• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Want to install H/I/E. Tuning after install?

Hello,
I am considering headers, intake and exhaust. When I install these components do I need to do any tuning (simimlar to adding a SC.)? I'm sure Marc, Ilya and David will lead me down the right path. Hope to see you guys soon, John.
P.S. My car is a 97.

No...these are bolt on goodies. Sure, you can get dyno time and play with fuel pressure and such, but you won't be able to extract much out of it all as you would with a SC, Turbo, or Nitrous.

JMO. -A

There is some minor tuning that Larry has done to my car which may have made a small difference. The I/H/E may have improved that a bit, but the difference is very small. In fact, I haven't gotten around to doing the headers yet. It's more toward the car running better and cleaner than putting out more power.
That said, there are chips that may give you a noticeable improvement. They basically do some of that tuning for you. Personally, I do not like aftermarket chips and will not use one on my car. I was pleased that Larry felt the same way the first time I met him and we chatted. One of the things they do is advance timing at higher RPMS.
Before installing my NOS kit we made sure to check my NSX did not have an aftermarket chip for that reason.
Having the car dyno tuned by someone VERY good is the way I go when the time comes. I played with all kinds of chips back when I had a vette. Then I finally bit the bullet and had it dyno tuned personally by one of the best for that car. It cost me, but the difference was considerable. If I ever decide to tune the computer in a car from now on, it will be that way. Never a chip, ever again.
That's the only thing I can think of on tuning a stock or I/H/E NSX. Blown or otherwise is a different story. Chips are meant for the stock (or close) application and are 1 type fits all. They do things I don't like. Chips like the Hypertech (which I don't think exist for the NSX) allow you to tune yourself. Most people who use them end up slowing down their car instead of improving it because they think they are good. They're not. Neither am I. I let the pros do it.
INMHO, dyno tuning is the way to go if you really want to get that bit of extra performance out of a I/H/E setup, but it's not necessary. You could spend that $500-$1000 better elsewhere. Unless you have an automatic, then it may be worth it.

Originally posted by ilya:
That said, there are chips that may give you a noticeable improvement. They basically do some of that tuning for you. Personally, I do not like aftermarket chips and will not use one on my car. I was pleased that Larry felt the same way the first time I met him and we chatted.

I wasn't going to buy a chip after speaking with Larry but I am glad I did because it was the best $ I ever spent for my car. I had an RM DTM and CT instake put on a few months ago, not much gain but better sound. Then I had the CT headers and bypass installed a couple of weeks ago and I was disappointed initially as I lost some low end but mid and upper end were vastly improved. I decided to give the Dali chip a try (only $250 so it would be the cheapest mod so far) while eagerly waiting to see if I could work a deal for a CT SC. Man, what a blast. I spent Sunday cruising on PCH. It was easily the best mod done so far for me. I don't know what it would do for a stock car but one with I/H/E and pipes definitely needs this. ILYA, I've been too lazy to put the car back together so if you want to come to the South Bay to check out the chip, it would take me < 1 minute (haven't bolted it back in yet) to pull my '91 ECU out and you can test it on your car. I am so satisfied with the results that if I can't get the deal on the CT SC this week, my heart won't be broken.

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I am considering headers, intake and exhaust. When I install these components do I need to do any tuning (simimlar to adding a SC.)? I'm sure Marc, Ilya and David will lead me down the right path. Hope to see you guys soon, John.
P.S. My car is a 97.

Hi John,

Absolutely, positively, do not buy headers for your car. It's a total waste of money. The Pre-97 NSX'ers can benefit from headers, but the 97+ (yours) pretty much comes with headers from the factory. Save your $$ and put it towards suspension, brakes, or an SC kit
smile.gif

As far as I know there are no chips available in the U.S. for a 95+ (OBD2) NSX that are "practical". The ECU changed for OBD2 and chipping the 95+'s isn't as easy. I think there may be some replacement ECU's available from Japan that are modified to accept chips, but this would be a whole lot of $$ for not a lot of gain.

Do you plan to add additional power mods down the road, or is this mainly it?..

Best,
Marc

Thanks for the offer Gaymond, but I wouldn't be able to chip my car regardless. Chipping and NOS is a definite no-no. Chips advance timing while NOS needs it retarded.
I'm sure the chip makes a difference, I'm just afraid of side effects in the long run. I've been burned by a chip once before and don't do them anymore. Actually, I'm pretty sure the Dali chip does do what you say. If you find that impressive, you would be even more impressed what a dyno tune by a pro will do. That's all a chip is, except it's generic and not specific for your car like dyno tuning. However, for $250 I can't argue. When I did it I left my car at the shop for a week and it cost over $500. Then again, my car was night and day after the tuning.
As long as you get no side effects from the chip it's worth the money. My first order of business are headers for my 92 to complete the system. The only reason I did NOS so early is I got a great deal and couldn't pass it up.

I have ordered a set of D.C. Headers to go with the D.C. exhaust and the intake I already have on my car (a'91).

My question is should I go with a Dali Chip as well? If so how much more H.P. could I expect just from the chip?

Originally posted by Craig:
I have ordered a set of D.C. Headers to go with the D.C. exhaust and the intake I already have on my car (a'91).

My question is should I go with a Dali Chip as well? If so how much more H.P. could I expect just from the chip?

SOTP impression is I gained as much from the Dali chip as I did with the headers after the IHE install. Looking back, I should have made it my first mod since the cost is so low (I did the socket mod myself). I'm unsure why I waited so long or even debated about whether to get it. It's the only mod that I think I got a steal on. The IHE mods are necessary but @ $3k+ (and this is after finding good deals, otherwise the tab for the IHE would be closer to $4k) the gains weren't what I expected. I don't get anything for endorsing the Dali chip (not affiliated with Dali) but I wish all the other mods made me as happy as this one did.

Back