• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultima GTR kills Top Gear record by an astounding 4.8 seconds

British supercar manufacturer Ultima has celebrated its 15th anniversary in style by shattering the lap record on the Top Gear test track.

The record was held by the Koenigsegg CXX, complete with wing, but the Ultima GTR720 stopped the clock over four and half seconds before the Swedish supercar could cross the line.
In order to make the test completely kosher, the Ultima used was fully road legal, with standard tyres, and was even driven to the test track.
According to Ultima’s director, Richard Marlow, the company has approached Top Gear on a number of occasions to let the Stig take the wheel of the GTR but have been repeatedly turned down.
So, with their very own benchmark driver at the helm, the independently figured time for the Ultima is so fast that, in a head to head race with a Ferrari Enzo, the 720bhp GTR would lap it every 12 laps.
He also announced that the British firm wouldn’t rule out further attempts at lowering the record still further, with their more powerful and faster GTR800 variant.
For the record, the Ultima lapped the track in 1:12.8, making the Koenigsegg's 1:17.6 seem positively pedestrian.

4.8 Seconds is CRAZY!!!

topgearlap1.jpg

topgearlap2.jpg

Video available here----> http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/topgearlaprecord.html

For the record the normal 'stig' was not the driver so the time itself doesn't say anything besides the car is extremely fast.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed the fastest even driven by the normal stig though. It appears much smaller/lighter than any of the competition and with as much or more power [720hp].

But I can see why Top Gear might not be as enthusiastic about it, technically it's a kit car and although streetable it's pretty damn close to an actual race car. I really like the car though and would seriously* like to own one.

But I can see why Top Gear might not be as enthusiastic about it, technically it's a kit car and although streetable it's pretty damn close to an actual race car. I really like the car though and would seriously* like to own one.

+1 While I give the car props, its really nothing more than a track only car made road legal for the show. Make it road legal and produce it for the public, then put it on the show, not the other way around.

Why would Top Gear welcome to car to their track, while at the same time The Stig would refuse to drive it? I don't get it.

Or is this basically they just went to the track Top Gear uses all on their own and Top Gear wasn't involved at all?

Or is this basically they just went to the track Top Gear uses all on their own and Top Gear wasn't involved at all?

Thats what i understood of it. Top Gear is not involved in anyway.

I wonder how it does against the FXX..?
As far as read legal or not, who cares. People are not buying GTRs, Enzos, Keonnigs, Carrera GTs... so they can drive to work 12K miles / year.

The only important thing is it's unequivocally fast.

I wonder how it does against the FXX..?
As far as read legal or not, who cares. People are not buying GTRs, Enzos, Keonnigs, Carrera GTs... so they can drive to work 12K miles / year.

The only important thing is it's unequivocally fast.

True, except for a couple small details. All the cars you listed above are big in size and have already proven themselves to take crashes very well. The closer you get to the point when money doesn't matter the more safety does. I don't know if I'd want to take a weekend drive in a little Ultima with a significant other knowing how puny the car is.

Maybe it crashes well, but even to assume that is probably unrealistic. In its defense, it still has a/c, heater, electronics, etc. so they aren't ariel atoms which top gear DOES test. I see some conflicting interests there..

Maybe it crashes well, but even to assume that is probably unrealistic. In its defense, it still has a/c, heater, electronics, etc. so they aren't ariel atoms which top gear DOES test. I see some conflicting interests there..

Good point on the testing of the Atom, but then again from a design perspective, the Atom is so out there in looks, that I for one would want to test it as well if I was on the show. The Ultima GTR for what its worth looks like a weekend car guys version of a Prototype race car. Nothing really ground breaking from the "looks" standpoint. But thats just me.

True, except for a couple small details. All the cars you listed above are big in size and have already proven themselves to take crashes very well. The closer you get to the point when money doesn't matter the more safety does. I don't know if I'd want to take a weekend drive in a little Ultima with a significant other knowing how puny the car is.

c'mon, a car is a car. from your logic you can staight up rule out the miata and lotus elise as cars. (wait a minute.... they aren't :tongue: )

fact of the matter is, it goes around the track faster, period.

I can't understand why the test was not performed by Top Gear. But lets face it Top Gear is all about money and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if this was the reason behind Top Gear's absense.

By the way I am currently involved in an Ultima GTR build. We received the crate off the ship Tuesday. Our engine is a LS7 with a GT2 inverted transmission. I can confirm 2 things to date, its small almost wider than long and it lacks creature comforts. However, it is a race car that passes street specs, kinda. We intend to enter it in Silver States next year. Not to win anything just to have fun.

I can't understand why the test was not performed by Top Gear. But lets face it Top Gear is all about money and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if this was the reason behind Top Gear's absense.

By the way I am currently involved in an Ultima GTR build. We received the crate off the ship Tuesday. Our engine is a LS7 with a GT2 inverted transmission. I can confirm 2 things to date, its small almost wider than long and it lacks creature comforts. However, it is a race car that passes street specs, kinda. We intend to enter it in Silver States next year. Not to win anything just to have fun.

I don't understand either though I listed some feasible explanations above. My friend is a civil engineer and we are actually considering this project down the road. We went through the costs in great detail last night. What do you expect your final $ figure to be with the LS7 setup (did you order an engine through their source or just get a crated LS7?)?

We used a 7.0 LS7 675 hp @6000 rpm, 590 ft. lbs. torque @5300 rpm, 11.0 comp. which was was a custom build for us by American Speed.

http://www.amerspeed.com/scgi-bin/showultimaengines.cgi

Porsche G50-03 transmission inverted. Porsche out of Germany supplied the stock transmission which was rebuilt by some very skilled locals.

Of course many other considerations and costs. Our wives would kill us if they ever find out that we expect to spend around $75-80K give or take a few unknowns. Its a project we both wanted to do for a while so we went for it.

My suggestion if your serious about doing the project is to get online. There are quite a few helpful people willing to spend their time explaining things.

that car is unreal fast!!:eek:

PERFORMANCE FIGURES FOR ULTIMA GTR720

0-60mph

2.6secs

0-100mph

5.3secs

30-70mph

1.8secs

0-100mph-0

9.4secs

100mph-0

3.6secs

Standing ¼ mile

9.9secs @143mph

Top Speed

231mph (gearing limited)

Skidpad (200ft)

1.176g

NOTE: Performance figures independently verified by official Guinness book
of world records timekeepers Datron Technology using GPS timing gear
during successful official road car world record runs on road tyres.

The only cars that are on the Power Lap board on Top Gear are production street-legal roadcars, not kit cars or racecars.

6:55 seconds for the radical SR8 roadcar.

956 race car still holds the qualifying record at 6:11.13, race record 6:25.91

Overall Qualifying Lap Record
6:11.13 - Stefan Bellof, Porsche 956, pole-position for 1983 1000 km Nürburgring (202.073 km/h)
6:16.85 - Jochen Mass, Porsche 956, runner-up qualifier (and winner) in same event (199.005 km/h)

OfficialRace Lap Record
6:25.91 - Stefan Bellof, Porsche 956, 1983 1000 km Nürburgring
6:28.03 - Christian Danner, March-BMW 832, Formula 2, 1983 Eifelrennen (193.272 km/h)
7:04.00 - Uwe Alzen/Arno Klasen, Porsche 996 Turbo, Castrol-Haugg-Cup 2003 (bettered by about 15 s during videotaped VLN races on 24.4 km track)

My dream car nothing beats it not Mclaren not Veyron, It is faster than the unofficial time of 0-60 2.6 and top speed 251mph, this number came with one gear left 1700rpms with more boost available.

More info

http://www.flat-6.org/forum/showcar.php?do=view_page&car_model_id=70&article_id=227

I think it is right that Top Gear don't count it, as it is a kit car even though Ultima can provide one ready for you. It is unfair to simply call it a race car for the road though, as it is designed as a road going car.

I am pretty sure it is driven by one of the Stigs. People seem to think there is only one, when of course there are many due to work constraints. Most of them race in current high profile GT race series.

With Plans Motorsport's involvement it does very much suggest a Stig was involved as one of them has driven our NSX thanks to them.

Congratulations to Ultima anyway, whatever people think, it's still VERY quick!

Back