• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type-S Announced

Nothing new here

When the LFA came out Lexus was all, we want these cars to go to our customers and be driven

In reality, a bunch of the 17x allocated to the US were going to dealership owners from the get go

After getting my allocation and speaking with the dealer principal he said something like, Lexus has to give the dealers something here to reward participation in the program (really couldn't fault his point), gets to the double speak the manufacturers burp out at us

That is a weak argument. For type S say markup is 20k..I would postulate that when a average size Acura store winds down its book for the year, that markup on the 1 nsx is immaterial..and I would claim that the "pain and suffering" of the retail customer who lost out would be greater..

I agree that the extra revenue at a store is not moving their multicolor mountain up in a meaningful way

Not the point

It's just about the manufacturer giving their actual customer something

Remember we don't buy cars from Acura

The dealer buys from Acura and we buy from the dealer

true ,but in my homer Simpson echo chamber cranium ...its wrong!!!!:wink:

Many folks still buy cheatwagens, audis, porsches, bugattis, lambos, seats, skodas, ducatis after diesel gate and that was way worse (to me)

This is off-topic, but thank you so much for saying this! I often feel like the only person on the planet who will never, ever buy any VW group product because of dieselgate. Not only did they cheat the rules, they went out of their way to cheat in such a nefarious way that the cultural rot had to have been pervasive from the front-line engineers all the way to the top. The whole thing offends me on a visceral level, and it's hard to believe so many people just don't seem to care. If they will lie, cheat, and steal to get around emissions regulations, what makes anyone think they won't lie, cheat, and steal for any other little reason?!

There are quite a few GMs/Owners of dealerships that are doing this... Apparently there is nothing ACURA can do about that, besides frowning :)

I’m just curious but what is your source for this? Call me naive, but I feel that there are more that 300 people that want (and subsequently legitimately ordered) the one year only, final gas powered, aesthetically and mechanically upgraded reliable exotic car that’s still significantly cheaper than a majority of its competitors.

On a separate note, I find it interesting that very few people are acknowledging that Acura hit it out of the park with the Type S. To me, the upgrades are not just incremental changes, they almost change the entire car for me, almost like an entire new model. I don’t say this to disparage the 17-21 cars as my experience with those cars has also been very positive, I say this to say that I feel that there are way more than 300 people that want to open up their wallet for this relative bargain of a never again unique car. Anecdotally, I personally know a half dozen guys that would buy this car for MSRP.

Add me to the list of people disgusted with VW. Never was drawn to the particularly drawn to the brand, as I've owned nothing but Hondas since high school. After selling Hondas for many years against VW beating their chests about their "clean diesels" has left me with zero respect for the company. Now all of a sudden everybody is supposed to forget their criminal corporate activity and buy into their pivot to their electric offerings. Lucky for them plenty of people have very short memories not much concern for the environment.

Remember we don't buy cars from Acura

The dealer buys from Acura and we buy from the dealer

Key phrases here.

And I am one of those who thinks Acura hit it out of the park with the Type S changes. It’s too bad many of these cars will never be driven…they beg to be driven hard…if I owned one, I would drive it…

Key phrases here.

And I am one of those who thinks Acura hit it out of the park with the Type S changes. It’s too bad many of these cars will never be driven…they beg to be driven hard…if I owned one, I would drive it…

me too buddy..but if this were any other supercar these would be incremental /midyear changes...The mike drop is the catalyst...

so to keep this thread going...since my anxiety levels are rising..is my math plausible....top 30 get 2 bottom 70 get 1..130 so far..then all the smaller qualifying dealers who have deposits soaks up another 130 or so..then my big assumption is are the remaining 40 going to become the # 2 allocation for the 31-100 top dealers who have multiple clients???

is the 1 extra off the rule sheet ?....

I feel the same way, so I can understand where you can coming from . Never had so much anxiety buying car (except for the GS F). This is how i am basing my breakup:

1-30 ─ 2 allocated units + 1 Extra = 90 total
31-70 ─ 1 allocated unit + 1 Extra = 80 total
That accounts for a TOTAL of 170 cars.... most likely all Gotham Gray's will be sold to dealers that are in the top 70.

Remaining 129 cars go to dealers from 71-200 (each dealers gets 1 each)

Does anyone have a list of the top 70 dealers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they (Acura) should do the right thing and make sure every smaller store with a tech and proper training gets 1...

they (Acura) should do the right thing and make sure every smaller store with a tech and proper training gets 1...

I completely agree that would be the right thing, and I hope they do it. Dealerships had to make a hefty up-front investment in the NSX, and those that stuck with the program this long deserve to be rewarded.

It would have been funny to have been a fly on the wall the past couple of weeks in the offices where NSX stuff is handled. I think they had to pivot really quickly from "what are we going to do when we get to the end of the year and we've only sold 50 NSX-S's" to "holy crap, how are we going to sort out these 800 orders!"

While they've been relatively transparent about which dealerships will be getting the first 100 allocations, they've wisely left themselves lots of wiggle room in doling out the rest.

haha yep after announcing the Type S on day 3 one of the managers asks "did we get any orders yet" the answer from the front office..."we are gonna need a bigger PMC"

nope...........

I suspect that a large percentage of orders for the S Type have come from prior or current owners of the NC1 who already love and appreciate the car for what it is. I think another strong group comprises people who were thinking about a new NC1 and obviously a limited production S Type at a lower price with many enhancements is may have caused them to pull the trigger on the purchase. And then you have the car collector/investor types for whom any limited production, high end specialty car might be worthy of investment whether they hold them long term or try to flip the car. I personally hope the majority of sales go to people who will actually drive the cars. I recall when Lexus came out with the LFA they wanted buyers to fall into the "I will drive and use the car" category.

Good summary of the buyers. Call me crazy, but I suspect that there are a ton of car collector/investor types that placed orders for the Type S, and is ultimately what caused the Type S to sell out so quickly and exceed the threshold of 300 units here in the US. If so, then unfortunately we won't see too many of these out in the wild. And sooner than later, we'll likely see delivery miles only Type S's on the various auction blocks for those trying to make a quick buck. Kind of sad when you think about it. Myself, I fall in the "I will drive and use the car" category, like most of us here on this forum. I am cautiously optimistic that I'll receive a Type S.

I wish Acura would forget about the whole limited to 350 thing (or at least raise the units to 500), and simply take orders up to a certain time period, say end of September. That way everyone has a chance of owing this beauty. I know it will never happen, but I can certainty dream... Seems crazy to think that if Acura received 400 to 450 legitimate US orders, that they would only build 300 and leave money on the table.

Last edited:
Anyone have any news ?
I haven't had any communication with the NSX team.

I suspect customers with guaranteed orders will be the next to hear from the NSX team. Hopefully within the next week or so. I spoke to One guaranteed customer who hadn't heard anything yet.

My dealer was expecting to be updated today by 3pm EST and he said he did not receive any information on allocations.

Maybe tomorrow …

I have a guaranteed order and have not heard anything. I text my rep daily, I feel bad but I'm excited.

its pretty standard behavior for the NSX team.

For the 17-20 NSX, you place your order, then 0 communication for 3 months, then BAM, your NSX is on its way.

its pretty standard behavior for the NSX team.

For the 17-20 NSX, you place your order, then 0 communication for 3 months, then BAM, your NSX is on its way.

To be fair, you and I had much better communication from them than that on my NSX. But I admit it was a special case!

I believe while we are razor focused on the Type S NSX, that Honda/Acura are thinking long term and big picture. They are closing out a car that will never be again in this format.

The whole auto industry is wondering what will happen as we venture forward pursuing energy efficient cars and trucks. I believe they will take the appropriate path forward.

The current semiconductor shortage is so pervasive that many dealerships are supplying only one key with new car sales. Once the supply chain recovers, they will get clients that second key.

Back