• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Vinyl Wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Direct vendor group buy

Minimum Number of Units: 25 yard per color

Maximum Number of Units: Unlimited per color

Closing Date : December 1st 2011

Product Will Ship: After the group buy is closed

Payment Procedure: No deposit, payment due prior to shipping

Payment Methods Accepted (indicate any convenience fees): Paypal, Bank Check, Swift Payment ($25 fee)

Estimated Delivery Time / Date: Within 10 days of group Buy closing

Product Pricing: $32.50/yard for over 25 yards total, $44.00/yard for less than 25 yards total

Shipping & Insurance Costs (if not included): $12 for US Domestic (48 states), Other locations quoted as actual rate

Signup List:
Colors:
Matte White (Same material as the car below)
1. synergy004 (12 yards)
2. sduffass (12 yards) Paid
3. SFDreamer (17 yards) Paid
4. grtahoang (12 yards) Paid

Matte Black
1. IsR (12 yards)
2. RedWings (6 yards) Paid
3. Moses (6 yards) Paid

Product Info, Photos, etc.: see below

I have had quite a few inquiries on the vinyl wrap material so I thought I would put a group buy together to get the price down for everyone.

6253073074_6dea67fba0_o.jpg

This material is made by Oracal (a German company) and is a 4mil PVC Vinyl. It is specially made for car wrapping. It has a special air release backing that goes on dry and allows you to work out any trapped air. I sampled the comparable 3M material. It was very nice but the Oracal adhesive is a bit easier to work with and reposition. The Oracal vinyl is very tough and UV protected. The material sells anywhere from $35-60 per yard (60" wide). My supplier will give me a better price the more I buy. An NSX will use about 12 yards (that will give you a little extra). If I can get a minimum of 3 people to commit to each color I can get the sell price down to $32.50/yard with $12 US shipping. This is not limited to 3. that is only the minimum

There are other "gloss" colors available but I will start with these and add any colors to the group buy as needed.
Here is a listing of all the colors:

Information added for group buy post compliance:
This is a Group buy with us (Carbon 6 Composites) as a US Distributor for the manufacturer. We will buy, separate yardage, and re package accordingly
This Group Buy will run Until Dec 1st 2011.
Material will be ordered on December 1st 2011 and delivered to us within 3-5 days. Then forwarded to buyers (within 6 business days inside the US)
Payment will be requested on November 21st and finalized on November 30th (if we receive the required minimum qty)
This is not limited to 3 buyers per color. That is a minimum required to get the special pricing. Each person after the first 3 will be added as needed for the same price.

Payment Methods:
Paypal
Bank Draft
Swift Payment

Shipping for domestic 48 states is $12 (includes insurance)
Shipping for outside 48 states tbt by physical location.

Jeff

Last edited:
So $390 plus shipping? That sounds too cheap. :biggrin:

So $390 plus shipping? That sounds too cheap. :biggrin:

Correct, $390 plus $12 shipping inside the continental US.
Keep in mind, if you decide to pay with Paypal, I will only ship to verified Paypal addresses. I will also accept Swift Payments (wire transfers) but there will be a $25 wire fee added.

Jeff - i've been waiting for someone to do this for a long time. For the past 3yrs every vendor i've asked on here seems so secretive on their pricing and sizing etc. I was on the fence over how much to use and never pulled the trigger. Thanks for clearing that up for us!

Does the 12yrds include the canopy? If one was to leave that OEM does that mean only 11yards?

Do you know if Oracal has a Matte Pearl White?

Also, about how long is the shelf life on these (if you know..)? I won't be able to do this until next year or so.

Thanks!

Jeff - i've been waiting for someone to do this for a long time. For the past 3yrs every vendor i've asked on here seems so secretive on their pricing and sizing etc. I was on the fence over how much to use and never pulled the trigger. Thanks for clearing that up for us!

Does the 12yrds include the canopy? If one was to leave that OEM does that mean only 11yards?

Do you know if Oracal has a Matte Pearl White?

Also, about how long is the shelf life on these (if you know..)? I won't be able to do this until next year or so.

Thanks!

12 Yards will include the roof, hood, deck lid, fenders, doors, rear quarters, front bumper, rear bumper. With an additional 1-2 yards. The material will store fine (inside) for an extended period of time. I would not recommend trying to install it with an ambient temp' of less than 70 deg'. Also, you must remove all wax from the surface of your car before installation. I recommend washing the car with Dawn (or other dish soap) and wiping it down with rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol) to remove any remaining wax and oil from the paint finish before installation.

The matte white does have a slight "pearl" look to it in indirect light.

12 Yards will include the roof, hood, deck lid, fenders, doors, rear quarters, front bumper, rear bumper. With an additional 1-2 yards. The material will store fine (inside) for an extended period of time. I would not recommend trying to install it with an ambient temp' of less than 70 deg'. Also, you must remove all wax from the surface of your car before installation. I recommend washing the car with Dawn (or other dish soap) and wiping it down with rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol) to remove any remaining wax and oil from the paint finish before installation.

The matte white does have a slight "pearl" look to it in indirect light.
I had a brain fart when I first replied. I've had wrapping on my brain for so long I forgot I had the car clear-bra'd this summer since I couldn't wait any longer. If only this came up a few months ago.

To everyone else...
This is a FANTASTIC deal gentlemen. Trust me on this one... Jeff is doing everyone a favor with this.

My only concern is the front bumper. Isn't that next to impossible to wrap in one peice?

Also, can rock chips be wrapped over?

My only concern is the front bumper. Isn't that next to impossible to wrap in one peice?

Also, can rock chips be wrapped over?

I would not wrap a bumper with deep rock chips in it. They will translate through. Light paint chips and scratches will cover well.

It's easier if you have someone help you to hold the material while applying. The bumpers can be tricky.... just need to be patient and pull out all the wrinkles.

RYU I had the same thing when I asked about it.
every vendor was so hush hush and avoids questions with new questions etc.

its probably cuz you can get a half mile from the factory for like 30 bucks. including OEM colors like LBBP
LOL

just kidding but it was weird you said that.

My concern is actually having the ability to install a complete wrap in a manner that looks perfect. I've watched videos over and over and I still can't grasp the level of effort and expertise that would be required.

I also can't justify the $2500 quotes I've received when inquiring for installation.

Who here as actually done this as a DYI project, on first attempt, without a single crease?

My concern is actually having the ability to install a complete wrap in a manner that looks perfect. I've watched videos over and over and I still can't grasp the level of effort and expertise that would be required.

I also can't justify the $2500 quotes I've received when inquiring for installation.

Who here as actually done this as a DYI project, on first attempt, without a single crease?

I too have been looking all over for DIY articles and videos. But dang $2500 sounds nice, I haven't received anything under $5800.

ditto....i'm thinking i'll need a lot of xanax if i tried this...i tried in vain to wrap the front crossbeam with some 3m di-noc recently and almost popped a blood vessel, i got so frustrated....

This is not an "entry level" DIY, for sure. I figure 2 guys with modest levels of know how can wrap a whole car in a weekend. Option 2, do the panels you think you can do yourself and have a professional shop do the rest.

This material is very forgiving, I had to do my hood in 7 pieces. You would never tell unless you were write up close and someone pointed it out.

It's a wrap. it's temporary. It's never going to be perfect.

I can send samples of the material for those who are interested. Just PM me your address...

How much would I need just to cover the top? Also I assume matte black would not be the best option and would need a gloss black correct?

Can we buy for other cars? I have a Lexus GS I would like to wrap. How much yardage would I need?

I wanted to clarify this group buy.
The price listed is based on us purchasing complete rolls of material. That is why I need 3 buyers at 12 yards each to get the group buy price. If we have any other color that I get a minimum or 25 yards total purchased, I can offer the same price.

Less than Minimum purchases:
Buyers looking for less than 25 yards (total) of a color, I can still offer the material but because of the manufacturers cut charges and packaging costs the material will be $44/yard (60" wide). Please let me know if you are serious on these colors and I will start a new color list above in case anyone wants to add on. Keep in mind however, if we do not get to the 25 yard minimum amount. The material will be $44/yard.

Other vehicles:
This is a universal material and can be put on anything with a clean/gloss finish. I do not have enough experience with other cars to determine the amount needed to wrap. General Rule, Compact cars (10 yards), Mid sized (12-14 yards), Large cars (15-17 yards).

Technique and application:
There is a lot of "secret" installing a wrap but not because those who know don't want to tell you. There are different techniques. Trying to tell someone how to install it is like telling someone how to be a good golfer. Ultimately, you need to do it yourself to learn.

I am trying to offer this material at a price point where anyone can afford to try it themselves with a high end product. Honestly, by the time I cover my packaging and time to recut material, It's a wash for me. I will do the best I can to answer questions but keep in mind, I am no "professional" car wrapper either.

Jeff

Gents, like I mentioned earlier. Jeff is doing everyone a favor here. He's also right... this is not an easy job. Doable by the average DIY'er? I'd like to think so. However, if you can do your own timing belt... the skills are not really transferable. If you think you can install tint then you're a shoe in. It's a lot of skill, practice, and patience involved. I wrapped a spare rear valance with some cheap vinyl and i'd say I did a 7 out of 10 job. The material matters A LOT and Oracal is good stuff.

The trick is to work with a material that's breathable, has quality adhesive that acts like 3M post-its at first then cures later, and flexible enough but not too stretchable. You also need that rubber squeegy thingy and a good spray bottle. Mix one with soap and water and one with alcohol and water. Soap and water for the areas you want to stretch and slide. Use alcohol and water for the areas you want to tact down. I don't think the bubbles will annoy as much since over time they'll evaporate thru the material or you can poke them with a sharp needle. For me it was the creases around the rounded edges that killed me and made me want to give up. You need to prep for the 3rd corner and anticipate how the material will "mold" before you lay down the first corner. Heat gun should be used sparingly imho.

It would also be helpful to raise up the car on all 4 jackstands since our cars sit so low and you'll want to grab a stool. Would also help to have a low dust garage or something. I had specs of dirt show thru when I lost patience towards the end.

Anyway... the experts will have their own trade secrets which i'm sure they will not disclose. I'm just a hack and this is how I've done partial wraps before. Never a whole car yet...

Doable? Yes! Don't let me discourage!

Gents, like I mentioned earlier. Jeff is doing everyone a favor here. He's also right... this is not an easy job. Doable by the average DIY'er? I'd like to think so. However, if you can do your own timing belt... the skills are not really transferable. If you think you can install tint then you're a shoe in. It's a lot of skill, practice, and patience involved. I wrapped a spare rear valance with some cheap vinyl and i'd say I did a 7 out of 10 job. The material matters A LOT and Oracal is good stuff.

The trick is to work with a material that's breathable, has quality adhesive that acts like 3M post-its at first then cures later, and flexible enough but not too stretchable. You also need that rubber squeegy thingy and a good spray bottle. Mix one with soap and water and one with alcohol and water. Soap and water for the areas you want to stretch and slide. Use alcohol and water for the areas you want to tact down. I don't think the bubbles will annoy as much since over time they'll evaporate thru the material or you can poke them with a sharp needle. For me it was the creases around the rounded edges that killed me and made me want to give up. You need to prep for the 3rd corner and anticipate how the material will "mold" before you lay down the first corner. Heat gun should be used sparingly imho.

It would also be helpful to raise up the car on all 4 jackstands since our cars sit so low and you'll want to grab a stool. Would also help to have a low dust garage or something. I had specs of dirt show thru when I lost patience towards the end.

Anyway... the experts will have their own trade secrets which i'm sure they will not disclose. I'm just a hack and this is how I've done partial wraps before. Never a whole car yet...

Doable? Yes! Don't let me discourage!

just a quick correction. This material goes down dry. You do not use any solution to apply. It has a 2 stage adhesive that can be lightly placed and removed to re-locate many times.

just a quick correction. This material goes down dry. You do not use any solution to apply. It has a 2 stage adhesive that can be lightly placed and removed to re-locate many times.
That's even better!

Ignore me... it seems i'm way too old school and need to update myself. If that's the case this process should be significantly easier for the avg DIY'er.

Good luck guys!

Please post some pics when done!

This stuff heats up perfectly fine with a regular blow dryer and feel a heat gun will be way to much heat. Like Vroom said, it can be removed and repositioned many times.

I'd like to see someone take this same material and show an example of how they would do a complicated section around the front bumper or even the rear bumper corners, or even how and where you would stop exactly for the door jams...

I'd like to see someone take this same material and show an example of how they would do a complicated section around the front bumper or even the rear bumper corners, or even how and where you would stop exactly for the door jams...

+1 I'm hoping he can show some kind of demo or if the very least tell us where's a good place to make those cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back