• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Trust Google Maps?

There was an accident here the other day that shut down the freeway. A man wanted to get around it. Here's the story:

Man turns to Google for alternate route and rolls vehicle
July 30th, 2008 @ 12:27pm
By Marc Giauque
The ripple effects of a tanker rollover in Davis County are still being felt by many people today, by some more than others.

Salt Lake City police say a 27-year-old man was trying to go north to Bountiful. He pulled up Google Maps on his cell phone to find an alternate route.

Instead of heading home, he ended on a four-wheeler trail somewhere above City Creek Canyon near 5500 East and 1900 North.

Detective Jeff Bedard, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Department, said, "He was about seven miles or so off-road." Bedard said the man eventually rolled his Jeep Liberty.

Bedard says it underscores the limitations of services like Google Earth and Google Maps. He says, "If you look at something from a bird's-eye view and just think, ‘I'm gonna get from point A to point B,' if you're going over the top of the mountain, that's not necessarily gonna be the easiest way."

Police officers and sheriff's deputies came to his rescue. They're also investigating whether he did something illegal.

A lot of other cars became casualties to the backups. The Utah Department of Transportation's Incident Management team responded to seven abandoned vehicles. It also helped 20 drivers who had dead batteries in their vehicle, ran out of gas, or whose vehicles overheated.

UDOT says vehicles like the one in the rollover are typically allowed by their permit to be on freeways, but not during peak time, which is between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. The accident occurred around 3 p.m.

UDOT estimates that stretch of freeway probably carries between 25,000 and 30,000 cars per hour at peak times. A spokesman says the Legacy Highway, which is scheduled to open in September, could cut traffic in the area by as much as a third.

Bummer. I've used Google a few times. It's OK. I usually use MapQuest.

Been screwed a few times with Yahoo.

Half the time the directions I get from GoogleMaps are inaccurate, I have the same issues with MapQuest.

I have been instructed to turn the wrong way down a one way street

The route I was given is far from the most direct, or fastest possible route.

Directions are confusing because they indicate i need to merge onto highways that I do not need to merge on to.

Most of the time i resort to using a hybrid of the Google directions and a standard road atlas.

GPS systems in cars are not much better- particularly Acura. The RL is supposed to have traffic updates, but the Navi routed me straight into the most congested route possible.

So much for faith in technology.

I had the same problem with "Hertz Never Lost" when I was at Disneyland in May. We'd be looking for a place to eat and it'd tell us to turn right out of the hotel parking lot only to make a U turn 4 miles down the road to head back the way we came. The worst though is when we went from our hotel a few blocks from Disneyland to Seaworld. We found Seaworld and set the destination to there. It took us the the San Diego Airport.

Sometimes there is no substitute for a good, old-fashioned map. I use Google earth to verify courses that I've already plotted, or to lead me into more geographically interesting areas. It's a must before a country drive.

Detective Jeff Bedard, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Department, said, "He was about seven miles or so off-road." Bedard said the man eventually rolled his Jeep Liberty.

UDOT says vehicles like the one in the rollover are typically allowed by their permit to be on freeways, but not during peak time, which is between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. The accident occurred around 3 p.m.

WTF? A jeep liberty is "typically" allowed by permit to be on freeways but NOT during peak time? So a Jeep Liberty isn't a "regular" car or something? Wow....

WTF? A jeep liberty is "typically" allowed by permit to be on freeways but NOT during peak time? So a Jeep Liberty isn't a "regular" car or something? Wow....

I read that too. I'm wondering if his was highly modified or something. I'll dig deeper to find out.

Remember when that CNET guy got lost in the woods and died? While there was no evidence that he used Google Maps, it is interesting that the Google Map at the time would've sent him on that road, while Yahoo and MapQuest took a saner path.

kim-m.gif
kim-y.gif
kim-g.gif

Bottom line, always do a reality check before you set out on an unfamiliar road.

Google, yahoo, mapquest it doesnt really matter. None of them will get you to my address and i live on the main street in my town of 8,000.:rolleyes:

I hate it when the pizza guy calls me and tells me that "your house isn't were it is supposed to be" and i have to remind him that is the reason why i gave him directions in the first place for him to tell me that "i have GPS, i don't need directions".:rolleyes:

On a side note, my wife and i were late for her grandfather's funeral because of Yahoo maps.:mad:

Back