• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VIDEO: Why Doesn't Your NSX Have A Turbo Yet?

I just finished my quick little video of my car with Angus' AP-X Turbo on it..
If you click the link at the bottom you can watch it in much higher quality (It is 720p, and you can download the original 720 wmv of it from vimeo for the next week)

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11797896&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11797896&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/11797896">Why Doesn't Your NSX Have A Turbo Yet?</a>

Features (sprinkling of keywords for people searching in the future):
* My Sebring Silver 91 with Angus / AP-X Turbo (7psi on street, 9psi in dyno clip)
* Tial 50mm BOV
* Air / Air Intercooler
* Borla muffler / exhaust

Well it was worth the wait! Are you using the AEM Tru boost controller? That has been the best boost controller I have used as of yet with my turbo cars.

Well it was worth the wait! Are you using the AEM Tru boost controller? That has been the best boost controller I have used as of yet with my turbo cars.

No just the AEM boost guage and a turbosmart boost tee. I was considering going to the tru boost just so I'd have some decimal places on my gauge.. I have no idea if it is 7.0 psi or 7.8 because it just says 7.
That and I need to get a nav pod or one of those I's Impact guage things to move those up where I can see them.. and put something else like oil temp and fuel pressure in those holes.

For anybody else thinking about going with a turbo I don't recommend putting the gauges down where mine are.

Great video thanks for sharing!

I didn't want it to end.:biggrin:

Thanks! It is a bit short just because I filmed all of it in one day (not including the dyno part). The Milk Run video took me like 6 weekends of filming and I didn't want to do that again this time. :tongue:

Nice, let me know what you go for with a pod and where you get it and how much, I need to move on up myself.
Trev

Sweet video! You tune up at MPS in bellingham or did crescent tune it down south? He had invited me out when he was tuning a NSX few weeks back but was working and couldnt make it.

Thanks for the vid, but, like all the other turbo vids out there, it's missing the most important part for me - throttle response!

Neutral revs below and above boost, (think stabs from 600-3000, 600-8300rpm in neutral) quick rev matching downshifts, throttle modulation in corner exit acceleration. This is the true test of a modern turbocharged car; areas where the GTR, Mclaren MP412-C and Porsche Turbo's perform very well.

Tunnels would be a nice add as well.

Thanks.

Thanks for the vid, but, like all the other turbo vids out there, it's missing the most important part for me - throttle response!

I'll think about that for next time.

Sweet video! You tune up at MPS in bellingham or did crescent tune it down south? He had invited me out when he was tuning a NSX few weeks back but was working and couldnt make it.

Yeah it was up at MPS.

Nice vid. It would take me all of an hour before the BOV would drive me nuts though.... :tongue:

It is kinda relaxing, like a sigh. :biggrin: I was at the track today and it didn't bother me at all.

Nice vid! But it looks to me like you're intercooler core is right in line with the rear tires? Doesn't seem like the most ideal area if you're looking for longevity of the core. . :confused::confused:

Nice vid. It would take me all of an hour before the BOV would drive me nuts though.... :tongue:

Its all about the bov!!!! lol. That was the best part of my rx7. People know you mean business....I would get a license plate that said EVOTHIS. But either way that was a sweet video. You should make some more for sure.

I enjoyed the show and it makes me yearn for clearer weather in CA.

August 15th is the H&R Mt baker cruise, should come along and do a video of climing baker :biggrin:

Cozmo has about the loudest BOV you can get , you could always get a quiet one or recirc it.

Cozmo has about the loudest BOV you can get , you could always get a quiet one or recirc it.

Recirculating with a silencer makes it completely inaudible. I prefer the atmospheric blow off valves but they are quite ricey :p.

I have ridden in one turbo NSX, and after watching your video I have to ask, why is it that aftermarket turbos you can definitely hear the turbo spooling? The only other turbo cars I have ridden in are Porsche 911 turbos and you can't hear the turbo spool at all. Are they insulating the turbo or is it because they don't have dump tubes?

The reason I ask, is that I know some of you love the turbo noise and the bov, but if/when I pull the trigger on a turbo kit I want to know how to approach it to make it as much like OEM'ish as possible. I know that you can use a by-pass valve and recirc to get rid of the bov noise, but is the turbo spool noise coming from the turbo or the dump tube?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfLmUjal2Iw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfLmUjal2Iw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
411 RWHP on 91, roughly what would this same exact setup at 9psi yield on the 02+? How much can the OEM internals on this motor take without issue?

Great video by the way!

Back