• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unable to shift to 1st gear and 2nd gear why?

Just cruising along night time then hit a stop light. I engage to 1st gear and it was hard to shift. but I still managed to shift. Good thing im already almost in my compound. then I did a test stop.

damm my car wont shift to 1st and 2nd or even 3rd gear. :confused:

Then I managed to pushed thru that 1st gear and able to drive back and park it in my garage.

When I pushed thru that 1st gear it was extremely hard.

My clutch is been replaced 10K miles ago ( per previous owner. )

also I feel that my clutch is kinda soft. when pushed.

what could have cause this problem?

did a search and this came up but just wanna double check with nsxprimes.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080930090327AAwOMIk

Last edited:
Sounds like an issue with the clutch disengaging. Check the fluid level, perhaps it is super low and now has air in it. Almost sounds as if the slave cylinder came loose, or the hose ruptured.
Could be very simple, could be complex.

Miner

Sounds like an issue with the clutch disengaging. Check the fluid level, perhaps it is super low and now has air in it. Almost sounds as if the slave cylinder came loose, or the hose ruptured.
Could be very simple, could be complex.

Miner

If ever there is air in it how can that be removed? by just adding fluid?

I'll go check tommorrow everything uve said. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a slave or master cylinder leaking. You may be able to add fluid to the clutch master cyl. reservoir to get the car to the shop. If the master cylinder is leaking your carpet under the floor mat will be wet with fluid. If that is dry, take a look at the slave cylinder.

Do this:

1. Open the front hood.

2. Check the fluid level in the clutch master reservoir. The clutch master reservoir is the small reservoir on the outside of the firewall on the drivers side. (The large reservoir sits on top of the brake master cylinder.) Open the cap and look at the fluid. Is it dark in color? Is the fluid low or completely empty? If it is dark that is an indication of the seals in the master deteriorating.

3. If the fluid is not at the full line, it's gone somewhere, it doesn't evaporate! Move to the inside of the car on the drivers side and pull the carpet back from under the clutch, brake, gas pedal. Is the area under the carpet wet with brake fluid? If so, you need a new "clutch master cylinder". Clean the brake fluid from under the carpet and replace the master cylinder.

4. If not, jack up the car and check the clutch slave cylinder which is attached to forward part of the transmission. Look at the bottom of the transmission where the transmission attaches to the engine. Look for wet fluid....brake fluid.

5. Let us know what you find.
Brad

Had the same problem recently, and I changed out my clutch master and slave cylinders as well as clutch lines. They were all leaking a bit.

Hydraulic system issue (slave or master cylinder or associated hose/connection). Only 1% of problems "with the clutch" have anything to do with the clutch.

Heres what ive found so far. I think all my fluid are ok. except for the reservoir.

Ive check the under carpet. Yes a lil bit wet, Ive wiped it off with my hand coz I think the carpet is screwed in place. so I just swipe underneat.

Now I press on the clutch ( engine running ) clutch is almost dead. No tension whatsoever, No feel, just drop down like Air when pressed.

I cannot shift to any gear. EVEN reverse. :confused::confused::confused:

So im assuming Clutch failed, Ive talk to Nabil ( first class automotive ) about this situation. He said sometimes the Springs on New set of clucthes dont last. ( well not new but 10K miles put on it) ( ACT brand )

But How am I gonna send this to his shop 3 hrs away? ( West Palm to Orlando )

What kind of Tow truck will be needed? My car is 3" clearance from the ground :((((

Any suggestion on what company I seek for towing?

Sucks really looking forward on this great sunny weekend drive.

IMG00005-20100430-2004.jpg

IMG00006-20100430-2004.jpg

Last edited:
He said sometimes the Springs on New set of clucthes dont last.

You can't shift into any gear because the clutch is not disengaging due to fail of your clutch hydraulic.

This is what has been posted already. If your reservoir is empty your hydraulic system has a leak.

I have never had the case that new springs did not last. Why should they fail if new?

Look for your master and slave as well for the line in the engine bay.

Even a small leak in hydraulic systems leading to fail if fluid is empty...

Heres what ive found so far. I think all my fluid are ok. except for the reservoir.

Ive check the under carpet. Yes a lil bit wet, Ive wiped it off with my hand coz I think the carpet is screwed in place. so I just swipe underneat.

Now I press on the clutch ( engine running ) clutch is almost dead. No tension whatsoever, No feel, just drop down like Air when pressed.

I cannot shift to any gear. EVEN reverse. :confused::confused::confused:

So im assuming Clutch failed, Ive talk to Nabil ( first class automotive ) about this situation. He said sometimes the Springs on New set of clucthes dont last. ( well not new but 10K miles put on it) ( ACT brand )

But How am I gonna send this to his shop 3 hrs away? ( West Palm to Orlando )

What kind of Tow truck will be needed? My car is 3" clearance from the ground :((((

Any suggestion on what company I seek for towing?

Sucks really looking forward on this great sunny weekend drive.

Nice pics but you aren't listening. You don't yet understand how a clutch or the hydraulic system works. Your clutch didn't "die". The clutch has almost nothing to do with your ability to move the shifter between gears. All the clutch do is transmit power from your engine to the rest of your drive train (starting with the transmission) If you aren't careful you are going to give a mechanic thousands of dollars for no reason, which I promise he will gladly take. That doesn't mean your diagnosis is correct. Get a professional to bleed your system and triple check the slave/master cylinder before you buy another clutch.

Last edited:
If your carpet is wet your clutch master cyl. is bad. Have it replaced and the system bled. Probably worth doing the slave cyl. at the same time.

sounds like everyone is dead on about the master cylinder leaking..
i had the problem but on my civic, won't go into 1st or 2nd..when it does, it'll grind..the reservoir fluid was black, looks like it got oil in it..look at the clutch pedal and found fluids leak..replaced both master and slave cylinder, bled the system, top off with more fluid..now it's like new..no more grind, shift smooth..and fluid is clear as can be, like brand new..turns out the master cylinder was leaking, the seal inside were bad leading to the fluid being black..

Had the same thing happen on my old '91... had to replace the Master, then some time later the slave went, and then the clutch hose at the rear sprung a leak. Just save yourself the aggravation and replace all 3 at the same time and learn from my mistakes. lol I doubt the clutch has failed, your last pic of the reservoir is empty you probably sucked some air into the line as well no way it would engage the clutch after that.

I like Nabil, however he is a little too far for me also. I just had my major service done by Dwight at Foreign Auto Tech in Ft. Lauderdale. He is much closer for those of us who live in Palm Beach and AAA can flatbed your car to him.

Give Dwight a call and your NSX will be like new again.

As a temporary solution, fill this reservoir up with brake fluid. Then pump the clutch pedal 20-30 times and try again.

Also, make sure your floor mats arent creeping up and getting in the way of the clutch.

As a temporary solution, fill this reservoir up with brake fluid. Then pump the clutch pedal 20-30 times and try again.

Also, make sure your floor mats arent creeping up and getting in the way of the clutch.

What he said ..... I did this and was able to drive it to Larry B and get the thing fixed. Just carry extra fluid with you by the way its brake fluid

What he said ..... I did this and was able to drive it to Larry B and get the thing fixed. Just carry extra fluid with you by the way its brake fluid

Thanks for all that replied, Yes I did fill it up and pump my clutch I think it took me almost 80+ pump till I get pressure and finally hear some noise that something is moving from the rear.

then I was able to engage my gear 1st 2nd reverse, even drove in my compound stop test. acceleration. gear is changing.

look under the car for more leaking. I do find very small amount of greenish fluid in my garage prolly half a table spoon size leak.

But I think I can drive it to the shop ( I hope ) worst case Tripple AAA will give me tow.

Premier member of tripple A are entitled for first 200 miles towing per year.

I was able to take a complete look under the carpeting.

IMG00008-20100502-1203.jpg

IMG00009-20100502-1203.jpg

Last edited:
replacing the Master and Slave cylinder is actually easier then you think..that link from c-speed shows you exactly what you would need to do..it's just time consuming, that's all..but i understand how you feel about the uneasy of working on it..

good luck nonetheless... oh yeah, here is one of those "while you're at it" situation. Replace both Master and Slave cylinder, when one go the other soon follows..so while you're at it, just do it..save u from having to go back again.

Back