• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial picture thead of 02 front end conversion

Please post pics of your 02 conversion and maybe share a little bit of your experience. I way under estimated this project:frown:.
4723nsx_r-1.jpg

Last edited:
The most cost-effective method of mounting the headlights to your car would be to use these:

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g41313613

You would still need the headlight brackets, and the hood which you already have - these are essentially grafted onto an NA1 bumper, allowing the NA2 lights to fit - you could use this as a temporary solution, or you could have the turn signals filled in by a body shop.

with 'double' turn signals you get this:
attachment.php

with 'filled in' turn signals you get:
5772DSC00651.JPG

Of course any modification done to the nsx should be done the right way, the first time, for minimal hassle - perhaps it would be better to store the parts in a garage while you slowly look for deals online for the OEM bumper, etc. if this is the look you want for your car.

Vendetta said:
I wonder how difficult and how much custom work is involved in making the new headlights fit with the old front bumper?

probably a LOT of work. keep in mind the materials you're working with. the existing bumper is urethene/plastics... and you'll have to graft on a fiberglass upper piece, and have to get those two things to hold together well....

honestly like erik says, you're way better off doing an 02+front full bumper, then modifying that to your desire for shape or lip, etc...

downforce as a full fiberglass 02+ bumper... great fit, and good price... i think even ZERO-COOL is going that route...

Plastic and fibre glass don't stick well together. What you don't see on that picture is that the fibre is starting to come off around the left headlight. That picture was when I'm trying on a GT spoiler on the car. Behind me is Supercars's car (another member who also planning to get the 02 bumper). I've been undecisive about the spoiler. Now I want the NSX-R spoiler again. :biggrin:
Vendetta said:
I wonder how difficult and how much custom work is involved in making the new headlights fit with the old front bumper?

What is up with the baby faces on the back ground ?

nsxsupra said:
Thanks a lot guys. I have learned that no matter how cost effective you attempt to try, the absolute minimum cost for just the front end alone is $4k by the time you are done, parts only. $1600 headlight, $1k~$2k+ carbon fiber type r hood, bits and pieces required to get it to work, etc. The rear, side, will cost additional $2~3k minimum.

What dealer offer best price for brand new 02+ oem front bumper? I like to find out the price than decide which is the best route for me, I am guessing it is at least $1500+ at Acura dealers for upper/lower bumper and lip spoiler.

206400 FACE, FR. BUMPER
205037 SKIRT, FR. BUMPER
205036 SPOILER, FR. AIR

I love the look of 02+ front bumper and I want to keep my original parts unaltered, so I will end up picking up a replica front or brand new oem. Having patience is going to be the hardest part. I had plan of painting the wheels white, but that cost will probably go towards purchasing other parts, so the color scheme will be like this:

12170IMG0012-med.JPG

my question is..
WTH is the "hidden cost" stuff that goes behind the 02 front bumper conversion ?

1. 02 headlights with lighting
2. 02 hood
3. 02 bumper
4. 02 headlight bracket

what else?

NSXchnk said:
my question is..
WTH is the "hidden cost" stuff that goes behind the 02 front bumper conversion ?

2. 02 hood
3. 02 bumper
4. 02 headlight bracket

what else?

1. 02 headlights about ~$1800
my D2S HID kit for 02 headlights- $550. lower quality OEM $900.
high beam bulbs wedge bulbs included.
2. 02 hood. stock OEM $1,200. Downforce $2,500 full carbon. procar's $5,000
3. 02 bumper. OEM bumper $1,600. Foam Core $150. Bumper bracket. $200.
Downforce bumper. made to order only. about $1000
4. headlight brackets. make it yourself, or buy from me $150
5. prep and paint estimate:
Paint $600 bumper. painted hood, or clearcoat $400.
6. Disassembly of factory parts plus installation of new parts.
6 hours min, 9 max.

evof575gtc said:
6 hours min, 9 max.

damn erick... seems like you got this thing down to a science... haha :tongue:

Trust me when i say it's an all day project, if you take a full weekend to work on it, it will turn out right. Rush it and half ass everything you will just spend more time fixing what you messed up on. One of the main tools you will need is a Die Grinder. This will help you out in cutting some parts if you chose to go that route or dish out more $$$ to get the correct brackets.

Erick, Gram, and Myself spent a full day on his install and we can probably turn one out the second time around for probably half the time.

Good luck on those who are heading towards the 02' conversion route....Get all your parts even the little stuff and all your tools onhand before you start.

evof575gtc said:
6 hours min, 9 max.

I always thought there are more parts to it than that.

I wonder, can I use the na1 foam core?

Henry.

nsxhk said:
I always thought there are more parts to it than that.

I wonder, can I use the na1 foam core?

Henry.

i re-used a lot of the old bolts.
theres minor things, but the cost is so insignificant and the effects arent even worth mentioning because there arent any.

you can re-use the 91-01 foam core, but keep in mind the 91-01 bumper is shorter than the 02-05 model. so if you were to "bump" something at 5mph, your bumper would cave in. that foam is to prevent that from happening.

$150 is a small investment to protect a $1,600 bumper.

evof575gtc said:
Do the brackets you have require no cutting or trimming of the headlight bucket?
evo575gtc said:
I would think that the paintwork would cost more, although I dont know how much shops in California charge.
Properly prep plastic bumper with adhesion promoter and flex additive and paint+paint underside and topside of hood+blend color onto fenders. I would guess that to be more than $1000.

evof575gtc said:
6 hours min, 9 max.

so the only internal thing that i would need to replace is the front bumper foam core?

so i assume all the stuff in this link is not a necessity?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...NSX/ScienceofSpeed/2002_headlight_conversion/

thanks

scorp965 said:
I had a hood painted 3 months ago for $600, but it needed significant prep work, and had to be sprayed a second time for a better color match.

I am not sure about the bumper, but I would imagine it wouldn't be much more than a hood (eg surface area is roughly the same).
Not necessarily the size of the bumper, but more the prep work involved to achieve the same durability as OEM standards is what would affect the cost. Also, you had to have your hood resprayed to match? Im assuming all you guys who change hoods, aren't blending color onto the bumper or fenders to achieve a perfect color match? Just "butt matching" the color?:confused:

808NA1 said:
Also, you had to have your hood resprayed to match? Im assuming all you guys who change hoods, aren't blending color onto the bumper or fenders to achieve a perfect color match? Just "butt matching" the color?:confused:

I couldn't leave the car there for the color match, so I left my OEM plastic spoiler - it apparently faded at a different rate (1994) than the front of the car, so there was a slight mismatch in color - I had a new color match taken from the OEM hood, and the hood was resprayed - total was $600.

nsxsupra said:
Just and update and once again, thanks for those who suggested against going the cheap route.

I purcahsed 3 more items at dealer today, Thanks a lot SCA:
OEM 02 upper bumper
OEM 02 lower bumper
OEM 02 bumper absorber
Total: $1662.17 after CA tax.

I figure with OEM parts I don't have to worry about fittment, definitely worth the small price difference.

I started the project last Thursday, as of today, look like I have all the big parts ready. It was an impulsed decision thanks to Vance parking his NSX next to my NSX last Tuesday night and how well Erick's conversion turned out.

That brings the total up to date to $4162.17. Budget for the project is $5k, there is $837.83 remaining for painting and misc items.

Dude!!!

evof575gtc said:
DUDE!
your long time dream is coming true almost overnight.
Thanks, that is too kind:smile:

I am only going with NSX-R front end look without the undertray. Rest of car will remain same for a long.....time. ok, maybe rear taillight and valence, R-Wing and.......:frown:

Vance's NSX contains huge list of genuine type-r parts, 6spd, 3.2L, no short cuts, truely a work of art, I can smoke hookah and look at it for hours. Only Serialnsxer can match it. I think Hac should hurry up and join the party too:tongue:

NSXchnk said:
my question is..

2. 02 hood
3. 02 bumper
4. 02 headlight bracket

what else?

-02 sideskirts
-rear valance
-R-diffuser

Back