• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vote to keep or lose the User Reputation system

Should we continue using the User Reputation system?

• I like it - keep it running

Votes: 73 47.7%
  • I do not like it - turn it off

Votes: 80 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Final "Campaign"

As Lud has said, the anonymous vs non-anonymous feature is a moot point.....the software is platformed on being anonymous. My very strong position is that if somebody has something to say to me - public or private - be accountable for your words and identify yourself.

With the current system, someone can leave a red or green mark without revealing their name. I vote that the reputation system be turned off. If somebody has something to say (red or green) to another PRIME member, then send a PM. Because there is an “audit trail” left in this manner, I bet a pitcher of margaritas that the red-dot slandering will taper off because the red-dot issuer will not want to defend their action. I call this “hiding behind the keyboard”.

Waitress, another round, but this time top shelf and no salt. :smile:

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Lud has said that there should be no "campaigning". But most of the posts today, including ones after he made this declaration, have simply been re-statements of positions that have already been stated in this topic. So does that mean that each of us should now re-post what we have already said? I just want to make sure that that's what we're supposed to do, because frankly, that seems rather silly...

NSX Prime said:
1. No campaigning for either side (PMs, signatures, flooding a thread, etc.). This isn't a vote for homecoming king and queen. Let people make up their own minds. If you want to state your opinion and the reasoning behind it here that is fine. That's it.
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to campaign. Just trying to understand what opponents of the system were thinking. If the reputation system goes away, I won't lose any sleep over it.

nsxtasy said:
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Lud has said that there should be no "campaigning". But most of the posts today, including ones after he made this declaration, have simply been re-statements of positions that have already been stated in this topic. So does that mean that each of us should now re-post what we have already said? I just want to make sure that that's what we're supposed to do, because frankly, that seems rather silly...
I guess that was partially my fault. I asked for clarification from some opponents, which they believe has been addressed already in their earlier posts, therefore they restated their points of view. I don't think I'm being clear enough on my question, so forget I asked it.

Not that it’s an option, but I think a positive-only reputation system would offend slightly fewer folks. :tongue:

Attachments

• if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say.PNG
    if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 306
nsxtasy said:
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Lud has said that there should be no "campaigning".

I think that the campaigning referred to viper's "no more years" and to my signature - which Lud has deleted :mad: which asked people to vote against the reputation system and linked to this thread.
This isn't going to win me any positive rep points - and even if someone feels inclined to give them please don't - but I think the reputation system is one of the stupidest most assinine things that I've ever seen. That supposed adults should be asked to "rate" the contributions of their supposed peers just seems ludicrous to me. I've been here something like 4 years - and, believe me, it didn't take long to figure out who was worth listening to, who was irritating, who was funny, who was a know-it-all, who was pedantic, who was a bit immature, and who was just not worth the electrons to respond to - and, amazingly, I was able to figure that out without the "benefit" of little green or red boxes next to the names!
Sorry to vent but for me the reputation points system is a huge negative to this forum that I have enjoyed so much over the last few years.

Originally I voted YES to keep it, but i have had a change of heart. So minus 1 point from the YES and add 1 to the NO for me. My reasoning; <B>look at how this insignificant feature is dividing us?!</B> :( It's broken the peace. It's not worth any of this.

Now let's go back to the discussion forum and talk about the NSX coz that's what I'm here for. Or the Offtopic forum and play more silly flash games. :D

Unbelievable!

Some coward gave me an anonymous negative for expressing my opinion once too often in this thread!!!! What absolute crap! Hey coward: give me your name so I can start "evaluating" your wonderful contributions to these forums!

Attachments

• rep.jpg
    rep.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: Sig
lemansnsx said:
I think that the campaigning referred to viper's "no more years" and to my signature - which Lud has deleted :mad: which asked people to vote against the reputation system and linked to this thread.
This isn't going to win me any positive rep points - and even if someone feels inclined to give them please don't - but I think the reputation system is one of the stupidest most assinine things that I've ever seen. That supposed adults should be asked to "rate" the contributions of their supposed peers just seems ludicrous to me. I've been here something like 4 years - and, believe me, it didn't take long to figure out who was worth listening to, who was irritating, who was funny, who was a know-it-all, who was pedantic, who was a bit immature, and who was just not worth the electrons to respond to - and, amazingly, I was able to figure that out without the "benefit" of little green or red boxes next to the names!
Sorry to vent but for me the reputation points system is a huge negative to this forum that I have enjoyed so much over the last few years.

I agree. It seems extremely sad to me that this reputation system is here and being used in its current form. It does two main things which I feel are extremely disruptive.

1.) It assumes that otherwise intelligent people cannot simply read a post and determine if a person is credible, or just babbling with no point whatsoever.

2.) It actually provokes more anger and less satisfaction with this site, or so it seems, since the veil of anonimity allows cowards to sling negative ratings at people with no direct accountability. Now, please let me clarify that last bit. I know that flagrant abuse of this will have the person accountable after sending a PM to NSX Prime, but this to me seems like we are regressing to 1st grade and going to find the teacher to stop a fight. What I am referring to is that I still believe that people should settle differences one-on-one without having to run to a third party to do it. Like Andy said earlier, if you have something to say to someone, say it to their face or not at all.

I know that the majority of us on here are reasonable people, and I urge everyone to try and see others points of view regardless of your position on this. In the end I hope that we all realize that no matter what happens we were all brought here for the mutual love of the NSX. Nobody is worth any more, or any less, and we all need to realize that. Thank you. :smile:

Re: Unbelievable!

lemansnsx said:
Some coward gave me an anonymous negative for expressing my opinion once too often in this thread!!!! What absolute crap! Hey coward: give me your name so I can start "evaluating" your wonderful contributions to these forums!

Yet another example of why this system does NOT help. It just creates anger. I get enough crap at work. The last thing I want is to be angry surfing NSXprime... I want to enjoy it, not worry about getting red marks.

While I have not always agreed with a few of the anonymous feedback comments I have received - particularly ones that had nothing to do with the post for which they were ostensibly awarded - I am in favor of keeping the system. Here's why.

It's very easy, with folks typing at a computer, for a discussion to get heated, with comments that escalate in intensity and even hostility. People will say things that they would never say to someone standing in front of them. Somehow, typing them into a computer seems to be less personal, and people are more apt to make comments that are hostile and hurtful, and sometimes even hateful. I know, because there have been times when I've been on the giving end as well as the receiving end. It's not something I'm proud of, but at the time, those posts seemed like they were justified.

With the reputation system in effect, I have thought twice about making such comments. I have kept them to myself and refrained from posting, or worded my replies in a way that will give the poster the benefit of the doubt and/or explain in a way less likely to be taken as a personal attack and more likely to be taken as a difference of opinion. I know that there have been posts that I have not made, that I would have made before it went into effect, just because the reputation system is there. It has also been my observation that most of the other NSXprime members who, in the past, had previously frequently made antagonistic posts containing personal attacks, have not done so since the reputation system went into effect. I don't think this is a coincidence; I think that others, like myself, have thought twice before posting, and they, too, have decided not to make such posts, just because the reputation system is in effect. They might or might not admit it, but I would place a wager ;) that this is what has happened.

Think about it - how many real mano-a-mano flame wars have broken out on NSXprime since the reputation system has gone in effect? I'm sure Lud can confirm whether or not the amount of editing/deleting of posts that he has needed to exercise for this reason has gone down (even though complaints about feedback comments received have undoubtedly added to his workload). Anyway, that's why I've voted in favor of keeping it.

As for the anonymous nature of it, I think that if you removed that, the effect of that would be that no one would ever give any negative feedback. While that might give everyone a positive score and make everyone feel good, I think that effect would also remove the reason I have stated for keeping it, namely, the incentive that it currently gives us to "play nice".

Wow. I didn't know positive reputation points could be deleted. I gave some to lemanNSX because I thought it was not fair that negative feedback was given for his opinion here. Apparently, my positive point for him was removed. :confused:

NetViper said:
I didn't know positive reputation points could be deleted... Apparently, my positive point for him was removed. :confused:
I don’t think it was removed. lemansnsx attached a cropped screenshot. Your feeback must have been on the part that was cropped out.

Last edited:
Ojas said:
I don’t think it was removed. lemansnsx attached a cropped screenshot. Your feeback must have been on the part that was cropped out.

No. I wasn't going to go into this publically - since Lud is the only one with the ability to remove reputation points - but a positive point was left for me AFTER I posted about the cowardly negative. That positive has apparently been removed - as has the similar positive that I left to indicate my approval of NetViper's contributions to this thread.

Sig said:
Perhaps he was trying to say 'Quit the winning!" and accidentally inserted a 'H' :biggrin:

ROTFLMAO! Yes - and just like the Wawa commercial says - that's not an obscene hand gesture - I'm just telling him he's number one with me. :wink:

So....... how 'bout them Steelers?

Just trying to bring a bit of levity here, but on another note.... perhaps Lud can limit this poll to voting only from here on. It is a shame that people have taken to leaving negative remarks to those who are expressing their opinions on the topic the thread was dedicated to. I think the spirit of the thread was for Lud to be able to gather information and opinions, not to have people rack up with a bunch of negative or positive reputation points on account of their on this topic.

Last edited:
lemansnsx said:
That positive has apparently been removed - as has the similar positive that I left to indicate my approval of NetViper's contributions to this thread.
While I had nothing to do with the removal of any points, I don't think the reputation system should be used just to reflect agreement or disagreement with someone's opinion. Everyone has opinions and they're not all the same. I would not give approval (or disapproval) for someone just because they agreed (or disagreed) with my opinion. However, I would give approval or disapproval if a post were particularly insightful or helpful (or hostile) - in other words, for showing qualities that should (or should not) be represented here, and make NSXprime a better (or worse) place, regardless of whether an opinion agrees or disagrees with my own. I also think that giving someone positive or negative feedback just to counterbalance someone else's feedback is an abuse of the system (but basically goes back to the same thing, since it's usually done to show agreement or disagreement with an opinion).

nsxtasy said:
. I would not give approval (or disapproval) for someone just because they agreed (or disagreed) with my opinion. However, I would give approval or disapproval if a post were particularly insightful or helpful (or hostile) - in other words, for showing qualities that should (or should not) be represented here, and make NSXprime a better (or worse) place, regardless of whether an opinion agrees or disagrees with my own. I also think that giving someone positive or negative feedback just to counterbalance someone else's feedback is an abuse of the system (but basically goes back to the same thing, since it's usually done to show agreement or disagreement with an opinion).

Ken, What do you think the majority of comments are exactly? I know the ones I get are mostly approvals of stuff - opinions or something I have said or even a photoshop of a car.

Are we only supposed to give someone a positive mark if they make some landmark contribution to the NSX world? I would bet 90% of postive comments are for stuff like I mentioned.

At first I was completely indifferent whether the reputation system stays or goes, but after reading this thread, I'm convinced it is quite useless.

NetViper said:
Ken, What do you think the majority of comments are exactly? I know the ones I get are mostly approvals of stuff - opinions or something I have said or even a photoshop of a car.

Are we only supposed to give someone a positive mark if they make some landmark contribution to the NSX world? I would bet 90% of postive comments are for stuff like I mentioned.
There's a difference between (a) providing new information - about mods, about repairs, about sales, about history, etc - and (b) expressing an opinion, particularly if it has already been stated adequately by others.

For example, in this topic, I would never go through and give approval to everyone who agreed with me to keep the reputation system, and disapproval to everyone who wanted to ban it. But it sounds (from this discussion) like that's what some people are using as a basis for awarding reputation points.

However, I would give approval for someone who expressed an opinion in an extremely articulate way. For example, I gave positive feedback to Ojas for the screen capture he posted here, showing a humorous way of entering only positive feedback. It shows creativity and humor (even though I don't agree with the idea of only allowing positive feedback).

For more examples of the kind of things that get positive feedback, that are not simply stating an opinion for people to agree or disagree with, refer to this topic.

If everyone on this site used reputation in the manner that Ken advocates, the vote would be overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the system.

Unfortunately, there is no criteria for an award of a reputation point, and I doubt very much that it is used by many people as conscientiously as Ken describes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back