• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Value on questionable title

He guys, new here trying to join your ranks but i have a question. Would you guys be able to ball park the value of 91' Manual with under 40k miles? One caveat the car has a clean title right now BUT Carfax shows that at some point about 25 yrs ago the car was stolen then recovered and issued a salvaged title. It was issued a clean title the year after and since then shown odometer reports with everything fine. Thanks for any help!

yes racerwing did some great work....also spend some time cruising around prime...it is the source for all things nsx and searchable.

He guys, new here trying to join your ranks but i have a question. Would you guys be able to ball park the value of 91' Manual with under 40k miles? One caveat the car has a clean title right now BUT Carfax shows that at some point about 25 yrs ago the car was stolen then recovered and issued a salvaged title. It was issued a clean title the year after and since then shown odometer reports with everything fine. Thanks for any help!

I think the important information here would be what state issued the salvage title and what state issued the clean title. Stolen ones are tough because some states mandate a salvage title if it is labeled as stolen even if recovered without damage. But we all know stolen can usually lead to damage even if recovered. The reason I bring up which state issued the clean title is because 25 years ago (and probably even still today) you could title a car in a state that didn't recognize the salvage title and get a clear one essentially washing the title. But if the same title that issued the salvage also issued the new clean title then some of that worry could possibly be alleviated.

From a bit of research it looks like it may have been title washed, what I’m worried about is that I would be registering it in the original state that issued the salvage title so will it revert back to salvage after 25 years of having a “clean” title? And will that affect the value much, most cars a salvage title is a death sentence but then again most cars aren’t appreciating assets lol.

looks like i waited to long and the car got away, thanks for the help though! And the search continues...

Ehh, I don't like how some states treat theft recoveries classifying them as salvaged, it's misleading. They never bothered me, I'd personally jump on a great deal if a PPI checks out regardless of history. There could be just as equal chance of a non-stolen vehicle get damaged or neglected and repaired without ever showing up on a report, which is why inspection adds assurance.

If you're using a washed title as leverage for bargaining that's great. If you're genuinely concerned about resell value, then I fear you may not enjoy the vehicle to the highest excitement potential. Some cars are perfectly content being museum pieces; and sure the NSX is great to look at, but it's even better to drive.

I know a guy who trailers his 90's Ferrari to the base of a mountain twisty road, unloads it, gently drives it 3-4 miles up the road, turns around, drives back, and loads it back onto the trailer. It's quite the production.

If you're using a washed title as leverage for bargaining that's great. If you're genuinely concerned about resell value, then I fear you may not enjoy the vehicle to the highest excitement potential. Some cars are perfectly content being museum pieces; and sure the NSX is great to look at, but it's even better to drive.

It was going to be a little of column A and a little of column B lol. I always flog every car i get but its easier getting the purchase past the wife if i can sell it to her as more than just an additional toy for me to burn money on.

Back