• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

turbo or sc

Im new to the nsx world and looking to ad boost to my car. I am leaning towards a s/c. My main concern is that I dont want have to build my motor to handle a crazy amount of boost. From waht I understand turbo systems produce alot more power so I would have to build my motor to handle this. I want good performance, reliability, and not to have to worry about heat, or any other problems. Any tips? Also looking for a tuner in the Vancouver area. Thanks all!

Go CTSC if you want no worries.

This is a question we get quite frequently since we offer both our supercharger system and our twin turbocharger system for the NSX.

The determining factor is in general the power goal of the customer. The feel of our supercharger system is like you took out the factory engine and put in a 450 hp small block V8. The twin turbocharger system provides smooth power delivery thanks to the twin setup with power delivery that can be anywhere from tame to warp speed.

In general, our supercharger system is better for the customer who wants a forced induction system that will produce around 400-450 hp at the crank, wants instant boost response, does not plan on modifying his stock engine, and wants a system that is somewhat easier to install (takes approximately 14 hrs). The system is very quiet compared to any other supercharger system available.

Our twin turbocharger system is more ideal for the customer who may have plans to modify the engine down the road (the system produces 450 hp at the crank on a factory engine, and is capable of producing nearly 900 hp with engine modification), and is willing to spend a little more on installation (takes approximately 20 hrs. The system is fairly quiet, thanks to the twin internal wastegates, with just a little turbocharger sound (blow off valve, etc.)

Both systems are 100% reversible, requiring no permanent modification to the car, have a long track record of reliability, offer the highest quality best design system whether you choose supercharger or turbocharger and include everything you need, down to the finest detail.

You can find lots of information on our website under "supercharger & turbochargers".

-- Chris

Thanks guys, I was looking at both the ctsc and the sos unit. The comptech says it ads 60-70 hp at the wheels. My car does have headers, exhaust, and cai. I would me more than happy if it ends up with 350 whp with the comptech sc. Is this a dream or do-able. On the other hand the sos kit claims 120-140 hp increase which puts it around 400 hp. For approx the same price why the big difference in numbers? do i need an intercooler or anything else with these kits? thx again!

Thanks guys, I was looking at both the ctsc and the sos unit. The comptech says it ads 60-70 hp at the wheels. My car does have headers, exhaust, and cai. I would me more than happy if it ends up with 350 whp with the comptech sc. Is this a dream or do-able. On the other hand the sos kit claims 120-140 hp increase which puts it around 400 hp. For approx the same price why the big difference in numbers? do i need an intercooler or anything else with these kits? thx again!

With headers, pipes, and exhaust I made 348 whp on the old unit I believe. Les is at 360 whp or so. So yes, it's not a dream.

If u want more power, turbo. If u want less, but reliable bolt on power, go s/c. I don't regret going turbo from sc, though there always seems to be something needed to tweak to keep it running at that high boost level.

In our experience, the Comptech kit produces about 80 whp over factory if a decent header/exhaust is installed (so for example, a 220 whp factory 3.0L would be increased to 300 whp). Our system will produce around 140+ whp - so 360+ whp for example. Keep in mind that comparing "wheel horsepower numbers" they vary from dyno to dyno. So, one owners results will vary from another. Best way is to measure power gained by performing a baseline test, then retest once the system is installed.

The CT and ScienceofSpeed systems are very similar with the exception of the supercharger used and fuel strategy. CT uses a 1.6L twin screw producing ~6 PSI, we use 2.1L twin screw producing ~ 9 PSI. The fuel system (rising rate fuel pressure regulator, injector pulse width modification, and voltage booster) used by CT requires the car to be dynoed after (and small changes to the fuel pressure regulator can be required depending on flow of the particular engine/exhaust). Our system (fuel and ignition controller, new fuel pump, and new fuel injectors) is more advanced. The engine management system is pre-loaded with a calibration for the supercharger. It does require a tuner to spend a couple hours on a dyno to fine tune the system for your particular engine/exhaust. CT's fuel strategy is appropriate for the intended use - especially for California CARB exemption. Since our system is more advanced with ignition control, it allows the engine to run at a more ideal air fuel mixture. Our system is priced comparably and I think pretty fairly for all that you get.

There are some good shops in your area that could handle the installation and tuning. You may wish to consult in the regional forums below. Shoot us an e-mail if you need any help.

As a side note - the factory fuel pump definitely wears faster in Comptech/CT supercharged cars (probably from the increased pressure and voltage booster). This eventually leads to decreased fuel pump performance which can lead to engine failure (we've repaired two engines from these failures). We do recommend any customer with ANY forced induction system (including ours) to periodically (1-2 years) test the car on a dyno with air/fuel metering to verify operational condition of the fuel system and other components.

regards,
-- Chris

The CT and ScienceofSpeed systems are very similar with the exception of the supercharger used and fuel strategy. CT uses a 1.6L twin screw producing ~6 PSI, we use 2.1L twin screw producing ~ 9 PSI.
In fairness, the Whipple 1.6L units haven't been sold by CT for a long time. The new Autorotor 1.7L units boost at 7lbs but who's counting :)

Back