• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Used Car Prices on the Upswing

Disagree. 2019s go for that. A certified 2017 should max out around 114k. Right now it seems like a lot of dealers are stuck with 2017s they over paid for and will have to eat by winter.

I agree, some 2017s are asking crazy prices up to and even above $149k. So far the fact that 2019s are dropping significantly below the dealer's pie in the sky prices for 2107s has got to wake them up to reality.

In the end the car is worth what someone will pay. So while your out of the game for this car, someone else might see the price as decent for what they are getting. The car is reasonably loaded, in a popular color with the added benefit of a certified warranty. The warranty alone would add $3500 + to the price.

In the end the car is worth what someone will pay. So while your out of the game for this car, someone else might see the price as decent for what they are getting. The car is reasonably loaded, in a popular color with the added benefit of a certified warranty. The warranty alone would add $3500 + to the price.
Yes and no. You have a base price for a new NSX around 144k because of the 20k discount incentive and dealer discounts. So if you’re trying to sell someone a 3 year old car for 130k it’s kind of laughable and relies on people being ignorant to current incentives. It also feels like you’re going to turn around in 6 months and see the exact same car for sale for 30k less retail. No thanks.

also there are plenty of 2019s for less than 130k. The 2017 pricing is all over the place and illogical.

Last edited:
The 2017 pricing is all over the place and illogical.

Wasn't that true of 2017 pricing even when they were brand new? I know I'm one of those people who had put a deposit on one a couple of years in advance, then when it came close to delivery time my dealership told me they were adding a $40k "market adjustment" that I would have to accept in writing or lose my place in line. Needless to say, I got my deposit back that day.

Wasn't that true of 2017 pricing even when they were brand new? I know I'm one of those people who had put a deposit on one a couple of years in advance, then when it came close to delivery time my dealership told me they were adding a $40k "market adjustment" that I would have to accept in writing or lose my place in line. Needless to say, I got my deposit back that day.

The market adjustment was so they could recoup some of the $150k that they dealers had to spend on buying NSX specific tools and machinery to service the car. Many selling dealerships don't even service the cars they sold and lost a shit load of money. I've seen he stupid configurator display sitting in the corner of most Acura dealerships the last time I was in one a year ago. I offered the manager $1000 cash for it. It would have looked good in my garage as a tool stand. :D

You're probably right on their reasoning, DocL, but it just goes to show how unprepared some Acura dealers were for a car like this. Trying to make their tooling and display costs back on the first couple of buyers was sheer lunacy, and played a big part in killing the initial buzz around the car. And if you can't get buzz right when a new model like this is released, you're really never going to get it. They could have sold (and therefore serviced) a lot more cars without being needlessly greedy at the start.

You're probably right on their reasoning, DocL, but it just goes to show how unprepared some Acura dealers were for a car like this. Trying to make their tooling and display costs back on the first couple of buyers was sheer lunacy, and played a big part in killing the initial buzz around the car. And if you can't get buzz right when a new model like this is released, you're really never going to get it. They could have sold (and therefore serviced) a lot more cars without being needlessly greedy at the start.
I agree. The new Corvette in many instances was sold at MSRP. That makes a big difference especially when it is first available. The lead buyers are folks who will influence others to purchase. If you kill them off with outlandish prices you end up slowing the whole process down. As for selling used NSX vehicles. If you have a 2020 base car at $160k less $30,000 discount that equates to a price of $130k. Then compare with an optioned 2017 that originally MSRP for say $190k and now is selling for 120k with certification. If the 2017 is low in mileage I don't see why someone would automatically walk away. It depends on what someone wants with respect to options. Once you purchase there is buyers remorse for not getting what you wanted in the first place.

There was definitely friction early on with corporate and some of the dealers....

To add to the discussion of the tools. I can’t even get my local David McDavid Acura dealer to give me quotes on NSX services. Asked 3 times and they always say they will call back and don’t. I’ve bought 2 cars from these people in the past and their service has always been excellent like wtf how can you not have readily available pricing.

Do they have a tech that went to training?

Used or New?

I had a 1991 NSX and loved her. As I mentioned, I will likely buy an NC1 by year's end. So far the stock market has been kind to me. If I'm lucky, money may not be of any consequence. Already the 2019s in the low 120's are tempting me. Now if I could get a blue one like your's I just might pull the trigger!

You can get a new NSX for 135K. May be worth it if you don't want a lot of options. The used NSX's become good values when they are loaded with carbon fiber.

I got only the spoiler on my NSX, so I went new.

You can get a new NSX for 135K. May be worth it if you don't want a lot of options. The used NSX's become good values when they are loaded with carbon fiber. I got only the spoiler on my NSX, so I went new.
That makes a lot of sense. If you want a lot of options which can quickly add up to some real coin then getting a used one is a good approach to take. Now that you can add an extended warranty means that the used car market is not such a bad way to go. With a new car you get the benefit of optimized software for the electric motors and suspension which the older cars cannot currently get. Otherwise tires and sway bars can be had aftermarket.

That makes a lot of sense. If you want a lot of options which can quickly add up to some real coin then getting a used one is a good approach to take. Now that you can add an extended warranty means that the used car market is not such a bad way to go. With a new car you get the benefit of optimized software for the electric motors and suspension which the older cars cannot currently get. Otherwise tires and sway bars can be had aftermarket.
all those updates were 2019+ right? 2019 is what I’m planning on getting unless I’m missing some huge upgrades

Yes, the 2020 added a color but no performance enhancements as far as I know. So getting the 2019 will afford you those improvements. I frankly will probably never drive the car in a way where I would need or appreciate those changes (software for the motors and struts). I have the sway bars from Eibach which are significantly larger in diameter than the OEMs that came on the car. So I already benefit in that I can carve up corners and bends pretty nicely.

Yes but he’s not the one answering the phone. They claim to have a tech that’s certified. They are the only Acura dealer in north Austin.

I left Oakland Acura a voicemail awhile back to inquire about maintenance costs, and got crickets sadly. I have a feeling I'd have my car serviced at Fremont Acura based on how great they have been so far.

I hear that oil change prices vary from $275 to $350 depending on the dealership. I recently had the oil changed and also brake system flush. The oil change cost me $300 and the brake flush was $150. I am ok with those prices. It is a bit of work to get the car on the lift as well as keep everything clean especially since they go through the rear trunk to access the oil filter. The tech took his time and was really careful with the car. I believe it takes 8 quarts of Honda Oil.

I love the Gen1 obviously with having had three of them over the years, but I find it funny seeing some people asking more for their 30K mile 2003 than what some very clean 10K mile NC1 prices are going for...lol

Sorry, but I'm taking the NC1 every time .....although I don't know if any of those outrageous priced NA2's are actually selling as they seem to be on those sites for months and months.

The problem right now the the NC1 is that there are so many great choices in the $100-125k price range from R8's, GT4's, F-cars, Lambos etc... and even the new C8 fully loaded still less then $100K

But if I had say $115K burning a hole in my pocket.....NC1 would be top of my list, but there are some really great choices in that price range right now

This bad boy with 3700 miles asking $117,500 is perfect!!

6157a6238d7a48428158cd68b69e4a5a.jpg

Last edited:
But if I had say $115K burning a hole in my pocket.....NC1 would be top of my list, but there are some really great choices in that price range right now

This bad boy with 3700 miles asking $117,500 is perfect!!

I dunno, aren't there still, like, $30K in incentives on new NSXs? I'd have a hard time paying $118K for a used 2017 when I could get a new 2020 for $130K.

I dunno, aren't there still, like, $30K in incentives on new NSXs? I'd have a hard time paying $118K for a used 2017 when I could get a new 2020 for $130K.
Keep in mind that the car that is $118, has a lot more options than the 2020 for $130k. Depends on what you want of course.

I’d make sure you pick one up with CCB’s. Excellent setup on these cars, very robust and the lack of dust is just wonderful. Many times the cheaper cars do not have them.

Back