• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Transaxle oil change

I decided to do the transmission / differential oil change myself this time. I read the posts in the Wiki and the 1/2 page in the service manual regarding the procedure. Although not stated in the manual, I think its implicit that they intended this to be done on a hoist. The Wiki posts are not clear about this. The one post talks about sliding a catch pan under the drain plug which suggests that the work is being done on jack stands. Because I don't have a hoist and never having done this before I have a few questions for those who have done this 'hoistless':

- Can I get away with raising just the driver's side (I am thinking not because drainage will be incomplete)
- Can I get away with raising just the rear end or will I still have an issue with incomplete drainage. If I have to raise all four corners I have to scrounge another couple of jack stands from someone.
- Is life significantly easier with the driver's rear wheel off - the Wiki posts seem to treat this as an option

The drain is at the lowest point of the differential housing section. Therefore, it should be drained when the car is level.

You also want it level when filling because that's how you determine you've added the correct volume per the SM.

When working under mine, I like to raise it relatively high on the stands. Therefore, for peace of mind, I use six stands and place the other two at strategic locations at the rear of the engine subframe. And, I give the car a bit of a shake too before climbing under. That's just me though....

Because I use the six stands, I pretty much have to remove the rear wheels to give me maneuvering space.

When filling the transaxle, THIS helps if you don't want to rig a fill hose and funnel above the engine bay. I've done it both ways and I don't think one has a clear advantage over the other personally.

Thanks. So its off to scrounge some more jack stands or perhaps this is an excuse to go for a quickjack or something like that.

I already have one of those thumb pump things because I also have a vintage front engine RWD car and with a narrow transmission tunnel that is the only way to do an oil change unless you drop the transmission. 3 liters is a lot of thumb action laying on your back so I think I am going for the funnel and tube solution and let gravity do the work

Nothing to add here just loose the filling screw FIRST before you drain the oil just in case...the screws can be quite 'frozen' sometimes, depending on who torqued them in the past. It's a clear adavantage to have the car on jackstands to give you some room for a long wrench.
Add 2.7 l and see if it needs another 0.1. Funnel/tube/gravity is the way to go, takes only a few minutes.

Car level, take tire off, use a funnel with a flexible hose down to the fill hole.

I just did this.

I often use 4 10"x10" blocks of wood under the 4 tires when I need to raise a car bit, but don't want to fuss with jack stands.

Almost impossible for the car to come off when its in gear and e brake applied.

Although Im not big, it was plenty room to maneuver. I did the bottle pump, took about 1 minute per bottle.

Back