• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tyep R conversion or no?

Hi guys, so I'm in the middle of a full interior refresh on my '91 manual black/ivory, and I'm really debating whether to replace the factory ivory carpet and leather seats, or go full Type-R interior with the red carpet, Recaro's, etc. (and an exterior '02+ conversion) I've already replaced the saggy leather inserts in the doors w/ Alcantara (I'd highly recommend this to anyone)... I can post some pics if anyone wants.

But what I'm looking for is opinions and prior experience. I'm wondering what kind of interest there is for a black on red '02+ Type-R conversion, or a '91 black on ivory w/ new interior since either way after its complete I'd like to sell it and start a new project.

I've done every single one of those things. It's expensive... I always don't recommend 02 conversion bc it's cheaper to sell and buy an 02 but the interior isn't usually hard if you start with black interior. Since you have ivory I would really not recommend it. And since you're selling, I definitely don't recommend any of it bc you will lose money by making your car less original. Easy decision.

Recent history suggests the further you take your car from stock the smaller the number of potential buyers.
A fake 02+type-r replica will have less appeal than a stock 91 in prime condition.
It seems that smaller market is made of younger buyers more attracted to the modified versions.
Smaller market means less demand and lower price.
Younger potential buyers have perhaps less money to spend so again lower price.
I think that's why most mods tend to generate less than 50% back on the parts and nothing for the labor.

Thanks or the input, those two comments were basically what I was looking for. I've had it for nine years now and before I sell it I'm still going to make it as nice as it can be but to sock spec's.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll still have Comptech coilovers w/ Koni adjustable shocks and Comptech short shift kit
RPS single plate billet clutch + flywheel. (New Acura slave cylinder, clutch dampener, and master cylinder)
Momo Tuner (NSX-R) Steering Wheel - also have original steering wheel and air bag.
Seibon carbon fiber NSX-R Wing w/ brake LED
Transmission is not within snap-ring range
Timing belt / water pump done for the 2nd time (just because they already had it all taken apart to check) @ 75k miles

Tell your friends! :)

Back