• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Vinyl Wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is actually having the ability to install a complete wrap in a manner that looks perfect. I've watched videos over and over and I still can't grasp the level of effort and expertise that would be required.

I also can't justify the $2500 quotes I've received when inquiring for installation.

Who here as actually done this as a DYI project, on first attempt, without a single crease?

I'm not here to doubt anyone's DIY skills but having worked with this material for quite some time I can tell you this is NOT A DIY by any means!!!!

If you think you can do it yourself as a newbie forget it - wrapping cars is an artform, no two guys do it the same way. As with any labor intensive work you get what you pay for. I've seen shops do wraps for cheap and up close it looks, you guessed it CHEAP!

The ones that do it right charge appropriately and to wrap a car it's easily about $5k or more.

Ever try to put an iPhone screen protector on the phone with no bubbles? That is a flat surface - now think about doing it with angles everywhere. This material has a certain elastic point - once you go past that it will be damaged and eventually pull up without resin and proper installation.

We wrap small parts here at the shop but I would never attempt a full car wrap, just impossible for any normal Joe if you ask me. Keep in mind there's a lot of disassembly of oem panels in certain cars so not only do you need a good installer but also one knowledgeable about the NSX. This is sort of like going to a body shop and trusting the guy to remove your panels. And don't forget just like we want original body paintwork, once a panel is removed it will never be the same re-installed....just some things to think about.

IMO use the wrap for interior panels and small parts - save the entire car wraps for professionals or show cars.

I wanted to post a few clarifications.

The reason for this group buy is to offer a source to benefit those who want to wrap their car or purchase this high end material and pay a profession to do it. I am not an expert nor am I willing to offer tech support. I have wrapped my own car and realize with some learning curve it can be done, and well.

That being said, if you are concerned about the back side of your panels, under your deck lid etc. this may not be a process for you as a DIY or professional installation. If you are looking for a temporary change or want to see what you car looks like in another color before painting... then yes, you may want to consider vinyl wrapping it.

As for DIY, I think it can be done. I do realize my other experience with composite materials may have given me some added skill dealing with flat material but I think a person that has a moderate to high level of general DIY skill can wrap their own car. I can not guarantee you will not make mistakes nor can I guarantee you will not waste some material. I am just saying, If I can do it, there are others that can also. If you have serious concerns that you may not be able to do it yourself, please don't.

I am offering an opportunity to buy the material at a discounted price based on a volume purchase. Nothing more or less.

Looking to firm up all the payments to get an exact yardage count by Monday the 5th. If you have not settled up with me yet, please do so by Monday.

Thank you,
Jeff

Group buy closed.
Material will be cut/packed/and shipped within 72 hours.

Thank you
Jeff.

Got my order and all is well :). Thanks for taking your time to do this Vrooom! I Look forward to the final product :biggrin:

Great. I hope we get some pictures posted.

Ditto, interested in some result pics. Specially if anyone goes the DIY path. Also would like to hear from those who have wrapped their NSX without any previous experience/or similar experience.

Ditto, interested in some result pics. Specially if anyone goes the DIY path. Also would like to hear from those who have wrapped their NSX without any previous experience/or similar experience.

I will be doing the DIY route (with help from friends) and definitely will be posting pics. Sorry to say I won't be doing my NSX, but will still be able to give a good idea on how to work with the material.

what other colors are available? and how much? thx

yes i know but that doesnt mean its not available right?

I can get more material. The issue is the quantity-to-price. If you are looking for a single purchase, Contact me and I will do the best I can on price for you.

I can get more material. The issue is the quantity-to-price. If you are looking for a single purchase, Contact me and I will do the best I can on price for you.

I may be interested as well depending on price I would want white the same stuff you used. I picked up a sick deal on and A3 3.2Q but is silver (I hate Silver) I figure if I wrap it, it will help protect the paint and I can return the car back to the original color for resale in a few years when the value catches up to what I payed for it.

I may be interested as well depending on price I would want white the same stuff you used. I picked up a sick deal on and A3 3.2Q but is silver (I hate Silver) I figure if I wrap it, it will help protect the paint and I can return the car back to the original color for resale in a few years when the value catches up to what I payed for it.

PM sent.

I purchased some during the group buy, very nice material.

took a few hours earlier today to experiment with wrapping the flat horizontal plastic "bar" in the front valence since it has some minor angles and wanted to see how well the stuff sticks and looks over my xpel paint film (you can tell where the edges of the xpel film are underneath the wrap)

This stuff is like a 5' sheet of sticky electrical tape but its tougher, not as pliable (esp if the temps are cooler), fairly sticky at first but manageable then once laid down and pressure applied with a plastic scraper definitely more adhesion to the surface. Interesting material that applies well and can be massaged where you want it, especially if you heat it up a bit. Wrapping an entire car would be a total bitch and take a lot of time, patience, strategic heating of material, and several spare hands to stretch/apply/etc. I have a new-found respect for the guys that apply this stuff, not the easiest thing to do and very time-consuming.

Have found that its very helpful to have some drafting paper handy to make a test-fit template of the area where you are going to apply the material and then cut the vinyl based on that template.
Also helpful to have the sharpest exacto blade possible, surgical blades would be perfect.

Going to be wrapping the plastics on a street bike soon and fully expect it to be a very challenging experience given the odd angles, etc

can we see some pics of the other colors (not just white & black?) Thanks

There is a link on Vrooom's first post to the color sheet

yea im just trying to get a feeling of what it really looks like........ there are several colors of gray that are interesting but It would be great to see what the metallic colors look like...... anyone have any pics?

Im a new Nsx owner and i purchased 1 that the paint was not cared for and faded and clean badly burnt in some areas, i've wrapped interior parts in other cars i owned and now i figured i could give it a try to do outside wrapping since my paint was bad already i can't make it worse only better so until i get her painted i wrapped her in carbon fiber and consider this is my first time wrapping anything outside of a car, it is very difficult doing it alone. Just thought i put in my 2 cents here.

Attachments

• IMAG2942.jpg
    IMAG2942.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG2950.jpg
    IMAG2950.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I wanna see a LBBP color wrap (or as close as possible to long beach blue pearl) is that possible? :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back