• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type-S Announced

I hope you are right about the regional reps being such astute gate keepers...and they all communicate such that all "accepted" orders will get a car...

Doesn't work that ways.... The District mangers are the ones that submit orders. They are the ones that know if a particular dealer meets the requirements to place an order for an NSX, so they are the ones that prevent all of the hail Mary orders from their district. There are about 270'ish or so ACURA dealerships of which some have never even sold an NSX...

Does not work that ways... ACURA are closely looking at these types of things...If a buyer backs out (after the build is submitted), it goes to the NEXT person in waiting that will ACCEPT that configuration... With 299 cars and over 400+ orders I doubt that scenario would likely occur.

The only way this car will sit at a dealership is if the OWNER of the dealerships orders it and puts it for sale.

For context, when the Gen 2 came out a Senior person at Acura said during an interview most buyers would wait 3 years for their car.

And we saw how not true that was.

Back to my scenario, the buyer only backs out after the car has been delivered to the dealership (ex. oh gee I can't get financing, and since the $10K to secure the order was really the dealer's money, no loss to the straw buyer), my apologies if I wasn't clear.

At that point the dealership is in possession of the car and do anything they want with it, like put it on the floor with a big mark up.

My experience has been that Acura verifies that the deposit funds come from the individual placing the order. My dealer had to submit a copy of the $10k deposit check, with my personal name and home address on it, as well as a copy of my DL along with the two order forms and that everything (names and addresses) has to match up exactly on everything for the order to be considered. I was also informed that the car could not be sold to a corporate or business entity - it must be sold to buyers in their individual names only. This throws a wrench in my plan to register the car in Montana, but that’s okay. I think people are underestimating the level of scrutiny that Acura is implementing in this process.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda found more Type-S in some remote warehouses if the current strong demand holds.... I am sure they want to cover the cost of the Type-S upgrade at the very minimum.

You are correct... I am curious how many orders will get flagged once ACURA verifies and finds some with discrepancies... I'm guessing that out of the 400+ orders submitted about 5% will have some type of cancellation (buyer backs out, or some other reason etc..)

I'm curious what the ordering process was for the 2017s?

Based on emails with my Salesperson, here are some points

March 2016: Order paperwork and deposit provided to the dealership
April: Order locked and timeline elements shared (no dates)
May: Factory order confirmed
July: Announcement from Acura to dealers of initial shipments
August: Informed that delivery was targeted for Mid-October (this came from a regional rep after asking for an update)
September: Informed that the car was built, and then requested to complete financing documents
October: Received tracker from the factory info, followed by confirmation that the car was received at the dealership and then took delivery

Based on emails with my Salesperson, here are some points

March 2016: Order paperwork and deposit provided to the dealership
April: Order locked and timeline elements shared (no dates)
May: Factory order confirmed
July: Announcement from Acura to dealers of initial shipments
August: Informed that delivery was targeted for Mid-October (this came from a regional rep after asking for an update)
September: Informed that the car was built, and then requested to complete financing documents
October: Received tracker from the factory info, followed by confirmation that the car was received at the dealership and then took delivery

A bit off-topic, but are these NC1 cars shipped from the factory to dealers on an ordinary open-air transport truck with all the other Acuras or are they shipped enclosed?

Closed carrier

The 001 car was delayed a month because Honda hadn't validated the shipping procedure

They started with one company and it wan't perfect and switched to Reliable (they ship the new Ford GT)

Initially they did not wrap the cars and a some point they went with the cloth covers like Audi uses, I seem to recall that Canadian deliveries had these covers early on

At some point they had cardboard over the leather in between the seats and stopped that after leather creases were observed

Closed carrier

The 001 car was delayed a month because Honda hadn't validated the shipping procedure

They started with one company and it wan't perfect and switched to Reliable (they ship the new Ford GT)

Initially they did not wrap the cars and a some point they went with the cloth covers like Audi uses, I seem to recall that Canadian deliveries had these covers early on

At some point they had cardboard over the leather in between the seats and stopped that after leather creases were observed

Thanks. So they are currently shipped enclosed by Reliable?

That is my understanding

We have a owner here who received his car last week, perhaps he can confirm/correct

This is just pure speculation on my part but if I were to guess at how the allocation for the 300 (299 given that no 1 is already sold) might work it may be as follows:

The top 30 dealers get 2 allocations. The next 40 get 1. That takes care of 100 units. Then moving down the remaining dealers (let's say there are another 80 that qualify as NSX dealers) get 1. That accounts for a total of 180 units. Then circle back to the top 70 and give 1 more allocation to each (so top 30 dealers end up with 3 total allocations and 31-70 get 2 total allocations) and now we are at 250 units spoken for leaving just 49. From there maybe Acura will use some other criteria such as the time and date order was received by them to distribute the remainder and a weight factor for the dealer too - or maybe a random lottery type draw. I am basing some of this on what Powdbyrice said about feeling confident about getting 3 total allocations but not 4 and the comment the sales rep I placed my order with about there maybe being a lottery of sorts involved in getting additional allocations.

I don't foresee Acura suddenly changing their mind and increasing the no available from the 350 they announced.

Last edited:
The allocation announcements will be made on 09/0, but will those be for the entire 299 or just the first 100?

It is suppose to be for the first 100 but I would not be suprised if all of them get allocated that day based on how many other dealerships put in orders over their allocated amounts.

my prediction is that after the first few hit the ground there will be numerous aftermarket "nosejob" kits available...

Can anyone confirm that a Type S order is required to be placed in person? I may have found one but, if the above is true, I'd have to fly out to place the order.

WeakestLink: I don't believe it has to be ordered in person. I did my order via phone and email and simply had to print, sign, scan and return the order form and arrange for the $10 deposit.

WeakestLink: I don't believe it has to be ordered in person. I did my order via phone and email and simply had to print, sign, scan and return the order form and arrange for the $10 deposit.

Thanks Kim. I spoke with the GSM and they are willing to take the order over phone/email.

BTW, I was going to order yellow/black but ended up ordering yellow/red. I looked at the configurator after our color discussion and you were right that the red (in alcantara) is more like red and black. Looks good. Sorry I might be ruining your chances of being 1/1 in the color combo but 1/2 is still pretty rare. :biggrin:

Weakestlink: Glad they would do it over the phone for you:) Makes it much easier. And no worries on the color combo. I actually chose the full leather red which makes the seats all red other than the shell but which still gets the rest of the car's interior in red and black.

Weakestlink: Glad they would do it over the phone for you:) Makes it much easier. And no worries on the color combo. I actually chose the full leather red which makes the seats all red other than the shell but which still gets the rest of the car's interior in red and black.

Awesome. So we might each still be 1/1 in our respective color combos. :victorious:

I was surprised at the limited interior color choices...

how is it "guaranteed?

Is anyone out there looking for the TYPE-S? If you want a guaranteed SLOT, I may be able to help you (there will be a market adjustment form the dealer though)

how is it "guaranteed?

My guess is that it's a dealership with an allocated slot that wants such a high market adjustment that nobody filled the allocation order for the dealership...I know of one that wants a $50k markup and last I heard it had not been filled yet.

so then not all allocations are based on having a deposited buyer? ...so who is telling theses dealers they are guaranteed a car?

yes I did thanks again for the repost. Those rules should negate a dealer marking up a car because it should have a deposited buyer attached to it...You sign form give 10k and wait.

Back