the deal today....my immediate thought was another $10k somewhere between the trade-in and the price of the new car to at least get me to think about it. Would someone please confirm that I am not the one smoking crack.

Bill

While it sounds like your NSX does need quite a bit of cosmetic work, how they are charging $37,000 for an S2000 is beyond me. Even if your NSX is in rough shape, you could sell it outright for $20,000 all day long. Those guys were just hoping you would jump at getting screwed over on both ends.

wildbill846 said:
Well, that what is was after taxes and all the other little stuff (to include the bogus $895 "paint protectant" and "leather treatment"---figure I could wax the car myself for less than that), but that was also my point. He wasn't making a deal on either side...full MSRP of 34,500 on that side and the little trade in on the other.

EXACTLY!! I would have told him straight out, 'Look...I did not come to own an NSX by being stupid. This deal is insulting. Have a nice day, I am leaving,' and got out of there.

$9k is NSX unrepaired salvage value, and wholesale at that.

Dump the 14K youre getting screwed for in the NSX and give it a second life.

:biggrin:

DutchBlackNsx said:
Dump the 14K youre getting screwed for in the NSX and give it a second life.

:biggrin:

I second that!!! You can do so much more with that money!!!

Sounds like fairly normal car stealer behavior to me. A few years ago, I looked at an 04 Z06 w/500 miles, selling price $45k. I was in my 95 NSX, great shape, 50k miles, and I asked about doing a deal. The best offer from the sales manager was my car + $29k - in other words, full boat for his preowned Z06 and $16k trade value for my car. My one and only counter offer was my car for his, even up. Two can play the "let's insult eachother" game, right? Needless to say, I kept the NSX, then sold it outright for about $35k.

I'll sell you every S2000 I can get my hands on if you're willing to pay $37k.

Back