• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Uverse vs Netflix

Looking for feedback on netflix vs subscription tv packages(uverse, directv, Time warner etc).

I currently have the U300 package with uverse and the 6mb internet service. Im paying 163.00 monthly for the tv and internet and i have no real complaints, other than i don't watch very many of the channels and movies. I have a few shows i like and i do listen to the music stations, watercolors, smooth jazz, etc. I see that netflix lets you rent dvd's and stream movies, TV shows etc, and it looks to be a cheaper alternative to what I have. Working offshore for 21 days at a time it seems to be a waste to come home and watch movies that i already have the dvd on. Plus the cost of adding cable boxes to additional bedrooms is costly.

Since i have 2 media center pcs in the house and 2 spare bedrooms, i thought of adding this to the mix so company that stayed over can view pics, music or movies on my home network. Seems to be better than apple tv AND it plays blu-ray iso's. Also it too will be able to stream netflix. I like it because its small and does so much.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-NeoTV-NTV550-Ultimate-Player/dp/B004EEOA9U

Last edited:
Kelley,
My wife's netflix subscription is under $10 a month. We get 1 movie at a time, plus all the available downloadable movies we want on 3 (or 5) devices. If we drop a movie in the mail on Monday, we'll usually have the next movie by Thursday, sometimes even Wed. The worst thing about it is spending the time picking out the movies you want to see, but for you it makes sense during your time on the rig. At times I'll add TV Show box sets just to keep the service busy. I like the downloadable movies, not all the Netflix collection are available, but lots are.

As for the Netgear adapter, I haven't seen it, but it does look more flexible than the Apple TV. It's more expensive, but surely does more.
Mark

I used to have hob and shiwtime, then realized that other than entourage I never find anything good on. Ip dropped them both in lieu of netflix, I like it, I have the DVD plus blurry option so i think it's about $12 per month or so. I have watched more stuff via netflix than I ever di with the prvious premium channels, including some tv series, just got into psyche so catching up on old seasons.

Btw i have bright house and the service always has issues, thinking about uverse, how do you like it?

I have the DVD plus blurry option so i think it's about $12 per month or so.

I think the "blurry" option comes standard on all Netflix streaming services. :biggrin::biggrin: JK

The streaming video and audio quality, even for HD and with a fast connection, still isn't going to be on par with a real dvd or bluray disc, but the
ability to get content NOW when you want it can't be ignored. And they still have their traditional disc mailing service...... for now.

We have Netflix too and it's a great service. Whether or not you replace your TV service really comes down to how much Live TV you watch. My GF watches lots of shows on regular TV that still can't be streamed from their websites afterwards so we still use it heavily, Netflix is just an add-on. But if all you watch is movies and TV shows that are already available on dvd and for streaming, I don't see a reason to pay the high price for live service.

Last edited:
Looking for feedback on netflix vs subscription tv packages(uverse, directv, Time warner etc).

I currently have the U300 package with uverse and the 6mb internet service. Im paying 163.00 monthly for the tv and internet and i have no real complaints, other than i don't watch very many of the channels and movies. I have a few shows i like and i do listen to the music stations, watercolors, smooth jazz, etc. I see that netflix lets you rent dvd's and stream movies, TV shows etc, and it looks to be a cheaper alternative to what I have. Working offshore for 21 days at a time it seems to be a waste to come home and watch movies that i already have the dvd on. Plus the cost of adding cable boxes to additional bedrooms is costly.

Since i have 2 media center pcs in the house and 2 spare bedrooms, i thought of adding this to the mix so company that stayed over can view pics, music or movies on my home network. Seems to be better than apple tv AND it plays blu-ray iso's. Also it too will be able to stream netflix. I like it because its small and does so much.
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-NeoTV-NTV550-Ultimate-Player/dp/B004EEOA9U

i have universe and netflix.
my wife watches universe, i usually watch foreign movies on netflix.
they are different content.

Kelley,
My wife's netflix subscription is under $10 a month. We get 1 movie at a time, plus all the available downloadable movies we want on 3 (or 5) devices. If we drop a movie in the mail on Monday, we'll usually have the next movie by Thursday, sometimes even Wed. The worst thing about it is spending the time picking out the movies you want to see, but for you it makes sense during your time on the rig. At times I'll add TV Show box sets just to keep the service busy. I like the downloadable movies, not all the Netflix collection are available, but lots are.

As for the Netgear adapter, I haven't seen it, but it does look more flexible than the Apple TV. It's more expensive, but surely does more.
Mark

Yeah the netgear adapter will work well in the other bedrooms once i get the entire home network thing going. Everytime i look at something to buy, months later is obsolete!!!! neotv for movies and music seems good.

I used to have hob and shiwtime, then realized that other than entourage I never find anything good on. Ip dropped them both in lieu of netflix, I like it, I have the DVD plus blurry option so i think it's about $12 per month or so. I have watched more stuff via netflix than I ever di with the prvious premium channels, including some tv series, just got into psyche so catching up on old seasons.

Btw i have bright house and the service always has issues, thinking about uverse, how do you like it?

I like uverse because i can watch dvr'd shows on any reciever and there is no ugly dish and wires running along the house. I had Directv for years and LIVED on the music channels. i'd run them through a reciever and listened all day. The uverse music channels suck compared to the directv option. For some reason the uverse/motorola remotes suck as well. Well i have silver ones my father in law has some black ones, not sure it they are new or not. Uverses router is kinda slow but adequate. I wish you could build your own packages with uverse.

We have netflix, Blu-ray, 2 movies, and streaming. I believe it's 18 a month. 3 day process gettting the movie, 1st day sent back to netflix, 2nd day they receive and send out new, 3rd receive a new one. Streaming has some new movies and shows, but usually not the latest. They have a 1 month free trial I believe. I usually copy the movie and send it back the next day to watch at a later time.

So its ok to get off uverse and go full fledged with netflix and possibly hulu? I have a ps3, xbox 360, a 360 slim and a gateway media center pc. Does one stream better over the other? I have 6 mb internet speed, should I go higher? I realize this isn't an av forum. I'm a member of one but get faster responses here!

So its ok to get off uverse and go full fledged with netflix and possibly hulu? I have a ps3, xbox 360, a 360 slim and a gateway media center pc. Does one stream better over the other? I have 6 mb internet speed, should I go higher? I realize this isn't an av forum. I'm a member of one but get faster responses here!

I've got 6mb broadband and streaming netflix has never been a problem.

The picture quality is impressive on some of the streamed HD movies...good on 95% and unacceptable on a few.

PS3 is what I use. Get the bluetooth remote and you're set. :biggrin:

I've got 6mb broadband and streaming netflix has never been a problem.

The picture quality is impressive on some of the streamed HD movies...good on 95% and unacceptable on a few.

PS3 is what I use. Get the bluetooth remote and you're set. :biggrin:

Got the info. Glad to hear 6mb is enough, i was ready to try out the 24mb in my area!! Thanks!

Back