• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trouble shifting - please advise

I have a '91 with 78k miles on it, and lately I've been experiencing some difficulty shifting. The shifting action is feeling really 'notchy', and occasionally (and seemingly randomly), it's difficult to get into first gear and reverse, and out of second and fifth. This seems to happen less often once the gearbox is warm, but the notchiness persists. It shifts perfectly fine with the engine off. I checked the clutch fluid -- the reservoir is still full and the fluid seems ok, maybe the slightest bit dirty.

Is it just time to change the tranny and clutch fluids, or does it sound like I have a master/slave cylinder issue?

It's time to change your transmission fluid, the results will exceed your expectations.

Do some research here on prime.
I would suggest you stick with the Acura fluid.
They have a new one out in the states, I think they say its a "white cap (bottle top)"
If after running 200 miles, you don't notice an improvement, then maybe its time to turn to the GM Mix that many of us have tried.
You can find posts on that as well.
Have fun and enjoy.
Trev

Last edited:
I finally got around to replacing the tranny fluid. Didn't see any leaks around the slave cylinder. The shifting already feels a lot better -- not perfect, and still slightly notchy, but I've only driven about 20 miles.

Ok, but don't keep us hanging man.
What fluid did you use?
Trev

Honda white cap. I got the impression around here that there isn't another kind. :wink:

There are other solutions like the famous GM synchromesh friction modified but it seems that Honda improved their products recently so there is no reason to look elswhere anymore :)

So after a couple hundred miles, my troubles haven't completely gone away. Got my face up under the dash, and sure enough, the master cylinder is leaking. I expect this will fix it, but I'll report back when it's replaced.

Back