• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tranny numbers for snap ring failure

Has anyone on the board compiled a list of transmission numbers with snap rings that failed and when they failed? If we can compile enough data, we may be able to see which numbers correspond to when manufacturing bits were changed. I think we would just need the transmission number and the mileage when the car failed. I would expect that ones with the worst grooves would fail earliest. It might be interesting to track this down.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks Big D. I will compile the numbers if they are posted here. I see you have been on the board for a while, what is the best way to reach people about this?

Thanks Big D. I will compile the numbers if they are posted here. I see you have been on the board for a while, what is the best way to reach people about this?

Most people only care about the snap ring issue when they are buying a NSX. If they get a snap ring car and it hasn't failed or been repaired, then they probably don't want to advertise it.

Now for the folks that have done the repair, it wouldn't hurt to participate in this sort of a list but who would vouch for the validaty of the information?

What happens if someone said their snap ring car was repaired and then someone else bought the car and used the list as part of their decision making process and it ends up not being done ...now they have to make the repair themself. Would this list be helpful? Not to insinuate that people on prime are dishonest but hey things happen.

I've been searching around... Can someone explain this snap ring failure issue as I'm looking into an NSX... I hadn't heard about this until today so I'm very curious. And what would I look for?

From the FAQ:

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]What is the infamous "Snap Ring Failure"?

"Snap ring failure" refers to a small metal ring in the transmission that breaks (shatters) as a result of the stresses put on it by an improperly manufactured transmission case. The snap ring itself is not the cause of the problem, just the symptom. There is a groove in the case which is cut too wide on some transmission. This allows the snap ring to twist as the countershaft moves back and forth under load. The more load, the more twist. If the snap ring does twist (like rolling a rubber band inside-out) then it shatters in many pieces.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Which Cars Are Affected?[/FONT]

The snap ring failure is limited to transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978. These transmission numbers are limited to 1991 and 1992 model year vehicles.
[/FONT]

Has anyone on the board compiled a list of transmission numbers with snap rings that failed and when they failed? If we can compile enough data, we may be able to see which numbers correspond to when manufacturing bits were changed.
No, that won't work. The bits were changed numerous times during the manufacturing process, so that the cases went in and out of tolerance throughout the snap ring range of transmissions. And you'll never get anywhere near enough accurate reports to determine exactly which serial numbers will or won't have a problem.

Are you sure? The nature of the problem implies that there should be a roughly equivalent duration to the bit replacement times. I realize that there will be holes in the data, but we have a lot of people on here that owned these cars. Anyway, it was just a thought, I don't see the point in trying.

On the other hand, i have not been overwhelmed with reports, so maybe you are right :)

Since this issue was found on older cars, many of the repairs could have been done two or three owners ago. I think mine was, but wasn't able to get documentation.

Just to beat a dead horse---Bought my car in Jan 2011 ----was in snap ring failure range (wasn't aware of the issue before I bought the car). Once realized---and as per many a Prime member professed---with the car 19 years old--"if the snap ring was going to fail, it would probably have failed by now or the orignal owner may have had the transmission replaced under warranty or fixed by now".
Reality====I started updating all the maintenance stuff that the seller could not provide info on. Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner, Valve adj, Plugs, seals, A/C, Alt belts etc.--Next was the clutch--had a SOS Sport Clutch installed and rear axles rebuilt---. A month later the freakin SNAP RING failed---$1800. According to the "best of the best" Prime NSX Techs--there is no way to predict the failure by looking at the external transmission. So---Probably the new strong clutch put fresh pressure on the intermediate shaft and snap ring which caused the failure as the transmission housing clearly showed the machine work where the failure occured. Bottom line--any NSX within the range can fail at any time with no way to predict what, or when. If the trans was replaced or repaired previously with a new housing and you have the proof, then you are probably OK. Huck
PS America Honda has no interest in supporting the owner with this failure after 19 years.

Huck,sorry to hear bout your snap ring failure, glad you were able to fix the problem, was curious as to the miles on car when you had it went out? And the exact symptoms you felt when it went out so other can learn from.

Huck, sorry to hear it.

If you had replaced the half transmission case and ring at the time the clutch was replaced, you could have avoided the issue entirely. That's the "preventive fix" that may not be worth the labor to do by itself, but it's not much extra labor to do at the same time as a clutch replacement.

Wise advice, and most cost effective, is when is breaks fix it, or if you have the tranny out for some other reason, replace the suspect parts.

BTW, have you seen a failed snap-ring outside the range?

It has happened.........:eek:

Regards,
LarryB

Back