• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tsukiji Fish Market?

EK

Experienced Member
Anyone interested in taking an early morning (as in before 4am) trip to the market to get tickets to watch the auction and get some breakfast?
Maybe on our first day Nov 17th? The market is closed on Tue Nov 23rd.

I've been to a number of fish markets throughout Asia and they are really quite interesting.

"...Tokyo challenges Paris and New York as the food capital of the world..."

FYI, San Francisco has more restaurants per capita than any city in the United States.:wink:

The Tokyo fish market is truly one of the wonders of the world. I've been on several occasions and you can count me in.
Literally everything that lives in the sea can be found there -- most of it still alive! (except for the tuna which are cleaned and frozen hard as concrete). I don't eat fish and the smell really bothers me, but the fish at the Tokyo market are so fresh (or alive!) that there is literally no fish smell -- I love it. Great fun.
I usually get there around 5-6 takes an hour or so to see... back at the hotel by 7:30 in time to get cleaned up for the day.

Hello friends,

You must get there at 4:30 for reservation:eek:.
140 people can see this auction.

Market guide
You can get there about 20min. from Shinagawa area by taxi.

Sorry, I cannot join with your group. I will be in bed:wink:.

Regards,
Hirofumi

Anyone interested in taking an early morning (as in before 4am) trip to the market to get tickets to watch the auction and get some breakfast?
Maybe on our first day Nov 17th? The market is closed on Tue Nov 23rd.

From guidance sheet.

All people who would like to watch the early morning Tuna auction from the special observation area are requested to obtain a reservation which can be obtained from the "Fish Information Center". People who do not have a reservation are not permitted to enter the Tuna auction observation area.

Reservations start at 4:30am and operate on a first come first served basis up until the maximum number of 140 visitors has bee reached, after which reservations will finish of that day.

On first come first served basis the first 70 people to make a reservation will be able to visit from 5:00am to 5:40am. The next 70 people will be allowed to visit from 5:40am to 6:15am.

Good luck!

Hirofumi

I am interested in going also. How do we get reservations?

I propose we gather at the lobby of Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa (the headquarter hotel) at 3:55 am on Wed Nov 17th (i.e. the first morning). We'll take a taxi or 2 together. I expect to be back at the hotel 7:30am or so.

We'll all be awake anyway (jet lag) !

I propose we gather at the lobby of Grand Prince Hotel Takanawa (the headquarter hotel) at 3:55 am on Wed Nov 17th (i.e. the first morning). We'll take a taxi or 2 together. I expect to be back at the hotel 7:30am or so.

Good plan. We will see tuna auctioned for more than Kelly BB NSX value!!! :eek:

highly recommend this, its truly an amazing sights to see, the size of those Tuna are unbelievable, the freshes sushi place and catch of the days for breakfast at nearby restaurant, once in a life time experience. make sure you get there before 4am:biggrin: you guys will be wide awake because of the time difference

So, how are we going to assemble for this sojourn to the market?
It's not like I know what any of you look like...except for RSO34 (and I don't think he's going).
Shall we say just meet at the front desk of the hotel at 4:00 AM?
We have to be there by 4:30 just to get a place in line.

Can the OP do a roll call listing in the first post so we know how many people will be going?

Oops

I just noticed the OP's post in the middle of this thread after re-reading it.

Everyone agree to meeting in the lobby at this time?

Oops

I just noticed the OP's post in the middle of this thread after re-reading it.

Everyone agree to meeting in the lobby at this time?

Here's my plan:
We meet at 3:55am in the lobby. Once we have enough people to fill one taxi, that group of people will go. There is no roll call and waiting around because I'm sure some will oversleep and not show up. I'll have handouts of the fish market and hotel name/address in Japanese so you can just show the taxi driver. I would like to get there 10-15 mins before the office open to wait in line.

Here's my plan:
We meet at 3:55am in the lobby. Once we have enough people to fill one taxi, that group of people will go. There is no roll call and waiting around because I'm sure some will oversleep and not show up. I'll have handouts of the fish market and hotel name/address in Japanese so you can just show the taxi driver. I would like to get there 10-15 mins before the office open to wait in line.

No need for handouts, just say: skee-jee to the driver. That's how it is pronounced.

Back