• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tranny Question.

I was reading through the FAQ section and I came across the prices for the different gears available. I saw that the main shaft for the Jap. short gears can be bought separatly from the rest of the gears. Is it possible to only switch the main shaft and then leave the rest of the gears (3-5) stock?
I am saying this because the quotes state that the Jap. short gears actually have longer gears for #3-5 on a 5 Speed tranny.

Thanks

I am saying this because the quotes state that the Jap. short gears actually have longer gears for #3-5 on a 5 Speed tranny.

No, that's not what it says.

What it says is that the gear ratios for gears 3-5 are CLOSER to each other in the stock setup than with the short gears (which makes sense; since gears 1 and 5 are the same in both setups, if 1-3 are spaced closer together with the short gears, then 3-5 are further apart). And because of this, you will get better acceleration in gears 3-5 with the stock setup than with the short gears. But the gears in the short gear setup are still shorter. Check out the gear ratios shown in the FAQ at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/gearratios.htm (The higher the number shown, the shorter the gear.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 08 March 2001).]

Back